What is the softest/smoothest type of leather?

ace911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you think is the softest/smoothest type of leather?

I was told Kangaroo and baby goat were.

Any other options?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I will vote for the Kangaroo, I have done 2 so far and they are soooo soft IMO.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Soft or cushy wrap leather is not desired by many. There are, however, several smooth leathers that are just beautiful and they have a firm temper or stiffness to them. I have about 5 different types and they all have variation in degree of sheen and hand (how they feel). For matte black, veg kangaroo and oil tanned water buffalo are hard to beat. Italian calf or French calf are high gloss and semi gloss sheen wraps that look terrific and feel nice on the hand too. There are others. In general, more labor on a smooth wrap versus a textured one--especially one that is glossy. I hope that helps and doesn't confuse you.

Martin

Any other options?

Justlovecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any other options?

I have had both Italian calf and Kangaroo wraps on my cues. Steve Klein put a wonderful piece of Kangaroo on a PJ I had of his. My hands tend to sweat a little and it was perfect. The Roo wrap was also easy to clean and condition. As for the Italian calf, it feels butter soft. Its a very fine piece of leather. Mike Bender put one on the cue he made for me (and currently is my player) and it feels fantastic. You do not want to let the cue go in your shooting hand when you stroke. Mike's wrap work is flawless. The Italian calf is a bit more sensitive than the Roo when you clean and condition it but the result is a beautiful gloss sheen finish. I would recommend Lexol or Zymol leather cleaners and go really 'light' on the cleaner when using. Well! that is my .02 cent worth of experienced info. I hope that helps and good luck getting what you exactly want. Remember! you have only one shooting hand so treat it well!
Take care.

ace911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I talked to one cuemaker the other day, they said kangaroo is soft, but has texture on it. And Italian calf is also soft, maybe not quite as soft, is smooth and slick and has no texture.

Any other thoughts, guys...?

Kenny Koo recommended baby goat, but I never even heard of it before...

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roo is used in high end bike racing suites. It depends on the type of Kangaroo the leather is from and where it is from.
Almost all roo leather is softer than calf and roo leather is very strong.I doubt it will make the cue jump any better, but maybe if you get a better grip it will.
Neil

Guy

Registered
Was over JoeyinCali's and he had a piece of Kangaroo and it was far and away the softest leather I have ever touched. It is going to be beautiful on my new Purpleheart he is working on!

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any other options?

I knew a man who made gloves and his choice was deer. I bought my wife a couple pair of his deer gloves and they were unbelievably soft.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I talked to one cuemaker the other day, they said kangaroo is soft, but has texture on it. And Italian calf is also soft, maybe not quite as soft, is smooth and slick and has no texture.

all the Kangaroo i have had was smooth with no texture at all.it is also very strong,stronger than cow.

i haven't seen baby goat but i have seen baby lamb on a jacket and it is just as soft as kangaroo if not softer and i would imagine that the goat and lamb are the same.

i think anything baby will be texture free.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
The point where strength and softness cross is Kangaroo. It is my choice after Elephant. Kangaroo has no noticeable texture, and it is smooth to the touch.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't they make condoms out of lambskin still, that would have to be some smooth soft leather. ?????????--Leonard

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The softest I have seen is a really good treated calf skin. It takes an experienced leather installer to install them because they are stretchy.

CastilloLeatherGoods

Artisan Crafted Leather
Silver Member
I'd have to agree with the majority of the posts, I think either Kangaroo or Calf is by far some of the nicest and smoothest leathers out there.
I will carry Kangaroo on my website in the near future for those who are interested.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Just take a look at the Nakona Baseball gloves, thats their big selling point that the kangaroo leather is more durable and is softer and more pliable....I've owned some high end cow leather gloves and Nakona kangaroo and the roo is a better material in pliability, longevity, and toughness.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
babies butt. it's just so dammed hard to find. :groucho:

this is the stupidest post I ever made and I know it but I had to do it. it's still smarter than all posts in the political section.