Do you use an aiming system or go by feel?

Do you use an aiming system or go by feel?

• I always go by feel

Votes: 153 53.5%
  • Usually by feel, with aiming systems for hard shots

Votes: 68 23.8%
  • Usually with aiming systems, by feel for easy shots

Votes: 24 8.4%
  • I always use aiming systems

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • I just hit balls very hard and hope they sink

Votes: 15 5.2%

• Total voters

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I STRONGLY advise people to play like current champions. Most Americans don't, from what i can gather.

You need to have a look at yourselves, quite frankly.

At least we play pool. You haven't provided a shred of proof that you play any billiards games at all.

You and Duckie are like twins who don't play but love to tell others how to play.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not about aiming systems it's about CTE and its derivatives and the fact that there is no prima facia case to support those that say CTE works. No math, no geometry, no physics. It's non-sensical videos and the mumbled testimonials of a few fanatics who point and say, "See! The ball went in! It must work!"

If someone is intent on trying it, no one can stop them. If someone wants to waste their time studying it and trying to make it work, no one can stop them.

OTOH, they can listen to the arguments on both sides and make up their minds as to whether they want to press forward. And in this case, *what you don't like* is that those that find fault with your system make far more sense that those who advocate for it.

So keep banging the drum but don't try to stifle the debate, because those pointing out the truth and the problems with CTE will still be here and people will go on to make up their own minds.

Lou Figueroa

Great post Lou.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It's not about aiming systems it's about CTE and its derivatives and the fact that there is no prima facia case to support those that say CTE works. No math, no geometry, no physics. It's non-sensical videos and the mumbled testimonials of a few fanatics who point and say, "See! The ball went in! It must work!"

If someone is intent on trying it, no one can stop them. If someone wants to waste their time studying it and trying to make it work, no one can stop them.

OTOH, they can listen to the arguments on both sides and make up their minds as to whether they want to press forward. And in this case, *what you don't like* is that those that find fault with your system make far more sense that those who advocate for it.

So keep banging the drum but don't try to stifle the debate, because those pointing out the truth and the problems with CTE will still be here and people will go on to make up their own minds.

Lou Figueroa

If all it was your arguments (sans proof) then that would be one thing. But you have ACTIVELY posted words to the effect of calling people delusional and now apparently have some new premise that CTE "could" cripple a player's game for life.....

You want to instill fear about CTE and other aiming methods and that is a lousy way to be in my opinion. You want to make readers afraid that trying it will mess them up and if they would only just spend more time on the table that's all they need....

Post the math that proves Ghost Ball works? And then tell us how that helps any player ever play better pool.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Shoot you? With what? My kid's water pistol? I am grown up and not the one carrying on this crusade to stop people from using CTE.

WHY are you participating in this thread?

But, you're in the stop the ghost ball mission. Lint on the table video ?

Err, I'll say it again. Pro 1 video is cheap. People who are interested in buying should buy it. I paid $40 for the first CTE material I saw.

John, look at the thread title . You just want to knock the feel shooters ?

I don't need to post on AZB or anywhere, it's a choice asshole.
So much for that.

Imo, you are actually doing CTE a disservice as what you teach is not what Stan teaches .
I asked one question. If you were honest about, it would have been done . You flipflopped and danced around it .

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
You need to read about his aiming system in context. "Advanced Snooker"

Joe Davis was teaching a student and observed that after potting the black time after time he suddenly missed it.

He examined his students mechanics and could find no fault. He asked what his student was aiming at and his student didn't have a clear explanation.

He went on to say that he must be an odd duck indeed because he always had a definite target. He goes on to explain his method.

It involves placement of a ghost ball but that is NOT the target. The target is actually the AREA of the object ball eclipsed by the ghost ball.

I read this explanation when I was about 16 and still use it today.

I pocket balls better than 99.9% of players alive today as a result.

It is obvious from the fact that JB just ignored my post that he knows nothing about playing pool.

Bill S.
Tnx Bill. I will look up that book.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I mean what is the purpose of all this argument from people like Pat Johnson, Satori, Thaiger, Joeywhatever, Lou and others?

Some person comes on the forum and says, hey folks I have a method that can improve your aiming and accuracy when playing pool do you want to try it?

And when he explains that method some people try it and report great results, some people try it and report mixed results, some people never try and it and claim it just can't work.

My point is that any person who comes on here does so with the INTENTION of trying to help others get better. Why shoot them down?

Why is there a small group of people who seem to be highly focused on destroying the whole concept of aiming systems in pool? What do these people have to offer to inspire people to play pool?

My answer is nothing. Nothing at all.

As a player who loves the game and doesn't use a system I can be at whatever level I am at and plugging away at my million balls and I don't necessarily get excited but I really love to play. If a new method comes along and I try it and I have good results then I get excited and want to play even more and practice even more and share even more. And if I don't have good results then I am in no worse position than when I started.

Why would anyone work so hard to stop this from happening? Why do they work so hard to kill the joy in learning pool?
Practice what you preach John.
You shot down Duckie's arrow . You shot down the ghost ball template . You also misrepresented what ghost ball is .

