Cue weight question...

StuartK35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard some conflicting opinions on cue weight. I recently bought a Predator Roadline cue which is very, very light. Not sure what the weight is but probably just shy of 18oz....

I'm used to playing with a 18.75 to 19oz cue mostly. This new cue feels amazing and after two weeks I'm shooting well with it. I just won an 8ball qualifier to qualify for regionals and lost in the semifinal in 9ball...point there is I'm shooting well enough with this very light cue to do that after having it for less than two weeks....

So, do most higher level players play with lighter cue? This is what I've heard but someone said to me "man, this cue is just too light" and said I should add weight. Why should I add weight when I shoot well with it? I have weight bolts for it so I decided to add an ounce and half....I did not like it. Took weight bolt out and ran a rack completely out...

So, what's wrong with light?

Thanks

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

Nothing! Especially after you confirmed you play well with that weight.
Dont listen to those other people.

(edit, sorry not an instructor, just heard this many times)

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto on what michael4 said...and I AM an instructor! Play with what feels best to you. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks or says.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Nothing! Especially after you confirmed you play well with that weight.
Dont listen to those other people.

(edit, sorry not an instructor, just heard this many times)

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
Cue Weight

It's great to have supporters for your cause but I think a little perspective from the other side of the coin is always beneficial....so I'll be the Devil's Advocate.

Many people, when playing with a newly acquired cue tend to play better. It's part psychological and part mental. We tend to be optimistic that the "new" will be better so we tend to see the best of traits. Because it is different in feel, balance and weight, we also tend to pay more attention to the details and are more focused on our performance which also brings about better results.

My experience has suggested that most pros play with a cue at least 19 or more ounces. Earl plays with a cue over 23 oz.

I would suggest you play with the cue for a few more weeks and if it still delivers a strong performance, then continue with the lighter weight.

There are some advantages to playing with a little extra weight and I think that's why many pro's like a slighly heavier cue.

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Well,

scott and michael already gave the one and only correct answer-

@Rick: i for example do not know ANY pro who plays a cue with more than 19.5 oz.
But I didn t meet Earl since he played in germany in the early 90 s^^. I m sure you re right with his 23oz 100 inches stick^^. But that s just one guy.

i would say that about 90 % playing with cues between 17.5 and 19,8
and furthermore: just the balance is important-that makes it feel good for you :)

lg from overseas,

Ingo

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard some conflicting opinions on cue weight. I recently bought a Predator Roadline cue which is very, very light. Not sure what the weight is but probably just shy of 18oz....

I'm used to playing with a 18.75 to 19oz cue mostly. This new cue feels amazing and after two weeks I'm shooting well with it. I just won an 8ball qualifier to qualify for regionals and lost in the semifinal in 9ball...point there is I'm shooting well enough with this very light cue to do that after having it for less than two weeks....

So, do most higher level players play with lighter cue? This is what I've heard but someone said to me "man, this cue is just too light" and said I should add weight. Why should I add weight when I shoot well with it? I have weight bolts for it so I decided to add an ounce and half....I did not like it. Took weight bolt out and ran a rack completely out...

Thanks

Stuart, I think this is a great question and I don't know the answer. I have an opinion on this but I can't really say that it's based on fact. Have you thought of posting your question in the 'Ask the Cuemaker' section? I think you should.

If you did, I would definitely go there and read what they have to say on the subject. I think they may share some interesting info on this matter.

StuartK35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stuart, I think this is a great question and I don't know the answer. I have an opinion on this but I can't really say that it's based on fact. Have you thought of posting your question in the 'Ask the Cuemaker' section? I think you should.

If you did, I would definitely go there and read what they have to say on the subject. I think they may share some interesting info on this matter.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in here. I appreciate it. I've always played with a 19 or just under that and always heard that the pro players are at 19 or lighter most of the time. Then I heard that wasn't the case. I was just curious to know what some of you guys had to say on the subject. I also heard that the heavier cues were good for beginning players
for control purposes. I wouldn't put myself in that catergory really as I've been playing the game for a long time.

I do agree that there can be a "honeymoon" period where new cues are concerned. I don't know if that's true in my case but I really do like the feel of this predator with the radial pin. I see myself improving with it daily and I think it should stay consistent. I do have the weights to add so I suppose if it becomes an issue I'll do a trial with the weight in.

I'll keep plugging away! Thanks a lot guys!