Optimal Cue Lenght

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
Measuring the distance BETWEEN the grip and bridge hands and adding 10" would dictate that I use a 46" cue (I'm 5'"9" and 90 degrees at address).
Measuring from the FRONT of the bridge hand to the BACK of the grip hand, it would still tell me to use a cue of no more than 53-54 inches in length.

Am I missing something?

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

You are missing nada. That's the lenght you need for a proper balance and stroke. Take it as you want but it's phisics 101. QED.
Chris

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'4, use both a short & long bridge, and play well with a 58" cue using a 29" shaft. I have tried a 30" & 31" shaft and 60" cues, I liked them, but rarely needed the added length. I think a 58, 59, or 60" cue is the optimal length given the players preference.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend John Nemic,the cue maker,is making me cues of every length from 58 up to 63 inches long
i then play with each length and either cut an inch or so from the butt to continue the
experiment or add length to it

i picked up another 60 inch on the way that i really like the way i play,so i know the cue i decide on will be 60 or more for me

i am also doing the same type of thing with tapers on the shaft,i start with super stiff and take a little off until its right

i won't have formulas for other people but i will know what i like

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Only if...

Well Donny, hope you like using a bridge, your going to need it.

:)

Not that often, if I keep control of "whitey"...

But yes, that's the drawback of using shorter cues. I was just saying my 100-year-old shorty plays nicely....though not as well as some of my "standard" cues. I wish I'd have had it years ago when I played on bar boxes with obstacles...

I also like just to look at it...the butt is one of those double butterflies, and has seen LOTS of play. The shaft was broken, but I found an equally old Brunswick curly maple shaft that magically fit just right! There's a pic of it on my new website which should be up and running on Sunday.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor