In Maryland, D.C., and Virginia area, where do folks go during the week to play pool?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the other side of the river...

Rich's VA partner was Doug Kelly. I understand he played college football, possibly at Penn State. Dough was a cool guy, definitely business focused, but in a fun way. Doug did have a brother by the name of Chris who worked with us for a while.

My recollection is that the westmont (by the cop shop) location was there for a long time, almost definitely preceeding silver spring. As to whether the champions entity began in VA or MD, i guess i dont know.

The shirlington location that Billy captained was opened much later. I am thinking 2001. As mentioned earlier, i was one of the first crew that worked it. Luckily, i was in the showroom side, not the pool room/ restaurant one.

I also believe there were quite a few awards on the walls from brunswick stating champions was its #1 volume retailer for multiple years

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rich's VA partner was Doug Kelly. I understand he played college football, possibly at Penn State. Dough was a cool guy, definitely business focused, but in a fun way. Doug did have a brother by the name of Chris who worked with us for a while.

My recollection is that the westmont (by the cop shop) location was there for a long time, almost definitely preceeding silver spring. As to whether the champions entity began in VA or MD, i guess i dont know.

The shirlington location that Billy captained was opened much later. I am thinking 2001. As mentioned earlier, i was one of the first crew that worked it. Luckily, i was in the showroom side, not the pool room/ restaurant one.

I also believe there were quite a few awards on the walls from brunswick stating champions was its #1 volume retailer for multiple years

That's the name I couldn't think of: Doug Kelly. (Not Chris-something).

Oh, to be young again and have my memory back! :embarrassed2:

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted by Taxi View Post
Geese was great and Geese was a character, but he was lucky that the late "Little Nicky" Vlahos went up to Boston when they were still both teenagers, because Geese couldn't have beaten Nicky in one pocket or straight pool without a decent spot. Check out the archived Accu-Stats match between Nick and Earl if you've never heard of him, and this was when Nick hadn't been playing straight pool for quite some time.

Nicky, Stu, and New decker were before my time . I have however heard plenty about each and I did know Newdecker, although WAY past his prime. Everyone mentioned were stone cold champions so would be hard to bet against any of them, but I can tell you ANYONE spotting Geese in one hole is something I would have to see.

Nicky and Geese were the same age, and I saw them both play many times at the old Roman Billiards in Silver Spring, back when Geese's moniker was "Third in the World". What I said was no knock on Geese.

But "Little Nicky" was from another planet altogether, not in 9 ball but in straight pool and one pocket. Roman's had a one pocket tournament one day with all the top local players in it: Jim Carey, Johnny Deborrel, Jerry Stevens, Charley Jenkins, and many others on that level. This was when Nicky was about 15 or 16. He not only won the tournament without losing a single game, the average score of the games was about 8 to 1, and by the end of the tournament he was playing some of his shots one handed just for grins. He moved to Boston shortly after that and pretty much stayed undercover, but by the time he passed away in his mid-40's he'd won enough money gambling to set up his mother for life. Like Frisco Jack Cooney, he remembered George C. Scott's famous remark in The Hustler about how you measure who wins in pool: You count your money when you start, and you count it again when you finish. All the rest is just so much talk.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geese was great and Geese was a character, but he was lucky that the late "Little Nicky" Vlahos went up to Boston when they were still both teenagers, because Geese couldn't have beaten Nicky in one pocket or straight pool without a decent spot. Check out the archived Accu-Stats match between Nick and Earl if you've never heard of him, and this was when Nick hadn't been playing straight pool for quite some time.

Nicky, Stu, and New decker were before my time . I have however heard plenty about each and I did know Newdecker, although WAY past his prime. Everyone mentioned were stone cold champions so would be hard to bet against any of them, but I can tell you ANYONE spotting Geese in one hole is something I would have to see.

Nicky and Geese were the same age, and I saw them both play many times at the old Roman Billiards in Silver Spring, back when Geese's moniker was "Third in the World". What I said was no knock on Geese.

But "Little Nicky" was from another planet altogether, not in 9 ball but in straight pool and one pocket. Roman's had a one pocket tournament one day with all the top local players in it: Jim Carey, Johnny Deborrel, Jerry Stevens, Charley Jenkins, and many others on that level. This was when Nicky was about 15 or 16. He not only won the tournament without losing a single game, the average score of the games was about 8 to 1, and by the end of the tournament he was playing some of his shots one handed just for grins. He moved to Boston shortly after that and pretty much stayed undercover, but by the time he passed away in his mid-40's he'd won enough money gambling to set up his mother for life. Like Frisco Jack Cooney, he remembered George C. Scott's famous remark in The Hustler about how you measure who wins in pool: You count your money when you start, and you count it again when you finish. All the rest is just so much talk.

OMG, I forgot about "Third in the World." :grin-square:

Yep, Geese always used to brag about that. It was when he came in third place at a Johnston City tournament. He loved that bragging right. :cool:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I gotcha. He was before my time and I never even saw him shoot I don't think. I know you've been around before me so I will just defer. Stuey died a few years back I believe. How the hell knows about Newdecker, I'd be very surprised if he was still above ground. He used to come in the pool room at 4 am and pawn the meter out of his cab to me. I'm like how does this make any sense Larry lol? How ate yards gonna pay me back if you can't work???? He always came back and paid when he said he would though and I really didn't want to do it but it was basically just to get him out of there lol. You brought a smile to my face, I can still hear Gene screaming 3rd IN THE WORLD!!!! LOL

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG, I forgot about "Third in the World." :grin-square:

Yep, Geese always used to brag about that. It was when he came in third place at a Johnston City tournament. He loved that bragging right. :cool:

Jam, here's a story about how I met Geese and ultimately became friends which I may or may not have told you before. I was 14, 15 maybe in Jack & jills. I'd been getting in action for awhile. One night the GEESE was in the house. I didn't know that much about him, other than that was action I neither wanted nor needed lol.

I was on table 7 beating balls about round about round he comes over. He say " hey kod, what u wanna do"? I said nothing thanks. He says I'll give you a game that u garuntee your gonna play. I say oh yeah what's that? The game was I spot him the 7 and he shoots one handed jacked up the whole time. I know this must be a move but nine the less I gotta see this lol. We play for I think $200 a set. The set was close, but I did notice he was in control the whole time and that's the only reason it was close.

So I lose , I pay. I tell his backer Baldy ( Baldwin ), look I know I can't win but I'll play one more , but turn your guy lose and I wanna see a show for my $200 bucks. Geese and Baldy looked at each other and Baldy said hey why not, I like this kid. Well I had never seen anyone string racks jacked up before. ( nor since ) . It was an unbelievable display I must say. Score was like 7-1. ( not me lol ) when alll was said and done the Mighty Geese said, hey kid, I like your style. We became friends after that and never gambled against each other again.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

You're close on Champion Shirlington, but not quite. It opened the very ending of 1989, very close to 1990. Yep, run by Doug Kelly, and a guy named Cliff. Cliff, along with Tucker Shepherd, were usually the house men in Bill Staton's Jack and Jill's at it's end in the late 70s, closing in 80.

The opening of Champion Shirlington is memorable to me because I had just switched jobs in the Pentagon, and suddenly had a close place to play. First pool room I had ever seen in my life where waitresses would come to your table and ask you what you wanted to eat or drink, and had sinks in the actual pool room to wash your hands. May have been a first in the history of pool mankind, I don't know.

Regarding Champions in Westmont, next to the cop shop, my earliest recollection of it was about 1980, but that could be plus or minus a year or so. But it was called Champions; don't know how it compares time wise to Silver Spring. Incidentally, Westmont, for the trivia buffs, is the location of the very first Five Guys burger place. Long since gone, but the first.

And, in Shirlington, the Weenie Beenie food stand is still there. I like the pork barbecue, and steak and cheese subs the best.

All the best,
WW

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I have been meaning to check out Hi - Cue in Virginia. Paul Oh and some others have mentioned it . Looks nice and may have a little action. Not sure about the bar scene there?

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're close on Champion Shirlington, but not quite. It opened the very ending of 1989, very close to 1990. Yep, run by Doug Kelly, and a guy named Cliff. Cliff, along with Tucker Shepherd, were usually the house men in Bill Staton's Jack and Jill's at it's end in the late 70s, closing in 80.

The opening of Champion Shirlington is memorable to me because I had just switched jobs in the Pentagon, and suddenly had a close place to play. First pool room I had ever seen in my life where waitresses would come to your table and ask you what you wanted to eat or drink, and had sinks in the actual pool room to wash your hands. May have been a first in the history of pool mankind, I don't know.

Regarding Champions in Westmont, next to the cop shop, my earliest recollection of it was about 1980, but that could be plus or minus a year or so. But it was called Champions; don't know how it compares time wise to Silver Spring. Incidentally, Westmont, for the trivia buffs, is the location of the very first Five Guys burger place. Long since gone, but the first.

And, in Shirlington, the Weenie Beenie food stand is still there. I like the pork barbecue, and steak and cheese subs the best.

All the best,
WW

Are you talking about Cliff Maclin and his wife Sandy - owners of guy and dolls in Bladensburg as well as J& J in Glen Burnie ? As far as your story - sounds about right lolol!

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's one of my favorite Geese stories, because it captures him so perfectly. It was on a Saturday evening at Randolph Hills in Rockville, sometime in the 70's.

Three hustlers from New Jersey come in looking for one pocket action. As was frequently the case, Geese had all of one barrel on him, but says he'll try a game for $20. Sure, rackem up, says the Jersey guy.

Yada yada yada Geese rips off about 6 or 7 straight, 8 to 2, 8 to 0, 8 to 3 and so on. The poor Jersey guy didn't have a prayer, until Geese pulls off a delayed stall and lets him win one by 8 to 7.

But when the Jersey guy starts to rack for the next game, Geese unscrews his stick, and at about 8:00 on a SATURDAY NIGHT, he says, "I GOTTA PULL UP----I GOT A DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENT".

Now how in the hell can you not love a guy like that, unless maybe you've driven down from New Jersey?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The Champions in Frederick, MD that exists today is run by Richard's son Gary Allen. Here's a photo of him at the 1986 Maryland State Championship that I was the TD of. From left to right, Gary Allen's mother holding Gary, Rose, me, Chris (Mike Sigel's girlfriend), and Cigar Tom's wife with the neck brace. :grin-square:

Jen, what a great picture. I get to Frederick once or twice a week to play, and I'm going to show Gary Allen this thread, with his dad, and Gary as a baby. He'll be embarrassed. There's a lot of other history here too. Chris Sigel was Mike's first wife, and the woman with the neck brace was also Cigar Tom's first wife. Both had second wives, not sure beyond that. I still remember Chris Sigel at the US Opens in Norfolk, traveling with Mike, as he battled Earl, Buddy, and the rest.

Good picture of you too, you've got to be very young in this photo... :thumbup:

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Are you talking about Cliff Maclin and his wife Sandy - owners of guy and dolls in Bladensburg as well as J& J in Glen Burnie ? As far as your story - sounds about right lolol!

You know something, I never actually knew Cliff's last name. Fairly tall guy, full head of gray hair, and shall we say, pretty heavy drinker. He either liked you, or he didn't. Fortunately, Cliff liked me, during those good Shirlington days. I didn't know that he owned the Bladensburg spot, so we could be talking about a different Cliff. I don't think he owned J&J in Glen Burnie, but not sure if it's the same Cliff.

All the best,
WW

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jen, what a great picture. I get to Frederick once or twice a week to play, and I'm going to show Gary Allen this thread, with his dad, and Gary as a baby. He'll be embarrassed. There's a lot of other history here too. Chris Sigel was Mike's first wife, and the woman with the neck brace was also Cigar Tom's first wife. Both had second wives, not sure beyond that. I still remember Chris Sigel at the US Opens in Norfolk, traveling with Mike, as he battled Earl, Buddy, and the rest.

All the best,
WW

Do you remember that C__T Lisa????

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know something, I never actually knew Cliff's last name. Fairly tall guy, full head of gray hair, and shall we say, pretty heavy drinker. He either liked you, or he didn't. Fortunately, Cliff liked me, during those good Shirlington days. I didn't know that he owned the Bladensburg spot, so we could be talking about a different Cliff. I don't think he owned J&J in Glen Burnie, but not sure if it's the same Cliff.

All the best,
WW

Well it doesn't matter now as he is dead. The Cliff I'm talking about owned those places as well as a billiards warehouse. The story goes, and BTW is well known, he F'd the Philly mob out of a lot of money somehow and a contract was put forth. After that he NEVER left his house. Not the whole time I knew him, but one time and one time only- just shortly before closing down J&J IN Glen Burnie and he died a short time later. I knew him from only speaking with him on the phone , as I said he never left the house. I could say what I know about him and what I thought about him but I will not.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All the best,
WW

Sadly enough, me and Wedge ( rip ) had a standing date for us to get together as I pass right by there on my way to Pitt. He passed suddenly and this never came to fruition. Talked to him many times and he was a really good guy , will be missed by many I'm sure.

Byw, I don't believe Jenny looks much different now from when that pic was taken 30 years ago!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Sadly enough, me and Wedge ( rip ) had a standing date for us to get together as I pass right by there on my way to Pitt. He passed suddenly and this never came to fruition. Talked to him many times and he was a really good guy , will be missed by many I'm sure.

Byw, I don't believe Jenny looks much different now from when that pic was taken 30 years ago!

Small world. Wedge (Frank W) and I played religiously on Tuesday and Thursday in Frederick. I miss him.

And I agree, Jenny still looks the same as in the picture.

All the best,
WW

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't know a Lisa. Must be a story there...

Ues, there is quite the story. Out of respect for my friend Cigar Tom I will not post, but feel free to pm me.

Small world. Wedge (Frank W) and I played religiously on Tuesday and Thursday in Frederick. I miss him.

And I agree, Jenny still looks the same as in the picture.

All the best,
WW

I'm sure you knew Frank better than myself , but from what I knew he was a great guy and I'm certain those that knew him miss him greatly . Frederick was just some hick town on my way from Bmore to Pitt, but he treated everyone like family if they decided to stop by.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some of the players from Randolph Hills, circa 1974. Since I've never posted pictures before, I hope they make it through.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100708230@N02/albums/72157688407021596

Top row: Taxi, Sue Stevens, "Six Pack of Gonorrhea" Stairs, Scrimma 1, Scrimma 2
2nd row: Schwartz, Roach, Roach and Scrimma, Parker/Little Peety/Tom-Tom (from the 90's), Mickey (Peaches) McGuire
3rd row: Mickey and Maalox, Mickey and Jenny Gale (from the 90's), Margaret 1, Margaret 2, Lackey
4th row: Johnnie Priest (old ex-Yankees ballplayer), Jenny Gale 1, Jenny Gale 2, Goober 1, Goober 2
5th row: Geese, Doug Sanders, Captain Slick, Bobby Gumphrey, Tom-Tom
6th row: Jersey John / Jenny Gale / Steve Gumphrey, Big Ed, Big Ed / Steve Gumphrey w/ 2 others in the middle, John Zarou on the right, Little Petey (2010)

Last edited: