Mike Sigel

stolz2

Kid Mack
Silver Member
Some one dug out my old post on top gear, so I was reading it and started thinking about Mike Sigel and a few other of the all time greats. I just read Buddy Halls book rags to riflemen. And really admire him alot wish I could have seem him in his prime but I wasn't even concieved yet.

Does anyone have any good road or pool stories regarding Mike Sigel? In buddy's book it stated there was a time when the Mike and Buddy just went back for forth for years as number 1 and number 2. Did Mike Gamble alot? And how was he for the $$$$ ?

Any of the old crowd on this forum know Sigel, OHB?

Mack

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was one of the most feared players on the tournament trail, and for the cash, I could tell a few tales, but will wait to see what others have to contribute! :D

I am impressed that you know how to actually spell Mike Sigel's name correctly. I have seen a variety of other spellings! :p

Picture of Mike Sigel and Keith McCready at 2002 (I think) U.S. Open! :)

JAM

Attachments

• Sigel and Keith at Open.JPG
    Sigel and Keith at Open.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,849

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
I saw Mike Sigel lose the cash to Ron Gisel in Germany back in '91 or '92. He is still a great player though. I think drugs and ego did him in though.

Jim

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
stolz2 said:
Some one dug out my old post on top gear, so I was reading it and started thinking about Mike Sigel and a few other of the all time greats. I just read Buddy Halls book rags to riflemen. And really admire him alot wish I could have seem him in his prime but I wasn't even concieved yet.

Does anyone have any good road or pool stories regarding Mike Sigel? In buddy's book it stated there was a time when the Mike and Buddy just went back for forth for years as number 1 and number 2. Did Mike Gamble alot? And how was he for the $$$$ ?

Mack

My good friend Irving Crane introduced me to Mike as a strong up-and-comer in 1978 at the World 14.1 Championships at the Biltomore Hotel in NYC. I think it would be fair to say the Irving undersold his protege. Just two years later, Mike won his first World 14.1 Championship, beating Balsis in the final. I remember watching one of Mike's matches in the 1980 event with Irving sitting next to me, and although Irving generally approved of Mike's game, he felt Mike could do better in some of his safety play (of course, did anyone play defense well by Crane's standards? I never heard him praise the defensive play of anyone but himself and Allen Hopkins).

Proud mentors often make the comical remark "I taught him everthing he knows, but not everything I know", but the way Irving put it when it came to Sigel was that "I taught him everything I know, he just doesn't use all of it." That always cracked me up.

Another memorable event involving Sigel was an exhibition he did in the early 1990's with a twenty three year old Johnny Archer to benefit the National Leukemia Society. Archer wiped the floor with Mike in a short race that night, and the look on Sigel's face as he watched Archer play something approaching perfect nineball was priceless. Mike wasn't used to being pushed around by a kid like that, and even though it was just an exhibition with no money riding it, Mike looked a bit disheartened. Among the attendees were Loree Jon and Sammy Jones, Nick Varner, and the late Jerry Orbach.

Finally, there was Sigel's 150 and out against Zuglan in the 1992 US Open 14.1 championships. I had a great seat for that one at the Roosevelt Hoel in NYC, but not as good as either Mosconi or Caras, both of whom sat in the front row. Willie died just a few months later, but not before calling Sigel's run among the most technically perfect he'd ever seen.

Mike was, simply, one of the very best ever.

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was Sigel short-tempered?

I saw an accustats match of Mike Sigel playing Nick Varner in a big 9-ball tournament, I forget which one to be exact, but it was the finals and it was double hill. Nick had an easy shot on the 9 in the side pocket, and I mean EASY, but somehow he missed it. The cueball and 9-ball ended up frozen to each other in the middle of the table, there was no shot available that I could see. Mike walked up to the table and slammed the balls as hard as he could and they both flew off the table. Everyone was shocked, and the commentators were a little peeved, saying that Mike displayed some poor sportsmanship, and that he could have at least tried to play safe, but instead he got angry and gave the game away on purpose. I still don't understand why Mike did that. Does anyone else know? It seemed to me Mike was worse than Earl, because in that situation I guarantee Earl wouldn't have given up the game like that, he would have went for a shot.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LastTwo said:
I saw an accustats match of Mike Sigel playing Nick Varner in a big 9-ball tournament, I forget which one to be exact, but it was the finals and it was double hill. Nick had an easy shot on the 9 in the side pocket, and I mean EASY, but somehow he missed it. The cueball and 9-ball ended up frozen to each other in the middle of the table, there was no shot available that I could see. Mike walked up to the table and slammed the balls as hard as he could and they both flew off the table. Everyone was shocked, and the commentators were a little peeved, saying that Mike displayed some poor sportsmanship, and that he could have at least tried to play safe, but instead he got angry and gave the game away on purpose. I still don't understand why Mike did that. Does anyone else know? It seemed to me Mike was worse than Earl, because in that situation I guarantee Earl wouldn't have given up the game like that, he would have went for a shot.

