List of Living 200+ Runners

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thank you Stu. I was hoping you'd help out here!

The first three players you mentioned - Tom Jennings, Eddie Kelly, and Frank McGowan - they are still around, correct? I know it's very morbid to ask that question, but if we don't limit the list to "alive" then we are really opening a whole can of worms. There is no way we could hope to get a list of every person who ever lived who ran 200, but we might be able to do a decent job of every person currently around who did.

Good calls on the Bill Dunsmore and Earl Herring. I am fairly certain I had already added Tommy Ruocco to the Possibles.

Thanks for the info on Parica.

- Steve

P.S. I also added Ryan McCreesh, as I do remember him telling me he ran 200+ just before last year's Maryland tournament.

Eddie Kelly is alive. I saw him in 2009. Tom Jennings would only be in his 60's, I'd guess, though I haven't heard of him in years, as he retired very young. Frank McGown I simply can't say. My guess is that he'd be in his 70's. Perhaps someone on the forum knows him, and can help us out here.

Another "possible" is Martin Kempter of Austria, who ran 160 vs Dennis Hatch in the 2007 World 14.1 event, as is Huidji See of the Netherlands, who seems to run over 100 almost every year at Derby City and has two different top five finishes in the World 14.1 championships.

Tony Zinzola

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve, I'm not 100% sure, but I know these two were getting close to that number when we left Ithaca. The magnificent husband and wife duo of John and Mary.

You could put me down for 200 consecutive misses. Or, better yet, hurry up and run 200 with your new cue. That's the closest I will ever get.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Eddie Kelly is alive. I saw him in 2009. Tom Jennings would only be in his 60's, I'd guess, though I haven't heard of him in years, as he retired very young. Frank McGown I simply can't say. My guess is that he'd be in his 70's. Perhaps someone on the forum knows him, and can help us out here.

Another "possible" is Martin Kempter of Austria, who ran 160 vs Dennis Hatch in the 2007 World 14.1 event, as is Huidji See of the Netherlands, who seems to run over 100 almost every year at Derby City and has two different top five finishes in the World 14.1 championships.

Thanks again, Stu. I will add all three players to the confirmed list.

Btw, if you check post #2 in this thread, it contains my list of "possibles", where both Martin Kempter and Huidji See are listed.

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. To Tony, lol.

Mainplayer

Gold Member
My high run is 109 on a diamond. I personally can't stay focused for this game. I have to be playing it every day, day in day out. I manage to get by one a play a good play though. Its something about competition for me. I stink at the straight pool challenge at the derby because I am not play against anyone. I also play this game well it the pockets are a little tighter. I don't know why. I will be at the Maryland 14.1 championships next weekend and hope to do well. I missed out on the final four last year by like 9 balls or something if I remember right.

harris4143

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if i remember correctly Ed Mutoshnek(not sure of the spelling) has run over 200 balls i will try to get in touch with him to find out

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
How about Lenny Favata of Queens, NY or Ernie Costa of Brooklyn, NY or Mike Zuglan of Albany, NY?

Last edited:

The Grinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Larry Wiggins

from Lansing MI ran 100+ on a very regular basis at one time. He plays equally well with either hand. I would not be surprised if he ever hit 200.

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about Tom Walter and Rico Diks? I have to imagine that they've run 200...though I don't know for certain.

I think I've heard Alex Pagulayan has run 200+

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Neither Tom Walter nor Lenny Favata have run 200, according to Danny Barouty, who would know. Both of these players are and were incredibly strong, and it just goes to show that the 200 mark is fairly arbitrary.

Mike Zuglan has forever claimed that he's never run more than he needed to win a game. For the record, I don't believe this. He is a human and it's only natural to see how far you can go, especially when you're ridiculously good at something. I've gotten into this argument with people who know him, who swear he is a bit of a strange bird and really has never tried to run anything. So I don't want to get into it again, I'll just say that his claim is... bizarre.

Thanks,
Steve

Mainplayer

Gold Member
Tj LaFlamme is the same way. He claims he has only ran what he has needed to win that match. I think it is in the 140's or something. And from what I have seen he can play with anyone at the game.

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rico Diks, Greg Fix, and Jack Hynes all 200 ball runners Teddy G also ran 200 if my memory serves me correctly was talking to a AZ member about a year ago that was a 300+ ball runner older gentlemen believe his first name was Pat Howery (i think) he was the real deal. How about guys that gave up the game but played like god people like the Hawk Bernie Scwartz anyone know if he ran 200? I would think there would be more guys from the east coast then are listed but Steve Lipisky would know so I defer

play141

Registered
It seems one name is missing. His name was Willie something,wasn't it? Have we forgotten Willie Mosconi so soon?

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Rico Diks, Greg Fix, and Jack Hynes all 200 ball runners Teddy G also ran 200 if my memory serves me correctly was talking to a AZ member about a year ago that was a 300+ ball runner older gentlemen believe his first name was Pat Howery (i think) he was the real deal. How about guys that gave up the game but played like god people like the Hawk Bernie Scwartz anyone know if he ran 200? I would think there would be more guys from the east coast then are listed but Steve Lipisky would know so I defer

Thanks for the info, Huckster. I know Rico Diks is still with us, but what about Greg and Jack?

Also, can you give me just a little info on these players' runs, or more specifically, why you are confident that they definitely ran the 200? Did they tell you themselves?

I believe Pat Howie is no longer with us, and what a tremendous loss that is.

I have never heard of Bernie Schwartz... anyone else know anything?

Thanks,
Steve

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I have run over two hundred balls playing straight pool. Oh, you mean two hundred without missing. j/k

Actually, I know you guys are serious about promoting straight pool. After you have compiled the list you could consider putting an attractive border around the the names and then mount the list in an inexpensive picture frame that pool room owners would purchase and hang in their respective pool rooms. Just a thought..

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Thanks for the idea, Joey. I just might do something like that. At first I thought it wouldn't work, since this is a list of the living (and, well, that has a funny way of changing), but as long as I include an "as of" date it should be OK.

For something like that, I'll definitely need some more information on each player (approximate date of run, circumstances, location, etc). Once I get the names down, doing the research should be easier, I suspect.

Whatever I make, you've got some jelly coming... ;)

Thanks,
Steve

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few names I can think of are Karl Boyes, Darren Appleton and Charlie Bryant.

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Hi 441,

Can you be more specific? These are people you are sure have run over 200 (if so, how?), or are you just saying that they should go on the "possibles" list?

Thanks,
Steve

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi 441,

Can you be more specific? These are people you are sure have run over 200 (if so, how?), or are you just saying that they should go on the "possibles" list?

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry Steve, I wasn't specific. I think they are possibles. Boyes and Appleton certainly play well enough to have run 200+ but I really don't know their high runs. As for Bryant, a friend of mine witnessed him running 180+ in practice and he said it looked fairly effortless, but again I don't really know his actual high run.