Revo technology

USOpenPlayer

Registered
Well, new , new , another new shaft. Really? I took a 1960's black graphite shaft from a $5.00 cue , foam filled it as I did 30 years ago while being in the plastics business as a consultant ; added my joint and ferrule....played great...actually toooo great for what it was!!! Couple guys at the billiard room asked if it was a Revo, I laughed and explained that it was not a 500.00 shaft . A salesman can sell you anything if you believe it puts balls in easier...we've all done that. With time on the table you can adapt with any cue...Hoppe used the same cue for over 17 years..he knew what it would do. Marketing is expensive and technical jargen is there to impress and justify pricing as in any well oiled business venture. With newer machines products can be made consistent , cosmetically appealing and fasssst.
Experiment yourself , you will be amazed at the simplicity to make a good playing shaft.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I play the same regardless of the shaft. I do have a 12.4 and 12.9 Revo. No regrets. It does not play better than a 314-2 or any stock shaft I have. I had a CueTec shaft take a nice scratch. I can live without the REVO but I do like playing with it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, new , new , another new shaft. Really? I took a 1960's black graphite shaft from a $5.00 cue , foam filled it as I did 30 years ago while being in the plastics business as a consultant ; added my joint and ferrule....played great...actually toooo great for what it was!!! Couple guys at the billiard room asked if it was a Revo, I laughed and explained that it was not a 500.00 shaft . A salesman can sell you anything if you believe it puts balls in easier...we've all done that. With time on the table you can adapt with any cue...Hoppe used the same cue for over 17 years..he knew what it would do. Marketing is expensive and technical jargen is there to impress and justify pricing as in any well oiled business venture. With newer machines products can be made consistent , cosmetically appealing and fasssst.
Experiment yourself , you will be amazed at the simplicity to make a good playing shaft.

I'd bet the advertising in Hoppe's day claimed you would play like him if you bought his cue:)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd bet the advertising in Hoppe's day claimed you would play like him if you bought his cue:)
Some ads seemed to say you would play like him if you smoked his brand of cigarettes.

And "More doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette."

CropperCapture[84].jpg

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is your beef with the cost of the shaft? Or is it that you feel it doesn't play any better than regular wood shafts or wood LD shafts? Just trying to understand what you're trying to say.

I have played with a SW for most of 15 years or more and Meuccis and McDermotts and Hueblers before that. I'm switching to a revo for one main reason, no more dings. That's it.

I've hit with several and I think they hit and feel just fine. I'm not looking forward to the tedious process of relearning how to aim but I think it will be worth it in the long run because I won't be sitting in a pool hall stewing about all the dings and dents that mysteriously appear on my wooden shafts.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Have you tried it next to a Revo playing the same shot?
Have you shot with a Revo for an extended period of time.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Did you try taking an old ski pole made of carbon and putting a ferrule on it? Filling it with foam would probably be a good idea. You need one of the tapered downhill ones, they should be the right diameter (ish). Should be low deflection, but will hit like crap, I guess. If you use a glove anyway, might as well go all out! It would definitely be necessary in this case.

I think the biggest challenge with stuff like this is getting an acceptable hit, with secure bonds in the joint and ferrule areas without putting a lot of wood or other materials there. But then again I don't make cues, so I wouldn't know, really.

My first cue had fiber glass in it. I thought it hit well, and the shaft was white, making aiming a breeze. Sadly the deflection was high, but I really thought the hit was ok for the extremely low price. Cuetecs offerings were very poor hitting by comparison. They seem to bend in all the wrong places, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I've been beaten more with old McDermotts, Hueblers and Meuccis than any other cues. BIIIIG ferrules, BIIIG diameter shafts. I should have won those matches easily, right? Wrong. It's the player not the shaft. Those all black Revo shafts look cool though. Just not 500 dollar cool, to me. They play just as well as the player holding them, unfortunately in my case, when I try them, that's not quite good enough, lol.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trust me; I it hasn't happened yet, it will Real SOON. The market will be flooded with " RIVA " Shafts that play as good as the " Revo " shafts and the hype will be over as fast as it started because the " Riva " shaft will retail for like $79.95.

PS- taking orders now....... JK!!!!!!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried it next to a Revo playing the same shot?
Have you shot with a Revo for an extended period of time.

Of course he didn’t lol He just wants to give his uneducated opinion. That’s a lot more fun

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course, marketing usually drives every product but new gadgets helps add interest and most importantly.....money. Perhaps with more gadgets that sell successfully will culminate in more tournaments, higher purses, and sponsorship. All reasonable people know gadgets will not change the order of champions. Nor will a layered tip, low deflection shafts, or other new products. The good thing is it keeps us amateurs hopeful of improvement even when our abilities are lacking. Best of all, no one can force us to buy them.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Of course, marketing usually drives every product but new gadgets helps add interest and most importantly.....money. Perhaps with more gadgets that sell successfully will culminate in more tournaments, higher purses, and sponsorship. All reasonable people know gadgets will not change the order of champions. Nor will a layered tip, low deflection shafts, or other new products. The good thing is it keeps us amateurs hopeful of improvement even when our abilities are lacking. Best of all, no one can force us to buy them.

Best post of the thread ^

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True

You are right on with " with time on the table you can adapt to any cue" . Sometimes we all get caught up with looking for lightning in a bottle.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Good Looks and Low Deflection

Here's how I look at the Revo. It's supposed to be Predator's lowest deflection shaft ever. If so, that's good, but not the main reason that I personally bought one.

Just like how we buy cues with inlays that have a look that we like, I have always really liked cues with a lot of "black" in them. I especially like the look of a black shaft.

Therefore, I recently bought an all black BeCue Dark Matter break cue and I will be putting the 12.4 mm Revo onto my Schon butt as soon as I receive it. (Using a Gaboon ebony 2.5 inch extension that I've already been using and really like).

As long as my new setup doesn't actually take away from how I play, I'm going to be using cues that I really like the look of.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
For as much "it's the indian, not the arrow" talk around here, it fascinates me how concerned people are with how others spend their money, or what they choose to play with. All of a sudden everyone is a concerned citizen trying valiantly to stop the poor uneducated masses from buying something they might not need. :rolleyes:

Just be a better indian, and let people like what they like. Discretionary income from lower level players keeps an awful lot of businesses afloat.

Ps - I love my Revo :)

b