Efren Reyes vs. Jose Parica FOR THE CASH?

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think in a long term gambling match, it would be hard to choose...based on the game, set,etc, I might have to pick JOSE actually. I know a Filipino who is close with both of them, and he says he actually might have to agree with me. I've often heard that Jose is still one of the most intimidating gamblers to this day.

I've always loved JOSE's game. Very simple looking. His stroke isn't all that fancy, but so..so..so effective. If you look at Alex Pagulyan's game it seems as though he has modelled his style after Jose's somewhat. I think Alex is going to be the next Efren. As good as he plays now...can you imagine how good he will be in 10...15 years?...and he plays ALL games at a World Class level.

Some also might have noticed that over the years Efren's stroke HAS simplified. His "pump" action is not nearly what it was 10-15 years ago...and the funny thing is, Efren just keeps getting better and better and better. Amazing.

So, between the two - here are my picks:

9 Ball - Jose Parica (his break is much better)

8 Ball - Flip a coin.....

One Pocket - I know everyone wants to jump on the Efren bandwagon because he has proven himself time and time again in tournaments...but for the long grind, Jose is a bulldog. I might have to pick him gambling.
Tournament match? Jose all the way.

Straight Pool - Efren Reyes - hands down.

Balkline: Efren

Honestly, if the occassion came up where they were really gambling I couldn't gamble against either of them. I just thought this would be a fun topic to get people's opinions. Remember, you are picking for gambling..not for a tournament. In tournament matches I pick Efren for every discipline...but he has always been a better tournament player than Jose.

Alright, let us get this ball rolling.

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like you're contradicting yourself.

Anyway, in terms of breaking I don't see how you think Parica's break is better than Efren's. Efren's break is his (relative) weak point, but it's still better than Parica's.

It's always said that Parica beats Efren gambling, so I'll have to believe that. But the Parica of late isn't playing his old speed, so I imagine that may have changed or will change soon.

Matt_24 said:
Tournament match? Jose all the way.

Remember, you are picking for gambling..not for a tournament. In tournament matches I pick Efren for every discipline...but he has always been a better tournament player than Jose.

Alright, let us get this ball rolling.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they both have benn better than the other at one point.
I wouldn't want my big $ in the middle of them tho;) .