Allison Fisher vs Efren Reyes

pro-player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to start a battle of the sexes here. The other day I was at a poolroom, and overheard some railbirds talking. One said that Efren offered to give Allison the 6-out for any amount of money, and she wouldn't take it. A female player was present, and said Efren would have no chance to win giving Allison the 6-out. This started a heated arguement, guys vs girls, saying that Efren could drill Allison with that kind of weight. Then it all came down to the men saying how much better the male pros play than the females, and the females saying the top ladies can hang with the big boys anytime. Any opinions on this?

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ouch! This one was started before and it became exactly what you said happened in the pool room. I'm not biting :)

S

Sputnik

Let me give you an idea. Rubilen Amit, the best Filipina in the game, beat Warren Kiamco in a 9-ball exhibition match. In the final match, she lost to Dennis Orcullo in a decision game. In the Qualifiers for the IBC Japan Open, she eliminated Lee Van Corteza, a WPC round of 32 cut.

Allison may be able to beat Efren on his very bad day.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Sputnik said:
Let me give you an idea. Rubilen Amit, the best Filipina in the game, beat Warren Kiamco in a 9-ball exhibition match. In the final match, she lost to Dennis Orcullo in a decision game. In the Qualifiers for the IBC Japan Open, she eliminated Lee Van Corteza, a WPC round of 32 cut.

Allison may be able to beat Efren on his very bad day.

what would allison be,,,A,,,A+? efren would her whatever he gives that kind of player.

actually, i think allison would have a tough time vs. an A+.

there's only two who can hang with the big boys,,,on a good day.

Last edited:

jjinfla

Banned
I am sure that Allison has more to lose than what she can possibly win gambling with Efren.

I am sure that her many sponsorship contracts all prohibit her from gambling. Why should she risk losing that?

Jake

matthew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Jake is right. Allison has a number of different sponsers. I'm sure they don't appreciate her gambling. Besides what does she have to gain from beating Efren? I don't think she needs the money. I think that even if she won it would still be a losing situation.

Also what would Efren have to gain from beating her? I don't think he needs the money either. What would that do for his reputation?

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
matthew said:
I think Jake is right. Allison has a number of different sponsers. I'm sure they don't appreciate her gambling. Besides what does she have to gain from beating Efren? I don't think she needs the money. I think that even if she won it would still be a losing situation.

Also what would Efren have to gain from beating her? I don't think he needs the money either. What would that do for his reputation?

neither has anything to gain, and i think she could care less about playing the men, but the question was hypothetical.

everyone has seen what korr and allison can do. but they remain alone at the top because of what the rest of the women CAN'T do, which is hit them back with a shot.

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since we're talking hypothetically I'd pick
Allison with that kind of spot if she didn't get
noivous. I watched Jean Balucas in her prime
fall apart against an OLD Minnesota Fats.

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
Allison was offered that and she turned it down.
I was told this after Efren and his backer came back from a trip.
Supposedly Allison lost some big cash getting the 7-ball from a very good road player. She was offerd a huge spot to play Efren and she turned it down.
I don't blame her. Efren beat Jimmy Wetch with Jimmy getting the 7-ball.
I don't think she can beat Dennis Orcullo who is not even a top 30 player in the world.

Ruthless

~= Gator Nation =~
Silver Member
I was playing on the mens tour back in the 80's when another Female player Jean Balukas thought she could hang with the men. I think she may have finished in the top 48 of all the tournaments she played twice (about ten before she quit that nonsense). I see the FL women tour players a lot where I play and wouldn't rate any above a high B player on mens standards. Gremlin's fav S. Ellerby was there last Friday again I believe.

Fisher wouldn't leave the gold mine she has now to end up the way Balukas did playing men. I've seen her play and she plays very well, but the mens side is a different world to visit.

I'm not trying to start anything, but get real.

T

texasexpress

I guess none of you ever heard the truth about Cliff Joyner giving Allison the 6 and the breaks in N.C. just a scant few years ago .. cost her and her stakehorse multi-thousands.
There is a significant difference between a tournament match that can be won by anyone who gets on a roll .. and gambling where the opponent gets weak when ( she ) was forced to watch numerous packs of racks and a monster break ... and then when she did get a few shots she developed lock-elbow.
In all my years of observation .. ( 40+ ) I would have to say that either Jean Balukas and/or Lori Shampoo would have had the best chance at winning at gambling against a top male player ... however, I doubt either could or would have won. The current female stars play very well .. against each other .. but I can assure you that none of them want any part of Efren, Busta and the like when it comes to gambling !!!
John McChesney
Texas Express

T

texasexpress

I guess none of you ever heard the truth about Cliff Joyner giving Allison the 6 and the breaks in N.C. just a scant few years ago .. cost her and her stakehorse multi-thousands.
There is a significant difference between a tournament match that can be won by anyone who gets on a roll .. and gambling where the opponent gets weak when ( she ) was forced to watch numerous packs of racks and a monster break ... and then when she did get a few shots she developed lock-elbow.
In all my years of observation .. ( 40+ ) I would have to say that either Jean Balukas and/or Lori Shampoo would have had the best chance at winning at gambling against a top male player ... however, I doubt either could or would have won. The current female stars play very well .. against each other .. but I can assure you that none of them want any part of Efren, Busta and the like when it comes to gambling !!!
John McChesney
Texas Express

T

texasexpress

John McChesney
Texas Express

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
Tex, you're absolutely.
Playing for a ton of money is a lot different than playing in the tournament. Efren and Busta get beat in tournaments often. But, I don't see the other players lining up to play them after the tourney.

D

dr. Jun Villon

its 9 ball. anyone who can racks from the break in pressure situations can beat anybody. If you are really interested to learn how Allison would fair with "The Master", let them play 15ball rotation. Would that be interesting!

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
dr. Jun Villon said:
its 9 ball. anyone who can racks from the break in pressure situations can beat anybody. If you are really interested to learn how Allison would fair with "The Master", let them play 15ball rotation. Would that be interesting!
Earl wouldn't play Efren rotation if he gave 71-49.
Let's put it this way, you put 15 balls on the table.
Any game. Let's see who'll line up to play Efren.
Now, if they only had a million-dollar one-pocket tournament:D

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started a thread like this a while back and it got pretty wild. I think Allison and Karen play very good pool. I also think that some day, other women will come along that will play even better. Eventually, as more women play, they are going to make that gap between men and women smaller. When you go into a pool room today, you don't see many women playing compared to men. This results in the men being able to draw from a bigger pool. If more women played, they could close that gap even further. I would love to see men and women playing on a more even scale because I think that could propel this game into a higher plain in the public's conscience. I can just imagine big TV matches between Efren and Allison or Karen. I think they could develop a real fan base over such matches. Men and women would watch with interest. Even if the men dominated, sooner or later a woman would win a 9 ball match in a race to 7 and that's when the excitement would begin.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the heck, no one is getting rich on this game now are they? It's appalling how little a pro pool player makes. I couldn't live on that little money and pay expenses too. It's a shame and something needs to happen to change it. Maybe televising male/female matches is just the thing to bring about this much-needed change.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weapon X said:
What if they played snooker?? Would Allison win?

I would have to say probably but from what I hear Efren is no slouch on a snooker table either.

Maybe someone could verify this but from what I hear there is someone that Efren won't play for money and that's Jose Parica. Could be wrong but I heard some players saying it at a Joss tournament a while back. I guess Amang is a killer money player.

Koop