I think he was trying to do something and the balls just jumped, it wasn't intentional I don't think. Mike was ahead in that match by the way 9 to 1 at one point if I remember right. Mike is nothing like Earl, I don't think he has ever walked out on a match in his life and when he is behind he just plays harder, he doesn't quit. I saw him play Earl in a gambling match, (Earl if you are reading this you may remember). They played 7 ahead for $3000. and Earl won the first six in a row. He didn't get out and after about an hour or so Mike got back to even and Earl asked if they could quit because he had to play an early match the next day. Mike let him off the hook and Earl looked pretty happy. Remember that Earl, it was in Tampa at one of Bill Stigall's tournaments.

Last edited:

stolz2

Kid Mack
Silver Member
JAM said:
He was one of the most feared players on the tournament trail, and for the cash, I could tell a few tales, but will wait to see what others have to contribute! :D

I am impressed that you know how to actually spell Mike Sigel's name correctly. I have seen a variety of other spellings! :p

JAM

I have a DVD of Keith vs. Mike. Its hill hill and keith missed a easy shot on the eight ball, and Sigel gets out to win. The match is great both keith and Mike play almost perfect. I like how when Keith is fired up he racks balls at 100 mph, or at least did in this match.

Mack

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
macguy said:
I think he was trying to do something and the balls just jumped, it wasn't intentional I don't think. Mike was ahead in that match by the way 9 to 1 at one point if I remember right. Mike is nothing like Earl, I don't think he has ever walked out on a match in his life and when he is behind he just plays harder, he doesn't quit. I saw him play Earl in a gambling match, (Earl if you are reading this you may remember). They played 7 ahead for $3000. and Earl won the first six in a row. He didn't get out and after about an hour or so Mike got back to even and Earl asked if they could quit because he had to play an early match the next day. Mike let him off the hook and Earl looked pretty happy. Remember that Earl, it was in Tampa at one of Bill Stigall's tournaments.

Are you sure you saw that match? The cueball and 9-ball ended up very close to each other and mike lined up straight at the 9 ball and hit almost like he was breaking the balls. I know if the balls are frozen you can shoot straight at it, but I don't think they were frozen, and Mike didn't even check. He just walked up to the shot without examining it and slammed it, sending both balls off the table.

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw that match and I think the Sigel/Varner match was at the US Open nineball championships in 1989? Anyway I think Sigel's record shows he was one of the all time greats. I don't think he had a bad temper he just always seemed nervous and negative, talking to anyone who would listen, then would run out from everywhere!

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I have that tape somewhere. Mike gets disgusted about his leave and shoots hard into the balls, probably trying to get lucky. He lost a huge lead in the match and was obviously steaming a little bit. He didn't jump the balls on purpose but he definately didn't shoot at it like a hall of famer.

Sigel vs Wiley at the Bicycle Club (in 92 I think) was a good match where he does something similair. The whole match comes down to a length of table kick shot. He spends a few minutes looking at the shot but actually shoots the shot just a second after he addresses the cue ball. Kick combos the nine for the match. Interesting story on that tape: Buddy Hall mentions a tournement where Sigel had ball in hand 28 times and ran out 28 times... give him ball and hand and he runs out every time.

For those of you who have seen the Sigel vs Schmidt 14.1 tape where Mikes' cue breaks after he scratches on a break shot, do you think it was accidental or was he just pissed?

I think he was pissed :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
bud green said:
For those of you who have seen the Sigel vs Schmidt 14.1 tape where Mikes' cue breaks after he scratches on a break shot, do you think it was accidental or was he just pissed?

I saw that match live at the Roseland in NYC at the 2000 US Open 14.1 event, and it was no accident. Sigel was pissed, and his behavior was embarrassingly unprofessional. For me, it really took the shine off of Sigel's unexpected return to competition. I recall being very pleased that Schmidt won it, for Sigel had, through his behavior, sharked the hell out of John --- on John's birthday, no less!

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
JG-in-KY said:
I saw that match and I think the Sigel/Varner match was at the US Open nineball championships in 1989? Anyway I think Sigel's record shows he was one of the all time greats. I don't think he had a bad temper he just always seemed nervous and negative, talking to anyone who would listen, then would run out from everywhere!

It was at the Lake Wright in 1989. Wasnt you and me sitting together when we seen Sigel totally meltdown? Without question, the winningest 9-Ball player tournament wise to date. But he would chirp to the first person that made eye contact with him, flipping his hands around like his world was gonna end.

Voodoo<~~~knows JG-in-KY since Moby Dick wassa minnow!!!

