Can a bad sport be a good team member?

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've often wondered how someone who is a bad sport, and treats their opponents with great disrespect, would do in a team situation. What if you had to play with them?

Years ago back in the 90's we had a guy on our BCA team that would belittle every mistake by the rest of us. We all wanted to kill him. (not literally of course). It kinda made the rest of us closer. Today, I can't even remember his name.

"You must never be satisfied with losing. You must get angry, terribly angry, about losing. But the mark of the good loser is that he takes his anger out on himself and not his victorious opponents or on his teammates" ~richard m. nixon

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I've often wondered how someone who is a bad sport, and treats their opponents with great disrespect, would do in a team situation. What if you had to play with them?

Years ago back in the 90's we had a guy on our BCA team that would belittle every mistake by the rest of us. We all wanted to kill him. (not literally of course). It kinda made the rest of us closer. Today, I can't even remember his name.

"You must never be satisfied with losing. You must get angry, terribly angry, about losing. But the mark of the good loser is that he takes his anger out on himself and not his victorious opponents or on his teammates" ~richard m. nixon

Interesting post, good for you

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not worth the headache, not matter how much they win (and you didnt actually say this guy from the 90's was winning)

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody likes to lose, it is difficult to be a good sport and a gracious loser.

But, there is also a line that should never be crossed.

This is the line between amateur and professional, child and adult.

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Tough to say. I think a bad sport can have many levels of badness.
I think you might like to have a person that has total disdain for the other team while
you're playing, a guy that's all about the team, hates losing, knows how to put in the
kill shot. But I suspect it can easily go to far

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Is this another earl thread? :grin:

Ummm...maybe

IMG_4742.JPG

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been a poor sport in the past and I think I'd have been better off if my friends had told me to cut that shit out. Instead, I had to learn to be a better sport myself. Took a little longer but I'm a much better loser now. For how terrible I was during that time, I'm surprised anybody wanted to play me.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I struggle with shutting the f*ck up when I'm at the table. I'm way too hard on myself at times when something goes wrong. Don't play on teams much anymore, but I used to in college. I was far worse then. Way too competitive for my own good while still trying to learn the game. That's the key a lot of amateurs don't understand. They expect to be able to run out like the pros, but they never practice. Relax, accept that you suck, and have fun. The only time you have the right to be angry is when you practice 5 hours a day and you still can't make a ball!!!

That's why I like golf so much. I'm not great at it, can play by myself, and I don't keep score. All I care about is hitting the ball well. Having fun is simply a side effect of this.

Overall, good post OP. Getting angry at yourself is much better than blaming an opponent or the equipment... However, not getting angry at all is much more fun than either of the above options.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I left a team because of a guy on the team who gambled and pulled a lot of moves on people.

You have to be careful who you associate with.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I struggle with shutting the f*ck up when I'm at the table. I'm way too hard on myself at times when something goes wrong. Don't play on teams much anymore, but I used to in college. I was far worse then. Way too competitive for my own good while still trying to learn the game. That's the key a lot of amateurs don't understand. They expect to be able to run out like the pros, but they never practice. Relax, accept that you suck, and have fun. The only time you have the right to be angry is when you practice 5 hours a day and you still can't make a ball!!!

That's why I like golf so much. I'm not great at it, can play by myself, and I don't keep score. All I care about is hitting the ball well. Having fun is simply a side effect of this.

Overall, good post OP. Getting angry at yourself is much better than blaming an opponent or the equipment... However, not getting angry at all is much more fun than either of the above options.

I love golf for the same reason. I like to take 2-3 clubs and my putter and play in the evenings. Have a beer or two. I love it.

MFB

Just a User
Silver Member
"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Vince Lombardi

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I love golf for the same reason. I like to take 2-3 clubs and my putter and play in the evenings. Have a beer or two. I love it.

Golf has nothing over billiards for anybody's disposition....I know some players it's a pleasure
to play on a table with, win or lose...put them on a golf course and they become maniacs.
I was a good junior golfer who threw clubs, till I saw the senselessness of it.

Golf gave me a quick start at billiards when i started at 17....I could make long shots better
than anybody in my area...so one day I punched in a long shot from the end rail, kissed
off two reds and scratched in the side....I complained about the luck bitterly...
..an old guy on the bench said 'Kid, that side pocket's been there for a hundred years."
Since then, I'm pretty good at accepting responsibility for everything that happens when
I shoot....I never minded criers when I gambled, though....it's a weakness.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same here! Love playing with only what you can carry. Though a golf bag does help to store more beer....

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would hold a team vote. They would be banished and shunned no matter how good they were. They are cancerous.

-Kat,

Bigtruck I've often wondered how someone who is a bad sport, and treats their opponents with great disrespect, would do in a team situation. What if you had to play with them?

"You must never be satisfied with losing. You must get angry, terribly angry, about losing. But the mark of the good loser is that he takes his anger out on himself and not his victorious opponents or on his teammates" ~richard m. nixon[/QUOTE]