Saunier-Wilhem

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Anyone know much on the history of the company?
Started around 1920, various locations mostly East coast, more into Bowling and Ping-pong apparently,but having a difficult time finding out much of anything on their tables.
Ken Hash knows some and has some old catalogs,but I'm trying to background them a bit more.
Real solid table from what I can see, good materials, over engineered,especially for the time period.
If my latest acquisition is anything to go by, they should have been better known in a more widespread market, but there isn't much online about them.
Personally I love the construction of this table over my last Anniversary, and can't wait to see what it can turn into!
Honestly I haven't found a flaw in the design anywhere, so I'm curious as to what happened to the company......weird.

Dartman

Silver Member
Started around 1920, various locations mostly East coast, more into Bowling and Ping-pong apparently,but having a difficult time finding out much of anything on their tables.
Ken Hash knows some and has some old catalogs,but I'm trying to background them a bit more.
Real solid table from what I can see, good materials, over engineered,especially for the time period.
If my latest acquisition is anything to go by, they should have been better known in a more widespread market, but there isn't much online about them.
Personally I love the construction of this table over my last Anniversary, and can't wait to see what it can turn into!
Honestly I haven't found a flaw in the design anywhere, so I'm curious as to what happened to the company......weird.

Like other companies that quit making tables I suppose.
I could swear tho that they have/had a website selling billiard supplies.

TheTablePro

Silver Member
Howdy AZ'ers.....long time no post!

I used to work on tons of those tables in the Cleveland, OH area and they were very beefy tables. Ironically, I just dismantled my first in the Carolina's about a month ago and it was just as I remember. VERY heavy duty framework on them and yes, overkill on engineering. I Googled them an this article came up:

http://www.costar.com/News/Article.aspx?id=4C518A145C1C11398E3A54EF54253C16

Rick - I also swear I've seen a website within the last two years with them selling billiard supplies.

Last edited:

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I have a 4 1/2' x 9' table in my basement. I have totally refinished the table with the exception of the top rails as they are laminated with a heavy clear coat. My table looks a lot like a Brunswich Gold Crown. The table is heavy duty and plays every bit as good if not better than a Gold crown. I will get some picture of it to post.

Kevin

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Thanks for the info guys!
I have a couple of guys interested in it as is,but a few others that wanted it modified first. I'm going to start extending the subrails ans stuff today since I don't have a full day away from the house,and actually have time to work on my own for once....lol

Love to see some more pictures!
The date on my rubber is july8,'63, so not totally sure about the table's age yet.
I'll get some before/after/and during pics posted up.

Have to definately agree with the beefy construction!
Who puts 12 slate screws per end slate?!?!lol

big_wave_dav

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an OS 8 footer in my basement. It was made in the fifties & was rescued out of a poolhall in Cleveland. The guy who had it before me put on super-speed cushions. I currently have it covered in green Championship Tour 3030 & it plays pretty fast. My son & I play straight pool 99% of the time. You are correct, this table is built. Must weigh 1,000 lbs. easy. Here are some pics.....I hope. First time trying to post pics so hope it works.

Dave

Well can't figure out pictures right now. I'll work it out & post some later.

socalplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saunier-Wilhem - in Birmingham, Al

I just ran across this thread today and even though it was awhile back I'll give you
what little I know of the company.

On 03/21/2006 I purchased Blue Diamond Cue tips from:

Saunier-Wilhem Company
1605A Center Point Rd
Birmingham, Alabama 35215
205-854-2822 or 800-548-7404

A Google search today (08/14/2009) came up with this:

Saunier-Wilhem Company
4441 Creekside Ave
Birmingham, Al 35244-5030
Phone: (205) 987-0810

There are also several other locations listed for this company on Google.
I placed my order over the phone and really can't remember if they had a website.
I tried dialing the 800 number above and got a recording saying something about
dialing another number and for a $10 charge I could get their new number.
I don't know if your still looking for info. But if so I hope this will help.

The co. has gone out of business around the early 80's from what I recall.
The one I used to buy from was in down town Pittsburgh,Pa.
The store sold all kinds of bowling, ping pong, and Billiards supplies.
I purchasted cloth, rail bolts, Brunswick balls, sticks, and all the billiard supplies from them back in the day. Lol. Really old building, and mean people working, I hated that place, but that had what you needed for pool tables. They also sold pool tables, I want to say the had something to do with Brunswick in some way. Wow that brought back some memories.

Mark Gregory

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
The co. has gone out of business around the early 80's from what I recall.
The one I used to buy from was in down town Pittsburgh,Pa.
The store sold all kinds of bowling, ping pong, and Billiards supplies.
I purchasted cloth, rail bolts, Brunswick balls, sticks, and all the billiard supplies from them back in the day. Lol. Really old building, and mean people working, I hated that place, but that had what you needed for pool tables. They also sold pool tables, I want to say the had something to do with Brunswick in some way. Wow that brought back some memories.

Mark Gregory

I absolutely love this table!
Thanks for the info Mark, I'm slowly getting filled in with bits and pieces here and there....
But trying to research them on the internet is proving to be a challenge in the billiards department.
Pingpong on the other hand....:wink:

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
House Cue Sticks

I've never heard of Saunier Wilhem until two weeks ago. A set of Saunier Wilhem house cue sticks came with a late model Medalist I bought out of Cullman just north of Birmingham, Alabama. And while in Cullman at the Rack & Cue a gentleman in his late 60's told me of his Saunier Wilhem table at home. He was very proud of it.

Last edited:

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
thanks guys

I don't know how you guys find some of these links! Google should hire you guys to find stuff and put in for them!
I've been able to trace this table back to a closed poolroom in Miami, found out why it has two toned black and white legs, (which clash with the rest of it) and some of the manufacture info on it, although now I'm trying find out who made their rail rubber.
A little bit of glycerin and they're great again. They remind me of the Raybestos rail rubber, but they have the Saunier label on them.
Someone put some thought and pride into their table construction, that's all I can say about it:D

noddon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9' Saunier-Wilhem Keyno Board

I also tried to find Saunier-Williams on google, but had no luck. If anyone is interested, I have a Saunier-Williams 9' Keyno Board for sale. It incluses the game rules and the three Saunier-Williams stores in business when I bought it. I will sell it for $175 plus shipping. If interested, contact me at noddon1@aol.com and I will send you a picture.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
They had a location in Greensboro, NC that was sold a couple years ago. Up until that time they were selling Conneley's along with billiards supplies and bowling supplies. There are Saunier-Wilhelm tables in the area still in use. The tables I have played on have been super fast with both Simonis and Championship cloth. I don't see many of the SW tables but the tables still standing play great and are made to last.

I know that HEADS Billiards in Elon, NC bought the billiards supplies from SW when they closed.

Last edited:

JamesJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sw

SW is definitely out of business. They made their own tables wile also selling Brunswick and others. Some SW name plated tables are actually Brunswick. It was common then for retailers to replace stock name plates such as Brunswick with their own. in fact, I have two of such tables in my garage. They had SW nameplates, but Brunswick stickers and they are definitely Brunswick tables.

Contact Dan Schwarz for any questions on S.W. He worked there as a table installer/mechanic for over 15 years. He has access to materials no else seems to have.

He can be reached at 412-381-1230 or via email: dlschwarz1@verizon.net.