Earl Strickland - Demystified

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Well, after sitting in the Pool Pics by Hoppe room talking to Earl for a half-hour... he gave me the "Rosetta Stone" of some of his non-traditional methods.

Of course, I asked about the rifle glasses, the tape, the gloves, the strap-on weights... etc. He said as he's getting older, he's noticed biological changes in his game caused by aging. Unlike "some other aging pros," he's determined to beat the aging process and prevent the reduction of "execution" by using some of his gear.

Here are a few explanations:

Rifle glasses

He doesn't like green felt as the contrast between the green and the balls is tougher on his eyes. If the felt is green, he may use blue or yellow rifle glasses to increase the contrast of the edge of the ball. There is also a slight prescription that increases the size of the balls slightly.

Taping each fingertip on his right hand
He thinks this cradles the cue much better and increases the feel, and reduces slight movements in his shooting hand. He even has a special way of taping his fingers, from the joint to the tip-- and then molding the tape in a way that better cradles the cue. This reduces slight movement in the extremities, found w/ aging.

Wrist / hand weight

He uses a 4lb. strap-on weight on his left wrist that keeps his bridge locked down, and prevents slight movement.

Of all the gear, he attributes this wrist weight as being the secret to playing at a high level to an older age.

Interesting, I thought. He says he's not losing his game w/out a fight - and is fighting aging until he can't win anymore.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting stuff....Earl is younger than Efren, is in great physical shape, and doesnt have any physical ailments, but uses all this stuff to help him because of aging. Efren has alot of physical ailments (some that are kind of serious) and he still plays great, for hours on end.

It makes me think that it's all in Earl's head. He's not THAT old :rolleyes:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
Interesting stuff....Earl is younger than Efren, is in great physical shape, and doesnt have any physical ailments, but uses all this stuff to help him because of aging. Efren has alot of physical ailments (some that are kind of serious) and he still plays great, for hours on end.

It makes me think that it's all in Earl's head. He's not THAT old :rolleyes:

Let me state up front that I do not know Earl Strickland very well. I have been in his presence from time to time when he is conversing with my friends.

Having said that, I have heard him comment on more than one occasion that he is very conscientious about his health, to include keeping his weight down. He believes that if a pool player is in good shape that it will help them perform better when they are competing.

I think I remember hearing a live audio feed with Earl Strickland, which was provided here on AzBilliards by Aaron, Corey, Shawn Putnam, and Dee Adkins. Earl was speaking with the four of them, and he stated that he, indeed, wanted to get his weight down to a more comfortable level before he went to a high-profile event which was going to occur in Las Vegas.

I think it is well known that Earl enjoys playing golf, which is, of course, an excellent way to exercise. He stated on Aaron's live audio feed that he had invented a tool to help golfers with their stroke. In my experience, champion-caliber players are intelligent, more than some might think. So it does not surprise me that someone of Earl's stature would be able to create helpful tools of the trade.

Like pool, golf, IMHO, is another rich man's high that only a few pool players can enjoy if you take into account the pool payouts. However, Earl seems to have the best of both worlds in that he is intelligent and is a champion in what he has pursued in life. I think sometimes when some people poke fun at Earl, it could be that they are jealous of his accomplishments. Nobody can ever take away the fact that he is, in fact, an American legend. I can't see anybody beating his record in my lifetime.

JAM

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:

Earl Strickland, which was In my experience, champion-caliber players are intelligent, more than some might think.
JAM
This is for the believers only.
I never came across a dumb person whose zodiac sign was controlled by planet Mercury.
EARL is a gemini and Effren is a Virgo
These Zodiac signs -Gemini and Virgo -are controlled by planet Mercury.Mercury controls Gemini in it`s articulation phase ( hence u see Earl talking and Geminis are very intelligent) and controls Virgo in it`s analytical phase( that is what makes Effren a very analytical person as reflected in his one pocket game).:cool:

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the legend of Earl

JAM said:
Let me state up front that I do not know Earl Strickland very well. I have been in his presence from time to time when he is conversing with my friends.

