So, I got my ENCO 110-1340 metal lathe today...

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Hey folks,
So I got my metal lathe today and it was quite a work out. Did not drive too far and had a couple friends that were "cherry picker" experts and what a smooth difference it made...
Do you folks know what kind QCTP bits I need to look for when I shop online for them?
Or do you think is worth the money to invest on a different QCTP?
Thanks and sorry for the pics. They were taken with my IPhone.

003.jpg

004.jpg

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I totally agree. I have the BXA, 200 on two lathes and it is robust and solid for little extra in price over the AXA,100. There are two types. The piston, that you have referenced here and the wedge type. I have one of each on two different lathes. It is said that the wedge type has better repeatability but I like the piston type much better. The wedge type must be kept very clean or you end up having trouble getting the holders to sit correctly. They both use the same tool holders.

Dick

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
+1

All the importers had kits on sale recently for cheap. Think I paid less than 200 for post and 5 holders. The actual bit holders I bought came in a kit from Harbor Freight. The inserts are what really count, you can't skip on those...

Here is a cutter suggestion. I have them and like em. Buy 5 at a time or more. You don't really burn through them, but shipping costs as much as an insert.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=112050&highlight=carbide+insert

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's actually a turret tool post.
You'd be better off with a true QCTP.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are lots of different QCTH about these days.
Quite often I see people by the cheaper ones. If you are just a home hobbiest, they are ok.
But if you are serious about your machinery, but the better quality that is repeatable upon replacing the tools.
I only have small lathes, but I use the Myford Dickson version of the small Italian style.
This was done so that any tool can be used on any machine without having to adjust for centre height.They are also very repeatable.I had to make a spacer to get the centre height for the larger lathe I have.
Things to look for in the Italian style, is the Vee ways ground on both the holders and the main block.
Also look at the type of tooling you want to be using,the holder shank size the cost of the inserts. Sometimes the 16mm inserts are cheaper than the smaller 9 or 11 mm as Industry uses alot of them.
Spending some time to think about what you want to make and how you are going to make that item, with the type of tools in mind, saves you buying stuff you never use.
I made the mistake of buying a tool holder that took a round bar tool.Only used it once.
I prefer to have formed packers under round tools and hold them in the regular square holders.

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
CXA is what will properly fit it. BXA will probably need a riser block and that will typically make the post a little sloppy. I would much rather have the BXA model since its a little smaller but it just doesnt give you the height you will need for that particular lathe. If you want BXAs then let me know as i know a guy who is upgrading and is getting rid of 2 posts and a bunch of holders.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CXA is what will properly fit it. BXA will probably need a riser block and that will typically make the post a little sloppy. I would much rather have the BXA model since its a little smaller but it just doesnt give you the height you will need for that particular lathe. If you want BXAs then let me know as i know a guy who is upgrading and is getting rid of 2 posts and a bunch of holders.

I believe you are mistaken. The BXA fits 10-15 in lathe swings. Guess what the model 1340 stands for? The 13 is the lathe swing, and the 40 is the distance between centers. The 200 series BXA is a great fit for all of the various 1340 lathe models.

Kelly

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member

CXA is a monster and not for the 1340. AXA or BXA for this lathe. I like the AXA better for a 1340. After the QCTP, get a rear chuck from Chris and a DRO or Travadial.

Last edited:

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
Tool post

I'd go with the BXA unless I was planning on using morse taper tool holders to do power feed drilling. Then the CXA would probably be better. As said before the CXA holders cost more.
On a different note, make sure you go back and visit some of the posts on truing up your lathe, will save a lot of head scratching when things don't come out exactly like you think they should. I'd also ask Santa for a DRO.
That and a repeatable tool post can make life a lot easier.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony

I have the Bxa wedge type on a 11x37 lathe..I had to put in risers..has worked work great for the last 7 years. You can't beat the price and it should fit your lathe like a glove.

Mario

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'd go with the BXA unless I was planning on using morse taper tool holders to do power feed drilling. Then the CXA would probably be better. As said before the CXA holders cost more.
On a different note, make sure you go back and visit some of the posts on truing up your lathe, will save a lot of head scratching when things don't come out exactly like you think they should. I'd also ask Santa for a DRO.
That and a repeatable tool post can make life a lot easier.

tap, tap, tap.
A machinist level is a must have.
I'd take the chuck out and do a face cut on the backplate as well.