Ball overlaps with pictures

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
The 4 pictures shown below are hand drawn and not quite to scale. The OB (dashed line) is drawn on the left side, the CB on the right. All ball centers are marked with +.

image.jpg
image.jpeg
Edit: New photo added by Vorpal Cue (Post # 3) for those who see the original image in an upside down position. The 15 & 30 degree pictures are ball quarters... .280 is 1/8th ball.

The images drawn above show the four ball contact points as red dots. The contact points are always centered inside the ball overlaps.
No matter how you aim, or how much the balls overlap, the balls contact in the center of this football shape, whether it's wide, or narrow.
This is what you look for if you're aiming CB contact point to OB contact point. It works well, but overlaps aren't equal at long distances.

More important are distances between centers of the OB and CB. The OB and CB centers are always the same distances from the CP.
This is what you look for if you're aiming double the distance past the CP from OB center. It works if you guess the distance past the CP.

This is important: The balls always contact each other between the Object Ball center and where the Cue Ball center is aimed. Repeat.

If the CB center is aimed at the points drawn on the OB, it will travel down the angles on the drawings.. 7 1/2, 15, 22 1/2 and 30 degrees.

You must know the pocket angle beforehand in order to aim your CB center. Click the link below to find how to do that... Play well, Carl

Front Of Ball... Find pocket angles before choosing your OB aim point >>>.. (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5764759&postcount=4)

>>>>> THERE'S A POCKET ANGLE TEMPLATE PICTURE ON POST #23 <<<<<

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
You can also just use back of the ball system - or the aiming by numbers method from Joe Tucker to maybe understand more easily and "see" it what Ralph has shown up and tried to explain.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Kinda hard to follow when your picture is upside down.

mista335 -
Sorry about that. I sent the picture to AZB 3 times and it always came out upside down.
I wouldn't post that picture.I finally took a picture upside down. Posted that picture and
looks OK on my iPad. I have no clue why it's nightside on mine, upside down on yours.

Regards, Carl

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Blame it on Norton. Must be a Mac user. Their pictures seem to be flipped sometimes when they're posted, so there you go.

View attachment 448606

Vorpal - thanks for flipping the picture. Both pictures are rightside up here.
I'm using an Apple iPad.. I actually took this picture upside down to post it.

It was upside down when uploaded to AZB 3 times, but it was rightside on
my iPad. I thought the picture would show up in the post upside down and
wouldn't have posted it upside down. It still looks right side up on my iPad.

Regards, Carl

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
You can also just use back of the ball system - or the aiming by numbers method from Joe Tucker to maybe understand more easily and "see" it what Ralph has shown up and tried to explain.

Ratta - I think Joe Tuckers system uses "special" balls that have numbers to match up.

I'm saying the center of the CB is aimed to certain points on the OB for known angles
No special balls needed to match numbers... no $$ to buy the balls... and it works well.

This is NOT like Joe Tucker's aiming system... Read my post before adding on to it.

What I was explaining, could easily be understood... by Albert Einstein's grandmother.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ratta - I think Joe Tuckers system uses "special" balls that have numbers to match up.

I'm saying the center of the CB is aimed to certain points on the OB for known angles
No special balls needed to match numbers... no $$ to buy the balls... and it works well.

If one uses contact points for aiming, and gets real low on the cue, this is a good point to make about ensuring one is on the contact point. They just have to raise the contact point to the top of the ball, and then have the overlap touch that spot.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

This is NOT like Joe Tucker's aiming system... Read my post before adding on to it.

What I was explaining, could easily be understood... by Albert Einstein's grandmother.

Hi Ralph,

i got you 100% :)

just wanted to say, that with seeing these numbers it s for many just an eye opener so they understand it better - as they *see it*.

No need for the numbers of course- but for some it s just another way to transfer what you ve shown up - and also another way how back of the ball works.

have a nice day Ralph.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Hi Ralph,

i got you 100% :)

just wanted to say, that with seeing these numbers it s for many just an eye opener so they understand it better - as they *see it*.

No need for the numbers of course- but for some it s just another way to transfer what you ve shown up - and also another way how back of the ball works.

have a nice day Ralph.

Ratta - Thanks for your insight on the way the back of the ball works. I appreciate your reply. :)

What I was showing on the drawings is aim points for CB center, to hit the back of the OB. Aim at your known OB point, to send it down the pocket angle.

What is not shown on the drawings is how those angles are found beforehand. Standing behind the shot, to find the angle from behind the ball is the norm
and used by most players. What if there's a better way to find your pocket angle that's more precise? What if you find your angles from the front of the OB?

Extend the CB/OB centerlines to the rail. Think of a line from the OB to the pocket. It forms an angle in front of the OB. Compare that angle to 30 degrees.
Angles could be wider or narrower than 30 degrees. If narrower, is it narrower than 15 degrees? When the angle is found (within reason) aim the CB center.

If your intended angle is exactly 7 1/2, 15, 22 1/2 or 30 degrees your OB aiming point is predetermined. If your angle is between those angles, compensate.

What I'm suggesting is find the pocket angle in front of the object ball first, then aim your CB center at the corresponding aim point on the back of the OB.

Regards, Carl

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
If one uses contact points for aiming, and gets real low on the cue, this is a good point to make about ensuring one is on the contact point. They just have to raise the contact point to the top of the ball, and then have the overlap touch that spot.

Neil - The contact points take care of themselves.

It's about finding your pocketing angle accurately.

Read the first post carefully. Click on the blue link.

Regards, Carl

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Regards, Carl

OK, you totally missed the point I made. Carry on.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

Regards, Carl

OK, you totally missed the point I made. Carry on.

Neil - No I didn't miss your point. This thread's about finding the pocket angle first before choosing your known OB aim point.

The pictures show how both ball contact points will always collide between the OB center and where the CB center is aimed.
You pointed out raising your cue to aim at the arc formed between both balls, you would line up both contact points. Correct?

I'm saying the contact points are irrelevant, if you know your pocket angle beforehand. Aim CCB to the known OB aim points.
Your method works if the center of both arcs are clear.. I aim CTE or ETC after finding my pocket angles from front of the OB.

Both ways will work, but finding the pocketing angles from the front of the OB first, is easier for me... Play well. Regards, Carl

Last edited:

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ever heard of TOI... That guy tried selling something magical every post he made.

I know what fractional aim point to hit.. Just read post # 1.. and somethig else.. it's Free

I'm familiar with CJ's TOI. Too many weird cue ball focus aiming systems exist. That's why most players struggle to be consistent shot makers...they're always looking for some great secret or magical sysytem. Well I'm not selling magic. Just offering a great way for average players to become better, much better.

Pool lessons aren't cheap. A player either spends money or a hell of a lot of time to be a proficient shot maker. I think less money and a hell of a lot less time would benefit most.

And all of my posts aren't pushng my book. But when I read something that is simply not correct, I can't help but put it out there to show that there is another way. And it's not magical.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I'm familiar with CJ's TOI. Too many weird cue ball focus aiming systems exist. That's why most players struggle to be consistent shot makers...they're always looking for some great secret or magical sysytem. Well I'm not selling magic. Just offering a great way for average players to become better, much better.

Pool lessons aren't cheap. A player either spends money or a hell of a lot of time to be a proficient shot maker. I think less money and a hell of a lot less time would benefit most.

And all of my posts aren't pushng my book. But when I read something that is simply not correct, I can't help but put it out there to show that there is another way. And it's not magical.

I didn't imply your book was about something "magical" to pool.
CJ was posting and pushing a DVD for his TOI aiming system.
Not all your post pushed your book, but many have direct links.

You joined the forum less than 1 week ago and have posted 33
times. Ball fractions aiming has been around longer than I have
been alive..so it's not a new way to aim. Good luck selling. Carl

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't imply your book was about something "magical" to pool.
CJ was posting and pushing a DVD for his TOI aiming system.
Not all your post pushed your book, but many have direct links.

You joined the forum less than 1 week ago and have posted 33
times. Ball fractions aiming has been around longer than I have
been alive..so it's not a new way to aim. Good luck selling. Carl

You're right. I've been reading forums here for years, just never joined until last week. This is a great place to learn about everything pool-related. Most of the people that post are very knowledgeable and entertaining. So when I finished my book there was no doubt as to where I'd introduce it. I mean, this website is the hub of the pool world. I'd be a fool not to take advantage of the opportunity. But I do apologize if I came off as overbearing. I'm not a salesman. I'm a pool player. The material will sell itself.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mr kramden
Your method of learning to" see" angles is very useful
To help judge where to aim to pocket the ballt
Bc21 method of how to calculate the angle ...then where to aim
Is an objective way to pocket the balls by the numbers
It's similar to the debate in the billiards world regarding systems
Some beleive they help and some say you need play by feel
Your method has alittle more feel to it