Dufferin One Piece Hi-Run House Pool Cue?

tomx

Registered
I decided to buy a Dufferin One Piece Hi-Run House Pool Cue (~$30) but found the following comment on the web. Is it true? If yes, should I avoid it? Any other suggestions on a cheap but good house cue?

Thanks!

Tom

==============
Regarding Dufferin cues, they went out of business a couple years ago. They had a great reputation. A billiards distributor bought the name, and is now cranking them out in China. Too bad the quality isn’t close to what it was.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I'm pretty sure they went out of business a few years back, but I cannot verify the rest of the story.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I had a Dufferin one-piece in a bar I went to a lot in the late 1970's to the early 1900's. I paid $19.95 for it. It's a great cue for the $$. My son-in-law still uses it. Johnnyt

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
tomx said:
Any other suggestions on a cheap but good house cue?

tom,

Ozone Billiards at www.OzoneBilliards.com, has 2-piece Rage cues on sale for like $23.99 apiece. I bought a couple of them so visitors at my house that don't take the game seriously would feel like they were playing with a "real" cue. Turns out they hit pretty good. Wish I'd of bought four or five of them.

Maniac

tomx

Registered
Maniac,

Is this the one you are talking about? It doesn't say it's 1 or 2 piece though. So if it doesn't say, it means it's 2 piece, right? Thanks!

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/ragcueblacst.html

Tom

Maniac said:
tom,

Ozone Billiards at www.OzoneBilliards.com, has 2-piece Rage cues on sale for like $23.99 apiece. I bought a couple of them so visitors at my house that don't take the game seriously would feel like they were playing with a "real" cue. Turns out they hit pretty good. Wish I'd of bought four or five of them.

Maniac

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Tom, that's the line of cues I'm talking about. I got model numbers RG45 and RG40 and believe it or not, they are straight as an arrow with a pretty good hit. I think 24 bucks for a 2-piece cue ain't a bad deal for what you want it for.

Maniac

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dufferin did go out of business

Cues now made in China.

The production equipment went to China with the name.

tomx

Registered
So you think they should be still good, right? Thanks!

Tom

Scaramouche said:

Cues now made in China.

tomx

Registered
Thanks, I think I will get one Rage and one Dufferin to try them out.

All the best,

Tom

Maniac said:
Tom, that's the line of cues I'm talking about. I got model numbers RG45 and RG40 and believe it or not, they are straight as an arrow with a pretty good hit. I think 24 bucks for a 2-piece cue ain't a bad deal for what you want it for.

Maniac

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scaramouche said:

Cues now made in China.

I have 2 Dufferin 2 piece cues made in Canada. I can't decide whether to sell them or keep them in the hope that the price will rise because they are no longer being made in Canada .

acedotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tomx said:
I decided to buy a Dufferin One Piece Hi-Run House Pool Cue (~$30) but found the following comment on the web. Is it true? If yes, should I avoid it? Any other suggestions on a cheap but good house cue?

Thanks!

Tom

==============
Regarding Dufferin cues, they went out of business a couple years ago. They had a great reputation. A billiards distributor bought the name, and is now cranking them out in China. Too bad the quality isn’t close to what it was.

There are several one-piece cues of varying costs and quality on my one-piece cue page. (I'm a pooldawgy affilliate) I sell a lot of them but the stats I get don't id the particular cues.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Hal said:
Mcdermott also makes house cues.

They did make them for a fairly short time, retail was like $49. I'm pretty sure they stopped a few years back, I inquired about one while my cue was there last year, they couldn't help me.

gr. Dave

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
The old Dufferin house cues were the best!

I bought a set in 1992 for my home table. The cues are still dead straight and hit an Imperial Ton. I've also been buying the used Canadian ones as they come up for sale but they're hard to find in excellent condition.

They did go belly up. We all want cheaper stuff I guess and we certainly are getting it. The imported house cues pale compared to the old Dufferins.

Chris

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
TATE said:
I bought a set in 1992 for my home table. The cues are still dead straight and hit an Imperial Ton. I've also been buying the used Canadian ones as they come up for sale but they're hard to find in excellent condition.

They did go belly up. We all want cheaper stuff I guess and we certainly are getting it. The imported house cues pale compared to the old Dufferins.

Chris

I know of a place that still has at least a hundred of the old ones brand new, mostly 12.5mm. I got two there myself, dead-straight. They are in Europe though. Contact me if you're interested.

gr. Dave

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Double-Dave said:
I know of a place that still has at least a hundred of the old ones brand new, mostly 12.5mm. I got two there myself, dead-straight. They are in Europe though. Contact me if you're interested.

gr. Dave

I'd like to buy them all.

Poolschool

Pool table nerd
Silver Member
I have 100 - 150 Eterna's (without points) made in Canada and some remaining high run's before they were bought out. I really like the straight taper on the eterna's they play really good. There is some really nicely figured woods as well. $35 each shipped. Let me know if anyone is interested. I also have a select few that came from Dufferin's private stock but they are on the wall and staying.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Poolschool said:
I have 100 - 150 Eterna's (without points) made in Canada and some remaining high run's before they were bought out. I really like the straight taper on the eterna's they play really good. There is some really nicely figured woods as well. $35 each shipped. Let me know if anyone is interested. I also have a select few that came from Dufferin's private stock but they are on the wall and staying.
Someday I'm gonna have the courage to chop some of these purples I bought from you.
They won't have sneaky prices though.