why everyone should learn one pocket

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome ! Gimme a call and lmk when. Might I suggest making sure they have a backer already lined up as I know Bo has been looking for $10-20 games and now I hear Reggie is playing $5??? Lol. I think we can fairly well deduce the probable situation on the whole.

I will ask my wife for 50 and then with your 50, we'll take em off!!!

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will ask my wife for 50 and then with your 50, we'll take em off!!!

Hell yeah! We better anyway with 20 BARRELS!!!😊

One Stroke - your comment earlier made me laugh; definitely sounds just like him - " who needs a trim up tonight??? " 😎

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No.doubt lol!

He and I had lunch several months ago and he didn't look like he was feeling too good that day. I do know though he's still pretty much on the grind as much.as.possible. Like I said, he may not play like he used to do to age but he still plays pretty damn sporty imo. You know Bo's out pretty much everyday until very recently ' giving cheap lessons ". He has to be in his 70's now too - still playing sporty.

Ya Bo was but he's got a nerve problem effecting his arm he's been playing cards lately till they figure the treatment out

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please say HI to both Reggie and Bo for me. I love them both and I would trust either one of them with my life and you could too.

Tom

I sure will Tom and you are correct about those 2 you as well
Stay warm my friend

Mark

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's good to see younger players at the pool hall so eager to learn one pocket. Once they drop their egos and figure out that making a dead-end world beater shot isn't as valuable as moving and positioning several balls at once, they begin to understand the game at a higher level.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's good to see younger players at the pool hall so eager to learn one pocket. Once they drop their egos and figure out that making a dead-end world beater shot isn't as valuable as moving and positioning several balls at once, they begin to understand the game at a higher level.

We are seeing younger players especially the pro's jumping into the game early soon it will be part of being a pro and IMHO it's the game with the biggest upside because of all it's intricacies to me it could very well be our answer to snooker in the USA

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just started playing it in my 58th year of playing pool.
I'm starting to like it.
I've been playing a guy that is my same skill level in pool.
But hes a better one pocket player.
We started out with me getting 9-5.
Then we moved to 9-6.
Now we are going to move to 9-6 when he breaks and 9-7 when i break.
This is after me playing the game six months.
Hopefully soon we will play even.
We only play for $10 a game so its more that i want to beat him then win money.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have three rooms in our senior center association, one is almost exclusively 8 ball and one is almost exclusively one pocket, the other is pretty mich ignored. I play in the one pocket room which also has the only snooker table. We used to be an 8 ball room but have now gone to 1 pocket. Once you start playing you can really get addicted to it.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can give a few reasons not to learn 1p. It ruins relationships and marriages. My wife asked if I Love 1p more than her. I choked and took the 5th.
By learning and playing you will not want to do other things. It ruins your house. I’d rather play 1 than do house repairs. Ruins the lawn. Cut the grass or play 1p... tough choice.

Wow - you said it all right there.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider myself a beginner/student...gradually improving and happy to say it renewed my love/interest in pool. Playing 1P does not get old just gets better
It is a game in a game. Play the opponent not the table. The various aspects...early, mid, end. The cat and mouse. The trap. Return a trap. Bank/kick/carom...look,play for a runout...not one and done. The shot that turns the game around. The concentration and patience.
To play a stronger player and lose is to win... keep playing...keep learning. Play for a few hours the time flies. Play lousy today..come back and play better tomorrow. To describe OnePocket...I'd simply say an amazing and challenging game. It's adrenaline.
Mr. Controlled Aggression Tom has been working with me. The learning process is a great experience. Why everyone should learn one pocket...it's different. It's creative. That corner pocket brings a lot of joy (and pain).

I'm currently playing with a really good 9ball shooter. He's using 1P to help his 9ball game.

Watch the UTube one pocket videos and anticipate what the players are going to do and is it what you would do in their situation. You will learn a lot from the pros.

mrcyr

still learning
love the game! not too many players around here. A friend used to say that it is "chess on a pool table".

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another problem with learning/playing... your name changes. Shoot at a cluster and make a ball you are now Lucky Fk'r.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
My ode to One Pocket....

I think I will make a few more of these short videos when I have time. I have to work on some re-mixing and additional vocals too. When asked which games are great for excersising a 'one pocket' frame of mind, he recommends that you, "...play a lot of chess and carom (3 Cushion and Balkline)."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktq2V9LJ6R0

Last edited:

bluewolfe

while not a strong one hole player, my greatest two games involved break and runs. Having played in all kinds of tourneys, never was I as nervous as those last couple of shots in the rack. But never have I felt so great and such relief when the last one went in. Love it and hate it, depending on how your game is going that day.

arthurbacon

Registered
One Pocket

Of course One Pocket is a wonderful game; just like chess. People who disdain it and say it is as much fun as watching paint dry usually, when queried, do not know anything about One Pocket and are simply addicted to the fast action of Nine Ball.
You can see in any pool room that the players and temperaments are very different between 8 and 9 ball and the 14.1 and One Pocket players. One Pocket is indeed, a profound, strategic game DEMANDING the utmost patience, concentration and calculation. It IS much like chess in its demand for deep thinking. The ONLY reason a person might not like One Pocket is that he/she was not introduced to the game properly and shown the infinite possibilities of banks, kicks, combos, safeties and game-winning set-ups and the exciting possibilities of a run-out. My 12-year-old nephew loves One Pocket so it is definitely not just a game for geriatrics. He also plays a good game of chess. Maybe One Pocket and chess should always be taught together. I know a few older guys who have said repeatedly that they are “bored” with Nine Ball and the pool-pilsner league shenanigans. You think they want to learn a new, exciting game? LOL. Okay, back to the nursing home and Boggle guys. Needless to say, One Pocket is the ULTIMATE “odds” game. Even a world champion has to work hard playing a duffer if the odds are say, something like: 15-3. How do you give odds in 8-ball? Easier in 9-ball but still there will be too much luck for the orangutan to sink the 6,7,8 or 9 for example. But who really cares? Here in Seattle Preacher Ronn has his One Pocket league for “A” players but scoffs at the idea of another league for “B” players. We don’t all want to play pool for/with money we need for mortgage payments, rent, crowns, glasses, food, co-pays and auto repair thank you.

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have come to the conclusion that the game I hated is the one I love and I did myself a disservice not learning it till my mid 50s ,

The game has so many aspects to it that carry over to other games that will improve your play , banking for shape or leave , kicking for safe , holding the cue ball for shape,safe freezing on a ball or in a cluster , stroke speed

It is also easier to match up working a game with a better player to gives you a chance to win but also a chance to learn since its not a break n run contest you will get chances to play
Its a game of imagination its rewarding to see a shot a bank shot a carom off a ball or nipping a ball and going around the table to a safe

The game reminds me of golf once you hit some good shots you see the beauty of the game

totally agree ...

once you really get into it, you become addicted

absolutely the best game of pool