Having said that, I have heard him comment on more than one occasion that he is very conscientious about his health, to include keeping his weight down. He believes that if a pool player is in good shape that it will help them perform better when they are competing.

I think I remember hearing a live audio feed with Earl Strickland, which was provided here on AzBilliards by Aaron, Corey, Shawn Putnam, and Dee Adkins. Earl was speaking with the four of them, and he stated that he, indeed, wanted to get his weight down to a more comfortable level before he went to a high-profile event which was going to occur in Las Vegas.

I think it is well known that Earl enjoys playing golf, which is, of course, an excellent way to exercise. He stated on Aaron's live audio feed that he had invented a tool to help golfers with their stroke. In my experience, champion-caliber players are intelligent, more than some might think. So it does not surprise me that someone of Earl's stature would be able to create helpful tools of the trade.

Like pool, golf, IMHO, is another rich man's high that only a few pool players can enjoy if you take into account the pool payouts. However, Earl seems to have the best of both worlds in that he is intelligent and is a champion in what he has pursued in life. I think sometimes when some people poke fun at Earl, it could be that they are jealous of his accomplishments. Nobody can ever take away the fact that he is, in fact, an American legend. I can't see anybody beating his record in my lifetime.

JAM

Although you can count me as one of those who don't care for his antics and dark side, I agree with you about his champion's talent......I think Billy Incardona said it best once on an Accu-Stats tape..."that guy has more natural talent and ability (for playing pool) than anybody I've ever seen"...
...watching him stroke on a table when he is running racks (IMHO) is one of the classic examples of pool playing at its natural best.....

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Don't know who was looking at Earl and at what angle, but you can see his rather growing gut.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
In regards to his gut... he's wearing a large back-brace under his shirt. I forgot to mention that gear up above. He told me today he typically does about 200-500 sit-ups a day during tournaments like DCC. He was being DEAD serious. He says it helps his trunk "lock-in" during shots. Not all at one time, just in 100-situp sets.

He said that was his secret to winning... situps. He said it with such conviction and energy, I wouldn't bet against it.

steveharn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shape

I know Earl's alittle older now but he has put on weight, and has a noticeable "gut", I do too. But I sure don't do situps like that. When my son and I first met Earl in KC at the Trade Show he seemed to be in fantastic shape, '93. I didn't know Earl smoked until a few years ago, that alone can take it's toll on the body. I would hope he would give that up. That would certainly slow the aging process down if that's what he's trying to do. Electrifying player, I wish he would try being a "nice guy", I truly believe that would turn his game around.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
there are quite a few players you could argue a case for being the best nine baller ever, but one thing is without a doubt - when he's on he plays the game the most beautiful and inspirational than anyone else.

now i'm Earl's biggest fan, but steveharn above does have a point. a lot of his problems could be solved by doing some sorting out up above, i'm surprised he hasnt looked at Efren as inspiration and got really fired up to match him. there should be no reason why he shouldn't. Also i'm surprised earl smokes, are you sure? one, it goes against what he was saying about limiting the effects of ageing, and two, billy incardona said he doesn't smoke on an accu-stats tape. in general i mean lol, not that he just doesn't smoke on accu-stats tapes!

Reactions: JAM

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
He said that was his secret to winning... situps. He said it with such conviction and energy, I wouldn't bet against it.

Spider-man,
Well after looking at your draw in the banks event; I guess you should have pencilled in about 3 or 4 thousand sit-ups a day.

Were you happy with the draw; or ticked off????

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
worriedbeef said:
there are quite a few players you could argue a case for being the best nine baller ever, but one thing is without a doubt - when he's on he plays the game the most beautiful and inspirational than anyone else.

now i'm Earl's biggest fan, but steveharn above does have a point. a lot of his problems could be solved by doing some sorting out up above, i'm surprised he hasnt looked at Efren as inspiration and got really fired up to match him. there should be no reason why he shouldn't. Also i'm surprised earl smokes, are you sure? one, it goes against what he was saying about limiting the effects of ageing, and two, billy incardona said he doesn't smoke on an accu-stats tape. in general i mean lol, not that he just doesn't smoke on accu-stats tapes!

