Tip Centering Tool Modification

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking about buying a Tipalizer centering tool and modifying it so that I can chuck it up in my tailstock. Has anyone done this? If so, what would I have to do? What do you think about the idea?

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I'm thinking about buying a Tipalizer centering tool and modifying it so that I can chuck it up in my tailstock. Has anyone done this? If so, what would I have to do? What do you think about the idea?

I think if you have the ability to modify a Tipalizer you can make your own and have 8 inches of Delrin, plus some change left over......

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
I'll try to post up a video tomorrow showing a tip center-er that I made out of some Delrin
If your lathe is relatively true it works way better than the tipalizer
I made one for 14mm and one for 13 mm pre domed tips.
Works awesome!

steveinflorida

Silver Member
I'll try to post up a video tomorrow showing a tip center-er that I made out of some Delrin
If your lathe is relatively true it works way better than the tipalizer
I made one for 14mm and one for 13 mm pre domed tips.
Works awesome!

I am looking forward to seeing it.

mm4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi,

i am probably doing this wrong, but i use the concave live center that came with my lathe. it seems to work just fine for me.

Mike

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
http://youtu.be/Ge2bDyniwYA

I dont know when this link will be good,

This video really sucks, but I dont have another cue to tip right now :)

I show my tip centering apparatus and the tip shaper from unique products that I use to shape tips.

I think once you see how simple the tip holder is, it will be a very popular tool.

It works like a charm,
if you noticed the other video that was referenced about the le pro install...the tip once it was spinning after being glued up, was way off of center, that just doesnt happen with one of this style.

Any way, I hope someone likes this ugly vid :D

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Darcy,

Simple yet effective!!!

Thanks for sharing.

:thumbup:

Gary

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing that with us Darcy. Very innovative and I'll be scrounging around for some material to use.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I think if you have the ability to modify a Tipalizer you can make your own and have 8 inches of Delrin, plus some change left over......

Oh YAH, the guy who goes to the trouble of posting a VIDEO for the benefit of everyone gets ALL the credit!!!:angry:

:thumbup:

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
Ha ha,
I'm certainly not a videographer!
I'm glad someone got something from it :D

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Great tool Darcy.
I'll do them in different colors.
Black, ivory and white.
12, 13 and 14 MM.:thumbup:

dunkelcustomcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using this for a couple of years. Works really well. Cutting the reliefs in the side make it good for most tips.

2C2CB473.jpg

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I've been using this for a couple of years. Works really well. Cutting the reliefs in the side make it good for most tips.
I tried to make something similar but from a long tubing. Do you put anything inside so that the tip does not move when pushed against the ferrule? I believe pressure needs to be applied. And can't do that with mine since it is a tube.
(I usually need a centering tool when a customer brings a tip that popped off, and he wants to keep it. Otherwise I don't really care if the tip of a larger diameter is centered or not, I trim it anyway.)