Stroke Groover

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you instructors think this product can be beneficial? I would like to hear some comments before i decide to buy one.

DCP

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
I, and most instructors, have used various methods to provide feedback to the student about the movement of their arm. Some examples are holding their elbow in position, resting an item on the students upper arm with the goal of it not falling, and video.

What is really nice about the Stroke Groover is that the instructor does not have to participate mechanically, and the student can simply focus on the feedback from the Stroke Groover. Once they understand their stroking error, and how to correctly move their arm, they can continue to work on the issue on their own.

It can be used without an instructor, but an instructor can identify the errors and provide accurate corrections, and significantly shorten the time necessary to correct the stroke.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Tom Simpson's Stroke Groover? Allows the player to feel when/if they drop their elbow. A pure pendulum-style player would improve using it, or a J- or piston-stroke player who wants to work on timing.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
did you buy it back then?
your experience?

Yes, I bought one back years ago. I thought it was somewhat flimsy to use attached to a 2nd cue so I hung it from a cross-beam section in my basement ceiling above my GCIV and let it hang down from that. It comes down to about the perfect height for my arm to slip into it.

It did stop the elbow drop. But I've never been one to put a lot of faith in what others refer to as muscle memory. I'm not sure there is such a thing. But the contraption does keep your elbow up.

I'd recommend it.

r/DCP

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, I bought one back years ago. I thought it was somewhat flimsy to use attached to a 2nd cue so I hung it from a cross-beam section in my basement ceiling above my GCIV and let it hang down from that. It comes down to about the perfect height for my arm to slip into it.

It did stop the elbow drop. But I've never been one to put a lot of faith in what others refer to as muscle memory. I'm not sure there is such a thing. But the contraption does keep your elbow up.

I'd recommend it.

r/DCP

thanks for the reply

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt...That was not invented by Tom. It was invented by a young German fellow, who brought it over to see if he could sell some. Simpson was just trying to make another buck, like he did with all the other stuff he sold (most of which was "his" stuff). To me. it had then, and still has very limited value, if any. jmo...

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Tom Simpson's Stroke Groover? Allows the player to feel when/if they drop their elbow. A pure pendulum-style player would improve using it, or a J- or piston-stroke player who wants to work on timing.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Matt...That was not invented by Tom. It was invented by a young German fellow, who brought it over to see if he could sell some. Simpson was just trying to make another buck, like he did with all the other stuff he sold (most of which was "his" stuff). To me. it had then, and still has very limited value, if any. jmo...

Scott Lee

Thank you for the correction, Scott. Please be sure, though, when you make an accusation. Tom has passed on and cannot defend his store and his widow's income from such a claim.

He would, like any other instructor, have been entitled to get a device from Germany, and with the developer's permission, test it, market it, sell it--perhaps some royalties go to Germany, I don't know.

You said you dislike his training devices, have you read Tom's book, the one with over 100 short tips and lessons?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt...Are you the ONLY person out there that didn't know Tom was all about selling anything he could to potential students? I said I dislike instructors who feel they must push whatever products they have on an unsuspecting public.

SPF instructors (which Tom was not) don't feel the need to shill products to our students. We dispense loads of valuable information, and what to do with it, as it pertains to your personal pool game.

Scott Lee

You said you dislike his training devices

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Matt...Are you the ONLY person out there that didn't know Tom was all about selling anything he could to potential students? I said I dislike instructors who feel they must push whatever products they have on an unsuspecting public.

SPF instructors (which Tom was not) don't feel the need to shill products to our students. We dispense loads of valuable information, and what to do with it, as it pertains to your personal pool game.

Scott Lee

Hi Scott,

Tom made a nice income from his popular pool clinics, and would also almost always share that income with fellow instructors. I don't think he needed to push products hard and he wasn't a greedy person.

I worked with him for some years on different projects. Not one time did he ask me to shill for his products despite my having a large pool website and etc.