And you are trying to shoot down the result of this poll.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan Shuffett's STroke

I had a fun idea. This is something I do when I find a good view of a pro player's stroke. This video might also shed some light on what Stan does to pocket a ball (but probably not!).

Here's Stan's original video called CTE Straightens Out the Shot Part 2:

https://youtu.be/orMhr2ezftA

Here's a video analysis I did last night. Hope you find it interesting.

https://youtu.be/wpljeVvOqRs

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I encourage people to try it first without overanalyzing.
BS.

You discourage people from hearing views other than yours about how it works.

You attack people who offer views other than yours about how it works.

You try to prevent people from hearing views other than yours about how it works before trying it.

Hypocrite.

pj
chgo

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Colonel is right.

When teaching how to throw a baseball for instance... I have seen people teach the mechanics on how to throw but I have never seen someone teach a system for aiming... only where to aim.

Baseball pitching requires much less precision than cues sports do. Pitchers rely on speed, spin (or no spin in some cases), and pitch choice to fool batters into missing, or make them pop/ground out. They are always facing a third dimension, provided by gravity as the ball begins dropping the instant it is released from the pitching hand. That pretty much takes pure straight-line aiming out of the picture.

Sure, the distance is 60' 6" and not 9', but the pocket is huge by comparison. Now imagine if the pitcher had to hit another ball sitting up on a tee 30' away and drive that ball over the lower inside corner of the plate. Now that would take some aiming, wouldn't it? Thankfully the game isn't played that way, or we would be watching run after run get walked in for months at a time, with the home team never getting an at bat.

Heck, those guys aren't all that consistant anyway. They walk guys all the time, and miss wildly at times. What would you say about a top pool player that missed several shots in a match. You'd say he was in a coma. A baseball pitcher OTOH has to miss four times in a single at bat before his lack of accuracy has a negative effect on the game. More times than I can remember I've watched a top pitcher walk in a run after loading the bases with walks. That's 16 misses in a single inning. So, yeah, the precision is simply not there in baseball, nor does it need to be.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you also overly focus or "aim" the car to not cross over the line into oncoming traffic as well as staying in the middle of your lane without weaving?

You bet I did! That car seemed to have a mind of its own in the beginning. Dad taught me his system of looking way ahead and watching the space between the right front fender and the white line (alignment line?) along the shoulder and try to keep that space the same all the time. Still it was hard for awhile.

Of course, I suppose he could have taught me using the HAMC (hit a million cars) method, but I'm kinda glad I learned the way I did since I've never hit one in almost half a century of driving. And I don't even have to think about not hitting them any more, it's all automatic now. ;)

At least we play pool. You haven't provided a shred of proof that you play any billiards games at all.

You and Duckie are like twins who don't play but love to tell others how to play.

Duckie and i advocate the same way of playing that - pay attention here - every single good player EVER has.

You are perfectly free to show me the money. You've shown me jack shit, pal. Show me the damn money and I'm all over it.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a fun idea. This is something I do when I find a good view of a pro player's stroke. This video might also shed some light on what Stan does to pocket a ball (but probably not!).

Here's Stan's original video called CTE Straightens Out the Shot Part 2:

https://youtu.be/orMhr2ezftA

Here's a video analysis I did last night. Hope you find it interesting.

https://youtu.be/wpljeVvOqRs

My first comment is that the shot in question is in fact set up as close to a 30 degree angle as possible which is the conventional 1/2 ball shot in the quarters system and it has been defined that way for a hundred years. My intentions were to convey a half ball aim....and it will still be the same in a hundred more years.

At times, during demos I stun a lot of balls.....creates a lot grabbing....sometimes I do compensate for stun. I have trained myself to do that.

I can shoot the shots with finesse or draw and the balls will split the pocket minus any rolling of the hand.

Stan Shuffett

If all it was your arguments (sans proof) then that would be one thing. But you have ACTIVELY posted words to the effect of calling people delusional and now apparently have some new premise that CTE "could" cripple a player's game for life.....

You want to instill fear about CTE and other aiming methods and that is a lousy way to be in my opinion. You want to make readers afraid that trying it will mess them up and if they would only just spend more time on the table that's all they need....

Post the math that proves Ghost Ball works? And then tell us how that helps any player ever play better pool.

I sometimes wonder whether you really understand what you're saying. The onus of proof lies entirely with you. The evidence we have unequivocally points towards ghost ball as being the most efffective method of aiming, with aiming itself being unequivocally the least important skill to master.

You think otherwise because you are an APPALLING player. Disagree? Sue me.

bstroud

Deceased
I first started looking at aiming systems 60 years ago. I was 14.

There were dots, spots, lights, 1/4 ball 1/2 ball etc. many others as well.

I found "Advanced Snooker" in the library and because I was playing snooker every day studied it over and over.

I would set up a spot shot on a pool table and using the AREA method would shoot it in a race to 100. If I missed I had to start over.

There are plenty of new aiming systems today. You need to find one that conforms to the laws of Physics, not some myth, and stick with it.

