Irish linen grip too slippery

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there something I can do with the Irish linen grip on my new cue to make it less slippery and have more "tack" to it? Thanks.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Is there something I can do with the Irish linen grip on my new cue to make it less slippery and have more "tack" to it? Thanks.

I've always used rough sandpaper.
Rub it very lightly to bring up the nap.
Cue won't look as good but it will sure feel better...
...slippery grips make you hold the cue too firmly.

If you wish to sell the cue later,just get the linen pressed again.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick fix is to rub it with wax paper. That will help a lot.

Alternative is to have the rap replaced with stacked leather or some animal skin.

Linen fix

Rub the linen with the wax side of wax paper. Then burnish it with the smoother side of a brown paper lunchbag. This makes them good as new. May give you the feel you are after.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I gave up on linen years ago due to this...wrapless is best (but not an option for you), but the above-mentioned "leather or some animal skin" is a nice compromise. A lesser-recognized option is to have your linen (if its clean) cleared like the rest of the cue.

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like Irish linen either for this reason and have replaced it with leather on other cues and may end up doing the same with this one.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
I don't like Irish linen either for this reason and have replaced it with leather on other cues and may end up doing the same with this one.

Cork is another good option. Real nice feel and just the right amount of friction.

S

skip

Here it goes, Charmin (freshmates) they are moist wipes. Plus they are great for what they are met for. They work. :wink:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Cork is another good option. Real nice feel and just the right amount of friction.

I have cork on an 86 Joss...like leather it feels good in the winter...
...but not so good when it's humid

linen is like having all-season tires....
...maybe it's cause I have two Irish grandmothers :grin:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I just had a stacked leather wrap put on one of my GB-2's. I really like the feel of the leather. Makes use of a slip stroke a little harder tho.

What I noticed is the because of the extra grip, I really don't have to grip as tight as with the linen or at least, it feels that way. Also, the feel of the hit changed. To me it feels a little more solid now and gives me better feedback on my hit on the CB.

FWIW

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
It may not be the linen that is too slippery, could be a finish. When I had the linen pressed, my local cue repair guy put on a protective finish. I tried the wax trick before having the linen pressed, cue repair guy hated it because it gummed up his tools when he applied the linen press.

Tim-n-NM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with wax paper and also (pressed) linen is also very nice. I know RatCues do some great stuff with wraps. I recomend him without hesitation. Look him up here on AZ

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wtf man this is fkn bullsh*t now. I roughed it up with some course sandpaper and when I went to put it in my bag with cloth covered tubes it stuck in there like velcro and now I can't get it out.....FK !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( lol......

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
wtf man this is fkn bullsh*t now. I roughed it up with some course sandpaper and when I went to put it in my bag with cloth covered tubes it stuck in there like velcro and now I can't get it out.....FK !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( lol......

There's an app for that....
..something by Black and Decker should be able to grind away the case
without harming the cue...
,,uh...you do have a back-up cue?:eek:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Sorry to hear that. Can you take off the bumper? Some bumpers are held on by a screw. Maybe you can use that as an grip to pull it out of the case.