UPDATES: 2017 77th BottleDeck.net World 14.1

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is the player list on the American 14.1 site updated? It seems that they just copy and paste the player descriptions from last year.

Will Maynard

Registered
It's on the Main Page. I did some small thoughts, and At Large provided statistics, as normal

Long and short: LeeVan beat Thorsten in the finals. Neither had huge runs, but LeeVan finished with an 80+ unfinished.

The word on the street is that the humidity got a lot of people. And Thorsten looked like something was holding him back. The balls weren't spreading, and he got bad, missing simple shots many times.

LeeVan played like a Filipino, shooting at all kinds of white flags, but he didn't get the huge punishment return. His willingness to go for everything won it for him. He didn't hit many break shots classically, but he didn't get in too much trouble.

LeeVan now currently holds the two prestigious 14.1 titles.

Freddie <~~~ pooled out

What was the final score? I watched it but did not note the final. I think something like 300-187? Also what is the correct spelling of Lee (Van or Vann) Corteza?

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What was the final score? I watched it but did not note the final. I think something like 300-187? Also what is the correct spelling of Lee (Van or Vann) Corteza?

300-183. Stats and inning by inning on the finals here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=461381

Rumor has it that he was named after Lee Van Cleef, the spaghetti western guy. So that would argue for one "n" (if, in fact Cleef's name was correctly spelled with just one). But I've seen Lee's name spelled "Vann" so many times that I've been using that.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lee Van Corteza reminds of real competitive racehorse. Nothing flashy, but always seems to be in deep at the big events, and in straight pool, once he gets the lead, he is hard to pass. Congrats, and let's hope he maintains form In Midlothian VA next week with that field and format.

Will Maynard

Registered
300-183. Stats and inning by inning on the finals here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=461381

Rumor has it that he was named after Lee Van Cleef, the spaghetti western guy. So that would argue for one "n" (if, in fact Cleef's name was correctly spelled with just one). But I've seen Lee's name spelled "Vann" so many times that I've been using that.
Great stuff. Amazing stats! Thanks.

I remember Lee Van Cleef. Mustache and the quiet but deadly type. I haven't thought of him in decades.

Last edited:

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're from Boston, right? One if by Daz, Two if by Lee. Look for the lantern.

Edit: Oops. Looks like I didn't even know who was in the finals! One if by Hohmann, two if by Lee.

I just heard the hooves on the cobblestone.... with the rider shouting " two if by sea", I think...
A lot of street noise, so it could have been "two if by Lee".

I caught a glance of the rider and he went by.... weird, but it looked like he had a pool cue in his hand.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lee Vann, according to him.

But what does he know?

Freddie <~~~ wrong again