Whatever method you choose you must commit it to memory and use it over and over until it becomes a habit. Only then will it be your's to trust when things go wrong.

Pool is about confidence and if you don't have confidence that you are aiming correctly you won't have the courage to execute the shot under stressful conditions.

Bill S.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I first started looking at aiming systems 60 years ago. I was 14.

There were dots, spots, lights, 1/4 ball 1/2 ball etc. many others as well.

I found "Advanced Snooker" in the library and because I was playing snooker every day studied it over and over.

I would set up a spot shot on a pool table and using the AREA method would shoot it in a race to 100. If I missed I had to start over.

There are plenty of new aiming systems today. You need to find one that conforms to the laws of Physics, not some myth, and stick with it.

Whatever method you choose you must commit it to memory and use it over and over until it becomes a habit. Only then will it be your's to trust when things go wrong.

Pool is about confidence and if you don't have confidence that you are aiming correctly you won't have the courage to execute the shot under stressful conditions.

Bill S.

Good comments.....except for the myth assertion. I can dispell that quite easily at any point with anyone.

Stan Shuffett

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I sometimes wonder whether you really understand what you're saying. The onus of proof lies entirely with you. The evidence we have unequivocally points towards ghost ball as being the most efffective method of aiming, with aiming itself being unequivocally the least important skill to master.

You think otherwise because you are an APPALLING player. Disagree? Sue me.

Who would I sue? Some random anon who probably doesn't even play pool whose opinion means nothing?

If aiming is so unimportant then why all the debate?

The evidence? What evidence? If you don't accept any evidence of CTE use then you also have zero evidence of ghost ball use. In fact according to your side there is no possible way to ascertain what any person is doing to aim since you can't see into their brain and through their eyes. And since you presume in the case of CTE users that they are all lying about it based on your posts you certainly would be expected to apply the same standard to anyone else. All those people in this poll who claim to use only feel - obviously liars who can't prove that they aim by feel......

It's funny that you are claiming that ghost ball, a method that requires the user to imagine a phantom object, is better and than a method which requires the user to draw mental lines connecting actual physical objects. That makes no sense.

But if we were to flip it and PRESUME that people who use either method are telling the truth then it becomes clear that many many people have improved their aiming through the use of CTE and other "alternative to GB" methods.

In no instructional book ever has the "math" behind ghost ball been presented or required for it to be accepted. A simple diagram is all that is needed. However with only that simple diagram and no further instructions on throw and cling a player would have a hard time making ghost ball work as a method.

Same thing for CTE, I can provide a simple diagram but instruction is better and the best instruction is in person.

And of those who get personal instruction OR who decide to study the material available on DVD and the web, the majority see improvement and success with this method.

So there is no need to prove anything further to you. Your are nobody, some anon who stumbled onto this forum years ago who likely doesn't even play pool. What you do best is serve us as a counterweight to have a reason to continue to post the demonstration videos, to post the test scores that show CTE users at the top of shotmaking contests, to post the testimonials of CTE success stories, to post the comments from top pros who use CTE etc....

Every single time you post a negative comment it is an opportunity to answer it with a positive example of CTE. Thank you.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Duckie and i advocate the same way of playing that - pay attention here - every single good player EVER has.

You are perfectly free to show me the money. You've shown me jack shit, pal. Show me the damn money and I'm all over it.

Are you upset? You and Duckie both are not even pool players based on the evidence of your posts.

I guess Stevie Moore is not a good player. Shane Van Boeing is not a good player?

Landon Shuffet is not a good player?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Practice what you preach John.
You shot down Duckie's arrow . You shot down the ghost ball template . You also misrepresented what ghost ball is .

And you are trying to shoot down the result of this poll.

Duckie ASKED us to prove why CTE is better. I did a video USING the arrow as instructed and showed why I think CTE is better FOR ME.

Anyone can do the same thing for themselves and maybe they will have other results.

This is in DIRECT RESPONSE to a DIRECT CHALLENGE by DUCKIE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMNs82JOumU

I have never told anyone not to learn GB. Quite the opposite I don't even think it's possible to learn to play without coming across GB. And in fact GB has a lot of use but in my OPINION and EXPERIENCE it is NOT the best way to aim the vast majority of shots.

bstroud

Deceased
I think that some of you are missing the main point about having an aiming system that works for you.

It's not about making the ball in the pocket. All kinds of methods will work to do that. Even no method at all. The pockets ARE after all much larger than the ball.

It is really about hitting the object ball exactly where you intend to.

Why is that so important?

Because the angle of the cue ball off the object ball determines where the cue ball is going for the next shot. And it is the next shot that matters.

I chose the area method of aiming because most of the time it gives me the largest target, something specific to focus on, and makes it easier for me to hit exactly where I intend to.

Bill S.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I learned my first Center to Edge system from my pop when I learned to drive.

Center of the hood ornament to edge of road kept the car in the lane.

:smile:

Did you also overly focus or "aim" the car to not cross over the line into oncoming traffic as well as staying in the middle of your lane without weaving?