Worriedbeef, I think that most folks who do smoke cigarettes -- and I am one of them -- are not happy that they have the habit. :eek:

Yes, it is a very bad habit, indeed. :(

Having said that, I know of one high-profile lady pro who smokes cigarettes, but NEVER, EVER will be photographed smoking a cigarette.;)

Although I happened to have snatched a picture of her smoking a cigarette at one event, I would not publish it because of her disdain for the public knowing that she does have a cigarette addiction.

I personally think it is very admirable that she does NOT desire to be photographed with a cigarette in her hand, as she wants to present a better image maybe for the younger folks.

Are pros who smoke cigarettes bad people? Of course not. They, like many addicted cigarette smokers, probably do not like this awful habit. However, it is their choice whether they want to smoke or not smoke.

If the smoking of cigarettes in the closet, so to speak, does not affect their game in the public's eye, then I think they are entitled to keep their cigarette habits to themselves. :p

JAM

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Williebetmore:

Firstly- it was a pleasure meeting you this week!

I wasn't upset w/ my draw at all. I played very well my first round and won 3-0. Evgeny Stalev played near flawless, and it was an honor to play him. Tony Crosby... well... I was up 4-2 balls in the first game, made the game-winning ball and went two rails for a scratch. After that, he ran over me too. I was happy just to look like I belonged there for about 20 minutes. I have to add that Tony is a cool guy - fun guy to talk to.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind drawing Efren Reyes, buying back in, and then drawing Francisco Bustamante. Where else can you get top-of-the-world experience for $100?

Dave

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Williebetmore:

I wasn't upset w/ my draw at all. I played very well my first round and won 3-0. Evgeny Stalev played near flawless, and it was an honor to play him. Tony Crosby... well... I was up 4-2 balls in the first game, made the game-winning ball and went two rails for a scratch. After that, he ran over me too. I was happy just to look like I belonged there for about 20 minutes. I have to add that Tony is a cool guy - fun guy to talk to.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind drawing Efren Reyes, buying back in, and then drawing Francisco Bustamante. Where else can you get top-of-the-world experience for $100?

Dave

D,
That would pretty much be my thought as well.

For those that don't know it; the Spiderweb-man is an excellent player; but has significant bad/good luck in the area of the draw. One of our local stud bank players Mac Ashby ended up with a similar draw; first drawing our other great local player Jim Stoner; then Efren; then some other heavyweight I can't remember.

To me that is one of the great attractions of the DCC - anyone can put in their cash and mix it up with some of the legends of the game.

Poolschool

Pool table nerd
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Williebetmore:

Dave

Class Act my friend!!! Good luck.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I really noticed the weight from the Florida Pro Tour videos or whatever they were. (they are linked in the main forum)

My high school teacher used to say I was in "billiard shape" and or course if we don't admit how fat we are, we can't claim being

"Belly hooked"

On that subject, has anyone seen someone's gut that was so large that when they leaned over the table the gut covered up some balls and as they breathed it rearranged them?

Ratchet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
D,

To me that is one of the great attractions of the DCC - anyone can put in their cash and mix it up with some of the legends of the game.

WBM ,
I really enjoyed meeting you again this year ,what can I say about the room this year but AWESOME once again , I tried to get my roommate to stay another day or two after the BCA event was concluded to help defray costs but to no avail . I would have liked to spent more time in the room !

I had a great chat and got a personalized picture with Earl Strickland whom I found to be quite polite and entertaining in person ,he is very passionate about his love for the game , He even talked about what sets him off lol !

Ratchet aka Tom S.

1-pocket-player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
u12armresl said:
On that subject, has anyone seen someone's gut that was so large that when they leaned over the table the gut covered up some balls and as they breathed it rearranged them?
I saw Danny Basavich knock a ball in with his gut once. He told the referee and they spotted it back up.

-Andy

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
ROFLMAO

I actually think Mizerak made a joke about being Belly Hooked one time down in Florida.

1-pocket-player said:
I saw Danny Basavich knock a ball in with his gut once. He told the referee and they spotted it back up.

-Andy