Pool table in the garage

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so we're seriously considering a pool table, but the problem right now is that it can only be placed in our garage. The garage is not enclosed, and our community won't allow us to do so. Question is, will it be a problem to have a table in a non climate controlled environment? We would try to add an air conditioner vent, but that's about as far as changes to the room.

Thoughts?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Not sure what you mean. Is this not your own personal garage? Is it a car port? Or are you talking about a community garage with a sliding gate rather than a door that everyone parks in and you have only a couple of spots? Sorry, but I've never really heard of a personal garage that doesn't have a door. To me garages are, by definition, enclosed spaces.

You didn't mention where you live, but if you can't control the climate then you are at the mercy of humidity.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Ok, so we're seriously considering a pool table, but the problem right now is that it can only be placed in our garage. The garage is not enclosed, and our community won't allow us to do so. Question is, will it be a problem to have a table in a non climate controlled environment? We would try to add an air conditioner vent, but that's about as far as changes to the room.

Thoughts?

Yes, depending on the climate in your area it could be a problem.

Just curious as to why your community wont allow an enclosed garage, I haven't heard of that before.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
They do sell pool tables that can be used outdoors, and can even get wet.... that should like what you need in case of a storm blowing rain under the car port..... they actually look like solid built tables for some rich folks to put around their swimming pools...

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The humidity could be a big problem. In 2004 a hurricane came through and knocked out the power to my pool hall for 18 days. The humidity made the tables virtually unplayable. It was like trying to play on mud. It took 2 weeks after the power came back on for the tables to dry out.

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, it's real garage. What I mean is that they won't allow for the garage door to be torn down and place a wall to make a room.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, it's real garage. What I mean is that they won't allow for the garage door to be torn down and place a wall to make a room.

Hm.. if you don't use it... just build a wall behind the door :wink: You can also just add some insulation around / behind the door and will keep things pretty well buttoned up.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been There.....Done That.......

You are only asking for problems by locating the table in a garage where temperature, & especially humidity, will inevitably make you to come to regret ever doing it.

If you have any doubts, just visit and speak with a expert pool table distributor, like a Brunswick dealer or Diamond Tables, and find out firsthand what you're being told.

Even with a brand new table, the manufacturer's warranty can wind up being voided based upon the environmental conditions inherent with a garage location........you can't successfully supervise the heat, cold & humidity like with the other internal rooms of the dwelling.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

Ah, OK. You probably wouldn't want to do that anyway since I can only guess it would hurt the value of the house. The best solution is to either insulate the door or replace it with one that is insulated. Then you should be in pretty good shape. Many of us (myself included) have tables in the garage. My door is insulated. Depending on your climate you might need to use a portable A/C unit to control not just humidity but also temperature.

Notwithstanding, Bavafongoul may have a point in regard to problems with a garage. I live near the beach in Southern California so I've had really none of the issues he mentioned. The conditions in the garage just don't get much different than the house to cause problems.

Let me know if you need more info on putting a table in the garage. I do have some thoughts based on my experience.

Last edited:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member

Ahh I see. I know of several people that have a pool table in a garage and they keep the original door in place but never use it. You should be ok as long as it's insulated well. It's not ideal but it's better than nothing.

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
I say - Grab yourself a decent USED table, and go for it!

I had a pro-8 Brunswick in my garage for about a year (before we moved). The garage door was insulated, so it took the edge off of extreme temps in the space. I mainly played in the evenings, after work, so didn't have to gut it out in the dead of summer during the day. I kept a floor-standing fan in one corner of the garage, and that helped a little, too.

I wouldn't suggest getting a new Diamond table and throwing it in there...but if you can find a nice used Brunswick GC or similiar, have a ball! As long as you're aware of the temp/humidity issues...and willing to sacrifice a bit in order to deal with them...there's nothing quite like having a table at your disposal whenever you want to play.

People do it all the time, and there's no reason why you shouldn't, too! ;)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
What size is the inside of the garage and what size table are you looking to put in? Johnnyt

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just do it ........

I say go for it , somethings better than nothing,, It'll serve its purpose..

A-c for summer months... :wink:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I'm in Florida, and hoping to get a 9 footer. Not sure about the size but its a 2 car garage.

I live in Tampa, FL and have had a Valley out on a screened patio for over 5 years. The humidity is a killer, but I've played so many games on it that all I have to do is look at the meter and see how humd it is and adjust.

Yours will be closed in, and with an A/C and/or a dehumidifier you should be fine. Johnnyt

TrueBlue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It better be an air conditioned garage.

I have a 9' table in my garage. I got lucky and bought the table off someone who was moving for $400. Buy a used table. Mine is pine with 3 pieces of slate...I really got a deal. The only issue I had...and yes I also live in Florida is the felt will expand and contract with changes in temperature. Although I have played in air conditioned pool halls with the same issue. I dont regret buying my table at all. You should go for it!

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9' table in my garage. I got lucky and bought the table off someone who was moving for $400. Buy a used table. Mine is pine with 3 pieces of slate...I really got a deal. The only issue I had...and yes I also live in Florida is the felt will expand and contract with changes in temperature. Although I have played in air conditioned pool halls with the same issue. I dont regret buying my table at all. You should go for it!

Trueblue, I'm also in Tallahassee. Mind me asking how you came across a 9 footer for only $400? Hard to come by around here.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, any table in any condition is better than no table at all at your house. As much as you see replies of "heck no, you can't have a table in a non climate controlled environment" type posts, I would always rather have access to a table at my own home to practice on. Would I be looking to play big money matches on that table ... well, not unless I were you and were used to that table. That doesn't mean having a table in your garage is a bad thing.

Keep the garage door closed, insulate the heck out of that door wall, put in a dehumidifier and vent in some AC. Will it be perfect? Maybe not. Will it be better than sitting at home because you don't feel like driving to the pool hall instead of walking a few feet to practice a couple drills ... you bet it will be!

There is a HUGE difference between asking the forum for optimal conditions versus deciding for yourself what is better or worse for yourself.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Garage floors are sloped so If you are not remodeling you will want to place the table parallel to the garage door if possible.You might be able to get an insulted garage door which still looks like a normal garage door from the outside.