Corey's invented the next best thing to instant 9-on-the-snap.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
And it doesn't require any gaps in the rack.
I wanna thank Westcoast for pointing this out in another thread.

Corey will not be satisfied until he completely breaks 9 ball.

First he figured out how to make a ball on the break every time and get a look at the 1.
Then he figured out how to get an easy layout so he can run the whole rack every time.
Now he's figured out how to leave himself a wired 9 ball combo after running just 2 or 3 balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZa59OiRJd8

He hasn't quite perfected it, and maybe it only works on the barbox.
But in this one match he set it up every time
and was able to execute it for 5 out of his 9 wins.

He apparently randomizes a few balls so as to skirt around the pattern racking rule,
though it's obvious what he's doing. Sometimes he just has to run to the 3 ball,
which is near-wired to the 9. Other times to the 4 or 5. Somehow it's never, say, the 8 ball.

Don't get me wrong, the match actually shows some amazing shots by Corey.
It's not like all he does is get early 9's and then runs to the bank.

Dennis seems to be racking differently all the time and breaking much firmer.
Almost like he wants a random outcome. I dunno if he's trying to stick to the spirit of the law,
or if he just gave up trying to imitate what corey does. He's pattern racked in the past.

Rack 2 -

sfoU645.jpg

Rack 5 -

MjCrn6S.jpg

Rack 8 - backfires, Corey loses control of the rack and Dennis gets the early 9.

wFIHTdz.jpg

Rack 10 -

DXgk3OV.jpg

Rack 12 -

sGeSnOR.jpg

Rack 14 -

xXG5Bo9.jpg

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
apparently you haven't watched svb break on a bar box and do the exact same thing.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He apparently randomizes a few balls so as to skirt around the pattern racking rule, though it's obvious what he's doing.

Fun to watch, but he isn't skirting around the pattern racking rule, he's violating said rule. Not that it matters much, I don't think there's a rack he wouldn't have been out anyway.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Just about anyone can do that on a BB and using MR. I get the 3-9 combo. Johnnyt

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
apparently you haven't watched svb break on a bar box and do the exact same thing.

I was hoping he'd enter the SBE barbox pro-am but apparently that money was too easy
and he was too busy winning the 10 ball event.
So no, never saw 6 out of 9 racks end on the same early 9 combo.

I watched about a hundred players at SBE in both amateur and pro barbox events,
and not a single one did what corey's doing, probably because no magic rack.
But even with magic rack, if I hit them as soft as corey seems to, I get flake results.
I'm gonna practice it sometime.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Just about anyone can do that on a BB and using MR. I get the 3-9 combo. Johnnyt

If anyone can do that why is nobody but him doing it?

I'm guessing it's harder than it looks.

I know you got a barbox, and maybe a magic rack.
Give it a whirl, and let me know if you can make a ball, get easy on the 1,
and then make the wired 3-9 combo 5 out of 10 tries.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
He tried to do the same thing when he played SVB on TAR. It didn't work as well.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If anyone can do that why is nobody but him doing it?

I'm guessing it's harder than it looks.

I know you got a barbox, and maybe a magic rack.
Give it a whirl, and let me know if you can make a ball, get easy on the 1,
and then make the wired 3-9 combo 5 out of 10 tries.

It doesn't have to be the 5-9. It could be almost any #-9 but the 1 ball. You hit them so soft that a lot of balls stay around the 9 ball. In almost every break there is a combo on the 9.

I don't have to try it, I do it all the time playing the ghost. It's easy...no I won't put up a fn video of me doing it. You try it. It's very easy to learn in minutes. Johnnyt

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
To eliminate the automatic wing ball in the corner, why don't they just rack the 9 on the spot? especially on a bar box.

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when I saw the Shane, Thorsten bar table match at first I thought "I like this magic rack" it takes the break out of the game. The wing ball went in every time. every time. all they had to do is run out. easy as pie for these guys.
Now I am not so sure. It just might be to predictable.
steven

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did he win the USBTC

I was hoping he'd enter the SBE barbox pro-am but apparently that money was too easy
and he was too busy winning the 10 ball event.
So no, never saw 6 out of 9 racks end on the same early 9 combo.

I watched about a hundred players at SBE in both amateur and pro barbox events,
and not a single one did what corey's doing, probably because no magic rack.
But even with magic rack, if I hit them as soft as corey seems to, I get flake results.
I'm gonna practice it sometime.

Don't think he won the USBTC, I think SVB did.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Just watched the match.

He obviously knows where every ball is going with his break. There is only one secondary collision after the cue ball breaks the rack. The one wing ball goes in the corner the other wing ball goes to the side rail then hits the ball that was racked behind it near the foot rail. The speed is such that other than the one ball and the two that collide, every ball can be mapped within inches. Even without the combo it is a run out table every time.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
He tried to do the same thing when he played SVB on TAR. It didn't work as well.

That is because he could not perform after the break and missed way too many shots AFTER he broke the dead nuts for himself.

Corey's break in that match was absolutely nuts, even SVB was commenting on it from his chair. If Corey could have followed it up with decent shooting post break he would have won that match.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Creedo when you try it try it on the Accu-Rack template as well... They tried to soft break on it at Music City last year and I never saw anyone get it under control... Not saying they wouldn't just wondering if the friction helps keep the wired comb from happening....

Chris

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This happens a lot if you don't make a tight rack. The second ball in, if it's loose from the head ball AND is a bit loose from the 9 will end up in this exact position as there is no force pushing it out. The magic rack may help it as some of the racks do not freeze both balls to the first ball, but can one of them. All Corey has to do is not try to freeze the ball to the 9 so much and there you go.

It's basically cheating.

No, I take it back, in the game of billiards where you should be honorable it is cheating, and pretty advanced cheating at that. If I was running the tournament and someone pointed that out to me, I'd penalize the guy a rack as a first warning and kick him out of the event if he did it again.

Guys that mess with the rack like this need to have several cue parts stuck in some of their body orifices. Some guy who was playing a local tournament wired up the 9 to go in each time or hang up in a pocket, even though it was no 9 on the break rule, because he made the 9 so ofter he just continued to shoot instead of turning over the table on a dry break. Or he'd get the 9 close to the pocket and line up an easy combo if he made another ball. No-one sends the 9 into a pocket more than half the breaks unless you leave a back rack.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
This happens a lot if you don't make a tight rack. The second ball in, if it's loose from the head ball AND is a bit loose from the 9 will end up in this exact position as there is no force pushing it out. The magic rack may help it as some of the racks do not freeze both balls to the first ball, but can one of them. All Corey has to do is not try to freeze the ball to the 9 so much and there you go.

It's basically cheating.

Snip.....
The flaw in your theory is that this happens also with a tight rack. I just set it up with the magic rack and the second ball moved over just like Corey's. It does not require a loose second ball.........So the fact that he can get the balls to go the way they do in no way indicates that he is cheating. :(