AE Schmidt 8' Pool Table - Value?

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello,

My Sister-in-law has sold their house in the Chicago area and wants to sell their 8' AE Schmidt pool table. She asked me what it was worth & I had no idea so I thought I'd ask the experts before listing it for sale. Here's what she emailed me about it:

"It looks closest to a "delta" pool table on the AE Schmidt website. It was bought it in 1999(ish) in Dallas. Paid maybe $5,000-$6,000 for it. It is in better than good shape." She attached the following pictures of it and it looks real nice. (I heard back from AE Schmidt & they thought it looked like their Epic model table in Oak - http://www.aeschmidtbilliards.com/products/238#). (updated 4/12)

Any ideas of its worth in the secondary market? They have to be out of their house by July. If interested, please PM me with offers, but really looking for a realistic value in today's market.

Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• Ann's Pool Table.jpg
    Ann's Pool Table.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 12,326
  • Ann's Pool Table1.jpg
    Ann's Pool Table1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 11,300
  • Ann's Pool Table2.jpg
    Ann's Pool Table2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 11,321
Last edited:

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table looks nice, but I'd be very surprised if you got more than $1500 for it, and I doubt it would sell real quickly for that when you consider what you can get for $1500 in today's market.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The table looks nice, but I'd be very surprised if you got more than $1500 for it, and I doubt it would sell real quickly for that when you consider what you can get for $1500 in today's market.

Thanks for your input.

mechanic/player

Silver Member
I would ask for $2000 obo, it will sell for somewhere between 1-2 k . If someone is shopping for a new table they are aware most name brand tables start at 3 k new, they see your like new table for a better price then a new one and they buy yours and save a little cash.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you Mechanic & Island (I have an emial into AE Schmidt). Any other suggestions?

Dave

JZMechanix

Silver Member
There are literally TONS of these types of tables around for sale on Craigslist. Most of the time people are dieing to get rid of them! Even though they paid $5-6000 for it new, they will be lucky to get more than $1000 for it. Considering you can just about get a brand new 9' Diamond for 6K, its amazing that people pay that much for these furniture style 8' tables. :rolleyes:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
There are literally TONS of these types of tables around for sale on Craigslist. Most of the time people are dieing to get rid of them! Even though they paid $5-6000 for it new, they will be lucky to get more than $1000 for it. Considering you can just about get a brand new 9' Diamond for 6K, its amazing that people pay that much for these furniture style 8' tables. :rolleyes:

Not really, when over 95% of all billiard supplies go to homeowners. Decor is very important to them.

JZMechanix

Silver Member
It's value goes down in spring and it's value goes up the closer you get to Christmas. 2-3ish, or you could call em for and opinion.

Factory:800-325-9676

If they list that table for 2-3 K they will be sitting on it for a loooooong time. :boring2: Too many other tables just like it for sale for under 1K. Trust me.... I've moved and set up "just a few" of these the past 18 years ;)

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I think one of two things can happen. First you may get someone who really doesn't know the value and pay you 1500 to2500 for it. (being an 8 foot table, ironically, in my opinion, this sort of helps you in this scenario).

Secondly, you only run across folks who are aware of prices, and then maybe 750 to 1000. Remember, this has to be disassembled, moved, re-assembled, new cloth, and all this will more than likely require the buyer to hire someone.

With a new table, usually these things are part of the price, along with a warranty. So, it pretty tough to get big bucks for a used table if you have an educated shopper.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd start high if there's time to feel the market. Lowering the price can be done in a flash. Too bad it has to be sold. Schmidt makes a very nice table.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for your input. I will share it with my in-laws and let them decide.

Based on what you've all shared, I will recommend they get the word out to their friends and colleagues that know the quality stuff they buy & start there - maybe they could get $2500-$3000 with the right buyer. If they want me to post this in the For Sale section I will be happy to and probably start at around $2K obo, but I will leave that up to them. I think Craig's list is a last resort at a very low price.

Again, I can't thank you all enough for your help. I will rep all of you :).

Dave

Jim Vondrell

Accu-Level Billiard Svc
Silver Member

I would disagree. There are tons of import tables for sale but not high quality usa made tables for sale. If someone has 2k to spend on a table and they want a leather pocket curved leg table they would be lucky to get this one for 1500 then pay to have it moved. If you compare to what you can get new for 2k.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would disagree. There are tons of import tables for sale but not high quality usa made tables for sale. If someone has 2k to spend on a table and they want a leather pocket curved leg table they would be lucky to get this one for 1500 then pay to have it moved. If you compare to what you can get new for 2k.

I love you :)

I heard back from AE Schmidt and they said it looked like it's an Epic model & it appears to look like oak from the photos. They would not commit to a resale value.

Last edited:

JZMechanix

Silver Member

Jim, you and I know the difference between the cheap imports and the nicer American made tables because we work on both all the time .... However, the average buyer, going on just the looks of the table, is going to find several tables on CL that look very similar to that AE SCHMIDT and will gladly purchase one for 800 before they fork over 1500 - 2500 for the one the OP is selling. The other thing to consider is that the seller lives in Chicago, so they will be competing with an even larger population of used tables than the average size city. More power to them if they get 2K for it, but IMO they will be sitting on it.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jim, you and I know the difference between the cheap imports and the nicer American made tables because we work on both all the time .... However, the average buyer, going on just the looks of the table, is going to find several tables on CL that look very similar to that AE SCHMIDT and will gladly purchase one for 800 before they fork over 1500 - 2500 for the one the OP is selling. The other thing to consider is that the seller lives in Chicago, so they will be competing with an even larger population of used tables than the average size city. More power to them if they get 2K for it, but IMO they will be sitting on it.

Jim & Jack,

Again, thanks for both of your input as you guys do this for a living. Maybe you have potential customers looking for something that you would be willing to pick up the table & deliver/set up? If so, I'll get you in contact w/my in-laws and you guys can negotiate a deal??????? :)

Again, thanks for your insight and help.

Dave

Jim Vondrell

Accu-Level Billiard Svc
Silver Member

If the customer is uninformed I agree. I was just commenting on what you said not what buyers know or don't know. But yes you can buy american heritages all day for 800. And I feel 1500 for the op is fair 2k is to high.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any luck with the sale?

Sorry, I forgot about this thread. It's in the hands of the in laws what they want to do (I emailed the link). I had no PM offers for the table that I would have shared w/them. If they want me to post help sell it, I would post something in the for sale forum.

Thanks for your help. If I learn anything I would be happy to share what they decide to do.

Dave