2015 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

Shaunv28

Registered
Hey guys, here's my first post. Too bad it's one of me getting drilled by the ghost but you've got to start somewhere. I didn't shoot that well, I lost 2-7, I can only get better. I shoot in the warehouse at work on my lunch hour on a 7.5' table. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

http://goo.gl/eAeNlz

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Thanks for posting, Shaun.
That's pretty awesome that you have a place to play at work! I'm jealous.

Anyway, I'll check out your video later and add you to the list.

Cheers,
Vic

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, here's my first post. Too bad it's one of me getting drilled by the ghost but you've got to start somewhere. I didn't shoot that well, I lost 2-7, I can only get better. I shoot in the warehouse at work on my lunch hour on a 7.5' table. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

http://goo.gl/eAeNlz

Couple things what o noticed were lack of observation and planning before you start run out. You should try think how to maximize positional margin of error. Another one what you could try get better is stroke. Seem to me like you are pushing down your elbow and it gives inconsistent results. Dunno I could see it wrong also.
I did like your rhythm.
I recommend Bert Kinister 3 first instructional videos for sure improvements.

Shaunv28

Registered
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'll give that a shot. I don't have time to shoot too much right now because of work but might be inheriting my dad's Olhausen 9' table for my home in the near future.

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys. Should have been 9-0 or better. I can't believe I choked on an easy 9 ball. Oh well, now that I know I can do it, hopefully 7-0's come easier.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Beat the ghost 8-0, all table runs, no early 9 balls.

I played the 9th rack so you could see the missed shot....should have never missed the shot :angry:

Here is the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBfU_F4xnOw
When you get a chance, could you please post your table info on the Table Difficulty Factor (TDF) thread? It will be interesting to see how the difficulty level of your table stacks up against the many others already posted.

Also, please consider trying the BU playing-ability exams on your table. It will be interesting to see how well a player of your caliber can do on a 10-footer. If you do try the exams, please consider posting your scores (and videos if available) on the AZB BU thread, where many others have posted already.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried making a video playing the 9 ball ghost on a Diamond barbox the other day but it had too much glare, lost 2-7 anyway. This time I did worse, 1-7 and only because I took the 9 on the break as a win... but at least it's watchable. This was my first time on the table this morning, I'll try to do another after I've been shooting a while if I can.

https://youtu.be/ML7n4xxtf9g

Last edited:

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you get a chance, could you please post your table info on the Table Difficulty Factor (TDF) thread? It will be interesting to see how the difficulty level of your table stacks up against the many others already posted.

Also, please consider trying the BU playing-ability exams on your table. It will be interesting to see how well a player of your caliber can do on a 10-footer. If you do try the exams, please consider posting your scores (and videos if available) on the AZB BU thread, where many others have posted already.

Thanks,
Dave

Awesome! I will post the TDF tomorrow night and sometime during the week I will try to get my table set up for the exams, "Fundamentals Exam & Skills - Doctorate Level". Is the Doctorate Level the highest level exam?

Looking forward to the exams, always wondered where I stood on the latter of playing-ability.

Thanks

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Awesome! I will post the TDF tomorrow night and sometime during the week I will try to get my table set up for the exams, "Fundamentals Exam & Skills - Doctorate Level". Is the Doctorate Level the highest level exam?

Looking forward to the exams, always wondered where I stood on the latter of playing-ability.

Thanks
Sounds good. I look forward to seeing your scores and videos.

The Doctorate Exam II is the highest level exam (although, you need to first qualify with a high-enough score on Exam I). The combined scores on the two exams (Exam I and Exam II) determines your total score and rating. FYI, the whole process is described in detail in the BU Exam Instructions document and much more information (including all of the documents you need, and video demonstrations) is available on the BU Exam Resources page.

Good luck,
Dave

martind2112

Registered
Hi guys, I need some clarification on playing 6-ball Ghost. I have never played the game 6-ball.

A) Do I rack 6 balls in a triangle?
If so, do I interpret an early 6 ball as an early 9 ball (combo, on the break, etc.)?

B) Or, do I break a standard 9-ball rack, leaving all 9 balls on the table?
If so, would the Ghost be played like it spotted me the 6 (and 7, 8, 9)?

C) Or, do I break a standard 9-ball rack, always removing the same set of 3 balls (either 1,2,3 or 7,8,9)?

Thanks.

Playing my first match (using rules A), I lost 4-7.

Score (Win%), MemberID, Date, Table Type, Pocket Size, Video, Post (Other Scores)
4-7 L (36%), martind2112, 06/10/15, 9' GC3, 5 1/16", n/a, #294 ,n/a
7-6 W (54%), martind2112, 06/14/15, 9' GC3, 5 1/16", n/a, #294 ,n/a

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the contribution! 6-ball is just like 9 ball with 3 fewer balls, so A) is correct. An early 6-ball counts as a win just like with the 9-ball ghost. For racking, I suggest you put the six-ball in the middle of the last row (where the 9-ball would be if you were racking 9-ball).

6-ball can be pretty challenging as well, especially due to the fact that there isn't a guaranteed wing ball, so you'll have to run the full 6 balls a lot of the time.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
broke my ghost record today 9ball with bih. broke bad, but played the lights out (previous record was 7-4 win) : 7-2 L , 9' Diamond 4 1/2"
hoping to install a camera soon , so i can upload a couple of vid's. :thumbup:

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 - 0 Ghost Challange 6-Ball

I included the 10th rack where I believe I fouled on a split hit 5&6 ball. I also picked up the 4 ball in the 9th rack and couldn't remember where it was so I froze it on the end rail center diamond. Anyway, here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e0ww6caG7M

Dave I will try and get to Exam 1 this week. I ran through all the different exercises in Exam 1 and I do believe just that little bit enhanced my game.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave I will try and get to Exam 1 this week. I ran through all the different exercises in Exam 1 and I do believe just that little bit enhanced my game.
Im glad to hear it, and I look forward to seeing your videos and scores.

Play well,
Dave

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
OP updated, thanks. I'd love to see some more American rotation vids or even some (gasp!) 15-ball if any of you are up for it!
I gotta get back to filming too, just been bangin balls around for the last while and feel like my game has dropped since then.

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk me up for a 7-1 win playing 10-Ball on my 10' Brunswick.

I ended up with a bad leave on the 4 ball and in turn had an even worse leave on the 5 ball, missing the 5 ball the ghost wins the 7th rack, ran the 8th rack.

Youtube muted my audio, I guess AC/DC cannot be played in the background without copyright infringement. As soon as I get my 7-0 in 10 ball I'll move onto American Rotation. Here is the video. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iItSjZNjc

Dr Dave, Mike fixed my account. I changed my email address and there was an email sent to me for verification, it must have ended up in my spam folder and I didn't see it.