why dont pool instructors teach a snooker stance ???

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...except for Bob Jewett or Stan Shuffett, other 'instructors' with their overpriced stuff can just stay at home in my opinion.
Interesting choices. Bob Jewett and Stan Shuffett are about as opposite as it gets. Bob's an actual scientist who teaches real pool facts, and Stan's more like an aiming evangelist. You might like Stan and his aiming stories, but they're more like metaphors and analogies than facts.

pj <- no offense intended to Stan
chgo

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
What could you possibly help me with?
(other than "loan" me money)..I have absolutely no shame when it comes to clawing for a buck. :smile:
Stay happy.
:thumbup:

Low500 you sound just like a lady I know that plays in our league, she is a 6 which is the highest lady in our league. She was complaining one day about how she knows that she can beat all of the girls that play in Olathe ETC and that she was 1 out of the money and she just cant understand why she cant win the woman's event because she plays better than "Most of those girls" (in her mind).

I told her I will give you FREE lessons (because I wanted to see her do better up there) she looked and me and SAID "Jim Baker you CAN'T TEACH me a thing" her husband almost shat himself and pass out on the floor :withstupid: I looked and her and said "You are right I can't TEACH YOU anything" and walked away

A week later she was getting lessons from another player that is 4 skill levels below me and not an instructor at $50 a set and she lost like $800 in the first week. He and I talked about it and we laughed a lot about it and still do.

She has become my student since last May at $200 a set at whatever spot she thinks is fair in 9 ball and 8 ball. 8 ball she likes 10-3 and 7and the last 2 in 9 ball:grin: Its like going to the ATM but only better.

Nobody can teach you anything because you are closed minded and not willing to learn! You have retarded you progress at getting any better. When you let that EGO go and open your mind up to understand you don't know what you don't know only then will you see what you are really missing!

I too was once like you and thanks to Danny Harriman and Scott Lee as they pointed me in the direction!

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I respect the way you play the game.
I've watched your videos. You know what it's all about. I admire that.
I have been fortunate enough, however, to learn from some of the best that ever lived.
And this next statement of mine will (as usual) create some kind of firestorm from a certain segment....................I never learned as much in my life as I have from studying Stan Shuffett's work on how to aim the proper way. For me, it has revolutionized the way I play the game.
I'm going to buy your DVD's anyway. There is always more to be learned about this game we love.
Stay happy and thanks for your calm, intelligent, conversation.....without any snotty comments like the no sense of humor 'fat belly' types love to come up with .
:thumbup:

Still there for a free touch-base, anytime. I keep a lot of the good stuff off the web, DVDs and magazine articles.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe that we have just been called an "idiot"!

randyg

I must be a Village Idiot. No Instructor. No Peace. I enjoy my instructors. The lessons are as much fun as the game. I cannot learn pool on my own.

Last edited:

John oleson

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stance - ideal

Help me understand ... in many sports there is a consistent position or stance for better players (am thinking golf).

Please offer examples/options to consider.

Thanks ... john_oleson@comcast.net

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Help me understand ... in many sports there is a consistent position or stance for better players (am thinking golf).

I assume you want suggestions about a pool stance. There are lots of examples in the top players. If you want to study their stances, I urge you to attend a major tournament since YouTube videos of matches tend to concentrate on the table and not the player. Be aware that some very good players have some very bad parts in their fundamentals, but they can also serve as examples.

In the meantime, you may want to consider what the stance should do to help you play better. It is better to start from that rather than blindly follow some guru's dictum. You may not come up with a complete answer, but I think it is better to think.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume you want suggestions about a pool stance. There are lots of examples in the top players. If you want to study their stances, I urge you to attend a major tournament since YouTube videos of matches tend to concentrate on the table and not the player. Be aware that some very good players have some very bad parts in their fundamentals, but they can also serve as examples.

In the meantime, you may want to consider what the stance should do to help you play better. It is better to start from that rather than blindly follow some guru's dictum. You may not come up with a complete answer, but I think it is better to think.

Once again I agree with Bob.

Golf stances are like built around bodies not books.

randyg

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

You ask a legitimate question. However, many other stick-and-ball game stances are meant to optimize power, leverage. Pool requires a deft touch and accuracy.

Here's one such stance, no, it's not meant for everyone, and yes, pros exist who don't use it, etc. but:

1. Place the right foot (for right-handers) near the shot line, approximately 70-90 degree to that line, so that the arch of the foot or the middle of the foot is over the line (clears the right hip, provides an anchor to "aim" the body).

2. Step forward, not a baby step, not a great lunge, just a casual step, with the left foot FORWARD so that it comes to rest approximately parallel to the shot line or parallel to that line.

Many players if they hang down/forward with gravity from here, will have their stroke arm and hand on the shot line. (Multiple teachers advocate a similar stance now.)

Give it a go, comes with a money back guarantee, lol, but seriously, if this doesn't work, I'll find you a stance that does. I have several in stock for players with different body and sighting issues.

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Vivid example that emphasizes your point: Pavarotti had the same voice coach for 35 years, right up until Pavarotti's career ended -- and Pavarotti had the money to afford any coach in the world. His lifetime coach was never more than a very average operatic tenor, with few natural gifts, but knew more about tenors' production of notes (and about dramatically/sensitively performing the arias) than just about anyone, anywhere.

As with the coaching of any discipline, a superb coach or instructor consistently notices things that other people would miss . . . and has the ability to perfectly communicate recommended tweaks and to somehow illustrate the means of making even radical changes to his/her client's performing abilities.

Arnaldo

tap tap tap

Brilliant posting Amaldo- like that.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Comes down to tradition and needs of the sport. Traditionally snooker stances for the past decades haven't changed a huge amount so kids and new comers try recreate some form of stance they've seen in the club or on TV. The same can be said for pool. Instructors generally will stick to teaching what they know and have had success with others. You won't get a swimming instructor who has only ever swam the butterfly teaching the back stroke.

Pool has a lot more movement of the cue ball too. Often you need to give the shot a little more umph and a more side on stance accommodates that. Not to say these snooker players can't fizz the white around the table but it's a rarity that it's a must.

I see massive improvements in pool players of late in terms of their fundamentals. I think the skill sets of each sport is starting to slowly cross into one another's game. I've seen shots in snooker in this years world champs that would only have been played on a pool table 5 years ago. Both can teach one another a few things.