Aim/Alignment “seeing more left” question

IS there anything out there to do or read that may help me?
My miss is a touch left
I tend to see cuts/straight in as “correct” but for some reason my miss is left side of pocket or left of pocket.

I did shift my vision center a bit right and it’s fine on straight shots. I can nail 9-10/10 consistency at any speed but for most shots left cuts just seem easier and overall my miss is left. Thoughts?

I dont feel it’s stoke related since my straight inndrill are solid. Im a failry strong player

Thanks.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My miss is a touch left
I tend to see cuts/straight in as “correct” but for some reason my miss is left side of pocket or left of pocket.

I did shift my vision center a bit right and it’s fine on straight shots. I can nail 9-10/10 consistency at any speed but for most shots left cuts just seem easier and overall my miss is left. Thoughts?

I dont feel it’s stoke related since my straight inndrill are solid. Im a failry strong player

Thanks.

Always take video of yourself, even if it is someone holding a camera phone so you can see yourself shoot.

It is not uncommon to steer the cue on cut shots. You might steer the cue without knowing it only on left cuts or right cuts, or in both directions. Of course, this steering won't be apparent on straight in shots. In any case, 30 seconds of video might show you some revealing things so I'd definitely start with that, IMO.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
My miss is a touch left

Thanks.

Hi there,

To Show up here SEVERAL things what might/could/ happen in your case would be in my opinion not really serious Buddy.

To really find out what s happening needs a professional Observation-- to really locate the Problem it self.

I would really recommend an advanced guy, who has knowledge about fundamentals, stroke etc--- and is expirienced as well.
And i would personally always work with cameras to work on such issues-

wish you the best on your journey to find out what s driving you nuts :)

bw from overseas

denzilla171

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My miss is a touch left

Thanks.

I struggled with the exact same issue for years! After much experimenting, with stroke, with vision center, with tip placement, various drills and what have you, I found one simple solution that worked better than all others...

When moving from standing upright into my stance, I place my right foot two inches further to the right than I had been. Helps a lot if you already have a very consistent and deliberate pre-shot routine, and thus easier to make precise changes to it.

The best drill I've found to measure changes is a straight in shot where you follow the object ball into the pocket with the cue ball. Just sinking the ball doesn't tell you much as the pocket is relatively huge, but the path of the cue ball after the hit tells no lies...

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
My miss is a touch left

Thanks.

Is your miss left when cutting to the right or to the left? I mean, are you over-cutting or under-cutting? Or both?

I caught a bad slump while playing golf. I started topping the ball with my short irons/wedges, striking the ball across the top instead of across its backside. Instead of getting a beautiful 130yd high-trajectory shot, the result was anything between a worm burner line drive and a little 20ft dribble. A

After doing this for several holes, racking up a few bogies, I looked over at my friend who was playing his usual game of pars and birdies. I said, "I don't know what the hell I'm doing." He said, "Swing lower." And he had a good laugh at that, because obviously I was not swinging low enough. I called him a smartass. But on my next wedge shot, I bent my knees slightly more, maybe just lowering my stance by an inch. It didn't feel right, but I hit the ball great. I sat down in the cart and my buddy said it was a "nice shot". I told him I swung lower. I never topped another ball that round.

So is this left miss of yours something new or an ongoing problem? Can you consciously tell yourself to hit it thicker, or thinner, regardless of what it looks like or how it feels?

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems logical that your problem stems from one of two things. Either your vision center is off or your cue alignment is off from your vision center. In other words, either your aim is off or you're not hitting what your aiming at. I would adjust my head a little right or left (i suspect right) to see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't do it, adjust your bridge slightly right. Since it sounds as if your problem is primarily with left cuts, seems more likely to be your vision center.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you do your straight stroke drills, do you ‘aim’ or do you line up from reference points? I.e. cue butt over center diamond etc...

I suspect if you aimed your stroke drills the same way you aim your shots it would reproduce the problem. If so you can work on your eye alignment, head position and stance until you are seeing it as straight as you are stroking it.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My miss is a touch left

Thanks.

Welcome to AZB. Hope this helps with your aiming and body alignment.

The only thing I would add to this video is, once you see the straight line from a standing position is to walk up to the butt of the cue to see where it is pointing to at on your body. This will be the starting position for your grip hand.

Oh, forget the part about putting your chin on the cue. What would help you is to use a mirror or Iphone in front of you to see exactly where the cue ends up under your face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKoMZrg1MAg

This next video is a gem, learn it and use it. You won't regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBFRln32uo

Hang in there and Happy New Year. :)

John

Last edited:

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly I think you got a practice a little bit and see what works best for you..... I'm right eye dominant and used to Place Mike you under my right eye.... but certain shots looked distorted and my shot picture was a lot different from the right to the left side..... so I did go back to the middle and I feel I'm more consistent.....fwiw I am also an intermediate player and can make that shot 9/10 with either alignment

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Welcome to AZB. Hope this helps with your aiming and body alignment.

The only thing I would add to this video is, once you see the straight line from a standing position is to walk up to the butt of the cue to see where it is pointing to at on your body. This will be the starting position for your grip hand.

Oh, forget the part about putting your chin on the cue. What would help you is to use a mirror or Iphone in front of you to see exactly where the cue ends up under your face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKoMZrg1MAg

This next video is a gem, learn it and use it. You won't regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBFRln32uo

Hang in there and Happy New Year. :)

John

Hi John,

Trying to understand your note, "The only thing I would add to this video is, once you see the straight line from a standing position is to walk up to the butt of the cue to see where it is pointing to at on your body. This will be the starting position for your grip hand."

Are you saying to put your grip hand under your vision center? For most people, walking up to a straight line cue stick will place the stick in the dead center of their body.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi John,

Trying to understand your note, "The only thing I would add to this video is, once you see the straight line from a standing position is to walk up to the butt of the cue to see where it is pointing to at on your body. This will be the starting position for your grip hand."

Are you saying to put your grip hand under your vision center? Yes

For most people, walking up to a straight line cue stick will place the stick in the dead center of their body.[/QUOTENot true,unless of course a person has no parallax error in their vision. That's why you see cues ending up under an eye or close to the bridge of their nose. This is where they see a straight line.

I'm right handed and my strongest eye is my right eye. When I take this test the butt of the cue ends up about 2" to the right of my belly button. Since I aim with my grip hand it is important that my grip starts at this point from a standing position when rotating my body to allow me to come down into the shooting position where the cue ends up between my right eye tear duct and the bridge of my nose.

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

John :)

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
"Not true,unless of course a person has no parallax error in their vision."

It is true for people who "walk up to any object". Almost 100% of persons walk toward any given target (a door, a street sign, a friend) nose first, not vision center on the face first.

I DO hear what you're saying regarding setting grip hand on the line first, a step you'd have your student take after they did the vision test to learn their vc.

Sorry for my confusion.