What is it like in the Philipines

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vey different!

I was in the Navy from 1969 to 1973 and our over seas port was Subic Bay. I spent a lot of time there during my 3 West Pac cruises.

The town of Olongapo was next to Subic Bay and it was a sailors dream, if you wanted to drink and spend time with the bar girls. You name, it had it.

A friend of mine and me were in Bagio when Marcos declared martial law so we were "trapped" in a hotel for 5 days. We contacted the brass at Clark Air Base and were told to stay put.

The place was owned by a retired cornel and his lovely wife who was a former Miss Philippines. I think we drank the place dry, my poor liver. We were the only two in the hotel and we were treated very good and had free rooms and food after martial law was declared. We were big tippers and left there broke.

My Uncle was killed there by a Japanese sniper during WWII.

I would love to take my wife there, but doubt I will for the same reason we don't go to Mexico. I feel safe where I live.

I say go by yourself the first time unless you travel and stay with some one you know. I know the place has changed since I was there.

Their current president does not mess around with any one he does not like and deals with them in a brutal fashion.

I enjoyed the Philippine people and in the big scheme of things never had many problems. They are for the most part honest and love to gamble.

They are fierce fighters and don't have a problem letting you know about it if you get stupid. The Philippine people for the most part are a happy bunch. It is a shame the country can't shed it's 3rd world mentality.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Thanks TEAM SLO....Enjoyed the video and think what you did for the people there was very kind and thoughtful..I'm sure you did come back a different person,I was touched just watching the video....I'm sure your kindness will be rewarded to you, in fact I know it already has...Thanks again...:clapping:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in PI for about 3 weeks in 2010 after my divorce. I met up with Jay and Barry Behrman there too!! I got to watch a ton of pool and play a little as well. The food and beer was great and the people I met there even better. All were so nice and outgoing, even considering the third world conditions. I always made sure I had change in my pocket for all the kids running around. Many nights were spent at clubs drinking and listening to live music. I never felt unsafe at all, you just need to be aware at all times and not take anything for granted (kind of like L.A.).

I stayed in Makati in a really nice hotel which included meals, a nice gym, etc. The World Cup of Pool was in Manila and I also visited Subic Bay and a resort up in the mountains. Overall it was a great vacation and I would highly recommend. The people there and there wonderful outlook made it that more special.

Pangit

Banned
My President said it's a shithole...lmao

Your President said it's a ----hole? I doubt he's ever been here.

Someone said the food is awesome. More like atrocious. The P.I. isn't known for it's cuisine. Most people only know of Adobo, balut, or lechon (Baboy/Manok/Carabao). We joke about how hard it is to gain weight here because there is nothing palatable to eat. Try dinuguan. :eek:

The traffic is bad everywhere. Every "hi-way" in the country has a gallon's worth of traffic on a pint sized road. Funeral processions cause gridlock like you have never seen. Jeepneys and buses don't pull off the hi-way to pick up/let off passengers as it's easier to get back in the traffic if you just stay in it. There are no police cars to enforce traffic laws.

Pulubi (Beggars) are everywhere. It's a family tradition for some. Likewise with street vendors. You'll be accosted continuously...best advice is to not make eye contact and just walk on by.
You will be a Kano which = $$$

Brownouts are frequent and unpredictable.

95% of the Police and Politicians are corrupt.

Most rivers and streams have raw sewage and they dump into the sea, choose your beach resort wisely.

I know I've missed a lot, but that's a thumbnail description.

Other than that, you can look at the travel brochures and see it's mostly a lovely country.

Last edited:

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks TEAM SLO....Enjoyed the video and think what you did for the people there was very kind and thoughtful..I'm sure you did come back a different person,I was touched just watching the video....I'm sure your kindness will be rewarded to you, in fact I know it already has...Thanks again...:clapping:

Thank you, some of my coworkers now randomly leave little toys on my desk to take on my next trip. I take lots of pics and give them the ones of the toys they gave me so they can show their kids who the toys went to.

My life is good, filled with great memories and happiness now, I have 2 awesome boys that gave me a whole new purpose. It's time for me to give back when I can. Even my kids give me toys to take as well.

Antfarm

PRAGMATIC PONTIFICATOR
Silver Member
Hot, sticky, dirty and dusty, and known to be very dangerous. I've been there twice. I wouldn't go anywhere near Luzon again. There are a lot of very nice beach resort areas. But, if you are going to check out the pool scene, you won't be talking about there. Manila is not a nice city... not a garden spot.

I won't be going again and I've played pool in 15+ countries at least.

R,

Greg