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Sigel was awsome & Mother Hubbard was very smart.

stolz2 said:

Mack

Mike & Larry were one of the most successful & feared "Road Teams" that ever were. Mike was at the top of his game (He had learned a lot from Larry) & they "Hit The Road". Larry was already a very experienced Hustler and knew how to get the ca$h and Mike didn't have to back down from anyone. Many, many stories exist but the main ingredient was how they operated. Larry acted as "The Backer" as Mike just Barbequed everyone in sight. By Now, Larry knew where the Money was left and offered to play HIMSELF - IF - The game was right. It was comical to watch because to this day, (IMO) - Larry was always the best & definitely the smartest of the two.
I'll never forget the Baltimore, World Nine Ball Championship way, way back when. It came down to Mike & Larry in the finals. I talked to Larry just before the match and asked him his opinion on which way I should bet. He said, Tom, all I can tell you is that Mike & I have played (in tourneys) 13 times & I'm 11 & 2. That was good enough for my bankroll & me.

TY & GL

shinyballs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel was standing at the bar at the BCA in Vegas and complaining about not getting a drink and acting like he should be treated like royalty or something. The guy is a total jackass. I for one am glad he's not playing anymore.

Just an opinion.

vader93490

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:

JAM

Surely Keith has told you that they used to call Mike "Mr. Finals" back when he was playing? :) Or perhaps you knew or remembered that already.

Regardless, there is no doubt he made his mark in the pool world. I believe he's won over 100-something titles, and accomplished some great historical feats when he was actively playing. He was one of the toughest players to beat on the MPBA tour, no question about it.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy said

On one accu-stats video, Buddy Hall was asked who was the one toughest opponent he ever played, and he said "Mike Sigel." That coming from one of the best 9-ball players ever, carries a lot of weight with me.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
bud green said:
I have that tape somewhere. Mike gets disgusted about his leave and shoots hard into the balls, probably trying to get lucky. He lost a huge lead in the match and was obviously steaming a little bit. He didn't jump the balls on purpose but he definately didn't shoot at it like a hall of famer.

Sigel vs Wiley at the Bicycle Club (in 92 I think) was a good match where he does something similair. The whole match comes down to a length of table kick shot. He spends a few minutes looking at the shot but actually shoots the shot just a second after he addresses the cue ball. Kick combos the nine for the match. Interesting story on that tape: Buddy Hall mentions a tournement where Sigel had ball in hand 28 times and ran out 28 times... give him ball and hand and he runs out every time.

He was extremely frustrated and pissed off after getting so many opportunities at the table and not being able to put Schmidt away. Sigel had been practicing great coming into that 'comeback' tourny, and he just didn't get his feel back for that whole match. Schmidt would shoot and miss a shot and leave the balls wide open and Sigel couldn't put together a high run. The shot he scratched on was just really bad luck--he played a really nice combination and made it, and he followed the cue ball through the cluster and it just hit some balls perfect to roll straight into the side pocket. No one could have seen that coming. Mike clearly broke his shaft on purpose, and I thought it was funny when Incardona said that he just 'leaned on it the wrong way' or something like that.

In his next match against Varner Sigel played perfect, and got out in two offensive innings at the table.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
wahcheck said:
On one accu-stats video, Buddy Hall was asked who was the one toughest opponent he ever played, and he said "Mike Sigel." That coming from one of the best 9-ball players ever, carries a lot of weight with me.

Efren said the same thing--that Sigel was the toughest player he ever faced.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
Mike & Larry were one of the most successful & feared "Road Teams" that ever were. Mike was at the top of his game (He had learned a lot from Larry) & they "Hit The Road". Larry was already a very experienced Hustler and knew how to get the ca$h and Mike didn't have to back down from anyone. Many, many stories exist but the main ingredient was how they operated. Larry acted as "The Backer" as Mike just Barbequed everyone in sight. By Now, Larry knew where the Money was left and offered to play HIMSELF - IF - The game was right. It was comical to watch because to this day, (IMO) - Larry was always the best & definitely the smartest of the two.
I'll never forget the Baltimore, World Nine Ball Championship way, way back when. It came down to Mike & Larry in the finals. I talked to Larry just before the match and asked him his opinion on which way I should bet. He said, Tom, all I can tell you is that Mike & I have played (in tourneys) 13 times & I'm 11 & 2. That was good enough for my bankroll & me.

TY & GL

I was at a tournament in Dayton Ohio at Joe Burns room in the early 70's and Sigel lost some money to I think Ronnie Allen. Hubbard was back at the hotel room and when he came into the tournament room and saw Sigel playing he got furious and started yelling at Mike like he was a little kid. I just remember Mike going up in the bleachers and sitting by himself and sulking like a scolded child afterwards. Their relationship struck me kind of funny, it was odd watching them sometimes. I don't think Sigel ever made a move at that time without the OK from Hubbard.

B

Bruce S. de Lis

I have never seen mike in Person, we have one of his Pool Instructional Tapes in our Community Library. The Tape is Excellent.

If I ever saw Mike on the street, in a Bar, or Pool Room. I would say thank you to him for making the Tape, as I got a few good pointer from it.

NUFF SAID....