Diamond System????

FinnBoggCr

Billiards Auction House
I would like someone to point me in the direction of some "Diamond System" tutorials. Preferably one or some that do a very good job at explaining how it works. Id prefer something online or a good youtube video or something.

Start you opinion making and link sharing. hahaha.

24 views and not 1 response.... did i place this question in the wrong area? or is this just one scary question to answer?

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would like someone to point me in the direction of some "Diamond System" tutorials. Preferably one or some that do a very good job at explaining how it works. Id prefer something online or a good youtube video or something. ...
I think the best written introduction to diamond systems is in Bob Byrne's "New Standard Book." He explains some additional systems in his other two instructional books. Brief explanations of some systems are available in these columns along with some other stuff. The combined file for 2010 has a five-part series on diamond system.

Dr. Dave has done several videos that introduce diamond systems. Here is a video of the "Plus 2" system. And here is the "Corner-5" system.

tiger37373

3 Cushion Enthusiast
Silver Member
Finn,
Just a reminder. Most professional players rarely use any systems. It would be better to put your efforts in to learning the game to it's finest points before attempting to burden yourself learning all kinds of systems. It's not only the systems themselves that will have to be learned, but also the extensive practice to actually make those shots with continued accuracy. There are so many factors involved, ball spin, the table conditions, etc. Don't you have enough to worry about?

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Finn,
Just a reminder. Most professional players rarely use any systems. It would be better to put your efforts in to learning the game to it's finest points before attempting to burden yourself learning all kinds of systems. It's not only the systems themselves that will have to be learned, but also the extensive practice to actually make those shots with continued accuracy. There are so many factors involved, ball spin, the table conditions, etc. Don't you have enough to worry about?

GREAT answer Jamie!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://mr3cushion.com

Jerseychris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

GREAT answer Jamie!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Not so great answer. Blomdahl, Patino and Torres all use systems (see how they placed in last weekend's tournement). Miguel Torres on virtually every shot. Also Semih Sayginer and Pedro Piedrabuena use systems. How do I know this? I asked them. As a matter of fact both Pedro and Miguel have taught me many of the systems they use. They will teach you too. All you have to do is ask them......They're both super nice guys and very patient, good teachers.

Oh, I forgot: Danny Sanchez taught Miguel some of the systems he uses.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Not so great answer. Blomdahl, Patino and Torres all use systems (see how they placed in last weekend's tournement). Miguel Torres on virtually every shot. Also Semih Sayginer and Pedro Piedrabuena use systems. How do I know this? I asked them. As a matter of fact both Pedro and Miguel have taught me many of the systems they use. They will teach you too. All you have to do is ask them......They're both super nice guys and very patient, good teachers.

Oh, I forgot: Danny Sanchez taught Miguel some of the systems he uses.

Chris; maybe you misunderstood Finn's question, He wanted to know about the "Diamond System", most likely the so called "5 Corner System".

As for myself I use many systems I've devised over the years, not all have to do with hitting a SPECIFIC point on the 1st or 3rd cushion. They deal with systems for playing position, and ball aiming system with certain speeds. IMHO, I believe a player needs to learn the action of the cue ball and 1st object ball in order to develope the correct concept for "Modern" day billiards!

Raymond Ceulemans and Frederic Caudron are quintesential ball control players of the "Modern" game of 3 Cushion. Once again, IMHO!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. Chris, if you like I invite you to visit my website for some examples of ball control and concepts.

Jerseychris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My response was to: "most professional players rarely use systems.".............."Great answer". It's not a great answer. It's not even true.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris; Most professional players I know use the diamonds as a reference, not a method of play.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
Correct and without knowledge of the many systems there is nothing to reference.
The systems give you a good starting point (reference) from which to adjust according to how a particular table plays. Long? Short? and How much.

FinnBoggCr

Billiards Auction House
Wow. Thanks for all the info that you have provided. Though I am not a pro at the sport. I have been a hardcore player and enthusiast to the sport for over 25 yrs. Though I had seen them from time to time. I did not come across many 3 cushion tables while growing up. The first time I had ever heard of the "Diamond System" was while playing a game of snooker with a family member. I had left him a very hard shot. I felt proud. And he looked and measured and angled his cue here and there,this way and that. He executed his shot. Five rails later my defensive attempt had failed. Of course I asked what was with all the measuring and angles for. And that is when I first heard of the "Diamond System". Of course my reaction was " Show me!! ". His reply was, " oh no.. Im having a hard enough time understanding it, much less teaching it." So I walked away from the idea of even looking into it. Up until just recently. I moved to michigan and have had many opportunities to play on some 3 cushion tables. I have taken some time to watch a few matches of 3 cushion from youtube and dvds. I can tell already that these systems play a role in making these awesome executed shots in 3 cushion. This is why i have come to the great site of AZ Billiards to find my answers. I had a feeling this question might cause a opinion frenzy. That was not my intention. I simply wanted to start playing with this (these) systems. So that I might become even more interested in the 3 cushion game. Lets not go there with the Donald Duck version of the Diamond System. that confused the hell out of me.

farouk

Registered
My response was to: "most professional players rarely use systems.".............."Great answer". It's not a great answer. It's not even true.

I agree 100%. The great players do use systems, all the time. They're not laying their sticks across the rail just to rest their arm. They don't "use" the diamond system anymore consciously because they've been playing for so long. It's like learning a language, after you've used it for so long you forget the rules you used to learn it. Learn it mechanically, by rote, like the multiplication tables, and eventually you'll just know it without thinking.
As a new player you should definitely learn the basic diamond system and the "plus 2" system, otherwise you will be lost. Diamond system is invaluable for rail first shots, umbrella shots and bank shots. There is NO way, sorry, NO way a beginner can just 'feel' the right angle for a three rail bank shot.

ipitythefool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree 100%. The great players do use systems, all the time. They're not laying their sticks across the rail just to rest their arm. They don't "use" the diamond system anymore consciously because they've been playing for so long. It's like learning a language, after you've used it for so long you forget the rules you used to learn it. Learn it mechanically, by rote, like the multiplication tables, and eventually you'll just know it without thinking.
As a new player you should definitely learn the basic diamond system and the "plus 2" system, otherwise you will be lost. Diamond system is invaluable for rail first shots, umbrella shots and bank shots. There is NO way, sorry, NO way a beginner can just 'feel' the right angle for a three rail bank shot.

I agree, too. All top players use it. Forget the top players, normal players of 0.800+ always rely on diamond sytem first. Game becomes more fun. The systems have their own language :) When you know very good, you don't just watch the ball, you literally keep calculating while playing or watching. Learning diamond system (and all total 8 systems) will help a player break the 1.00. Without diamond knowledge, it is very hard to break the 1.00+ consistently, I can say, impossible. True, every table plays different, diamond sytem also helps judge how many points the table plays minus or plus by doing few test "brikol" shots sorry I don't know in English, so you can calculate how each table plays. It is never 100% accurate, of course. But it is 95% plus with a good "feel" 98% :) But new starters must play "with feel" for few years first, to develop the feel.

Last edited: