Larry Nevel quitting pool

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't say I blame him, he said pool is for the young guys who don't have a family and don't mind traveling constantly. Maybe those live feeds are the future. If they can line up more sponsors I can see that catching on and becoming popular. But then, what do I know?

ratnip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best of luck

If I were Larry I'd probably go to a 4-year college instead. By time he gets out hopefully the economy has turned around and he can get him a secure nine to fiver. Then he can still play the top tournaments and weeklys for extra cash.

CNC? of all things he could become. I know of the lifestyle and like previously posted it's alot of hours and nothing too fabulous.

It does sound to me like Larry is maturing and will do an excellent job providing for his family in the future.

But do not fear, like a vampire to blood as a poolplayer is to "action" he'll be back!

Again best of wishes to him.

Jay P

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell you what, working for that 10-20$/ hr is gonna be a real wake-up call. Then another is gonna be having 20-35% skimmed off the top for taxes!

Hope he keeps in mind that it is a long term benefit that he is getting and I wish him the best. I doubt we've seen the end of him in the pool world.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy said:
Steady Job

Benefits

Good Money

Retirement

the THINGS that are NON offered to a Pool player!

This thinking is WAY past it's time. It will keep you broke & looking for your next paycheck, the day that paycheck doesn't come you will lose everything and be living at your parent's or kids house - not much of a future if you ask me.

Razorback Randy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolmouse said:
It's a game. Most people who wasted their time trying to make pool their career were disillusioned.

Poolmouse

Very well put! I was playing a guy the other day who went nuts in the championship game because he missed an easy shot. He is a friend of mine and I told him that IT IS JUST A GAME. He had become so wrapped up in playing that it almost seemed life or death to him at that point. By the way it did cost him the tourney. LOL Then I had to drive him home.

SoonerFan

Registered
There is no reason Larry can't do both!

Get a career that pays the bills and keep playing pool!

When we all wonder why the pros can't make a living playing pool, you just have to ask the question, Where does the Money come from?

In all other sports, there is a huge fan base that spends Millions of dollars on tickets, clothing, etc. If pool had the fan base, then pool would pay millions of dollars to the best players.

It is basic economics!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can't fault Larry

I can't fault Larry for considering other options than pool. Few things have less of a future for the vast majority of would be pro's. Unless he has an end in sight taking CNC programming courses though I'm not sure that this is a good route. More and more the CAD/CAM programs generate most of the code and all that is left is a little clean-up. One NC programmer can do the work that a dozen were needed for during the early days.

Not my cup of tea but probably the best fields are medical related. Folks are getting older and finding new needs for fixing all the time. It seems to be a growth field until we fill up the planet.

Hu

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
I can't fault Larry for considering other options than pool. Few things have less of a future for the vast majority of would be pro's. Unless he has an end in sight taking CNC programming courses though I'm not sure that this is a good route. More and more the CAD/CAM programs generate most of the code and all that is left is a little clean-up. One NC programmer can do the work that a dozen were needed for during the early days.

Not my cup of tea but probably the best fields are medical related. Folks are getting older and finding new needs for fixing all the time. It seems to be a growth field until we fill up the planet.

Hu

Bingo. The medical field always has needs. nurses, techs, lab, and many other positions that you don't needed a zillion hours of college for. He won't get rich but if he works in a big hospital, or better yet for an agency, he will have a endless pool of people to hustle after work. Johnnyt

Jim Kuykendall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
Probably The most powerful stroke in pool-won I think 14 out of the last 27 tounies he entered and still doesnt see a profitable future. He said he is going to school to learn to program CNC machines, Good luck larry or Lairy as they say in Chi town,
A pool player with an eye to the future. What a novelty.

biggame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe he wants to learn cnc so he can make a better pool Q... He is still trying to make Q's right???

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
PlynSets said:
To be great at something, or blend into obscurity in another.

Well if Larry's interested I can get him a job at a CNC shop tomorrow in San Diego. Learning doesn't pay much but the owner of the shop has brought up a few guys that now have their own shops. He could probably offset the low income of the apprenticeship, with tourney's betwen here and L.A.

I gotta be honest though, as a guy that's pretty much spent my whole life in a machine shop in one facet or another.. I really struggle to see a pool player picking this profession and suceeding at it. It's not exactly 9 - 5. If the shop is die hard, or a higher end shop (injection mold making) it's more like 6 - 5, and you work weekends if they let you.

I'm not saying anything about anyones work ethic. I'm just saying that they work a LOT of hours, and with us going into a recession, pay scales are only getting tougher etc..

Personally I do a lot of manual machining / prototyping etc.. I manage a lot of CNC projects that I sub to other shops for certain aerospace clients. As well represent a prototype CNC shop, and a production CNC shop in a sales capacity.

I'll tell a quick story in case Larry is reading just so he knows what he is getting into.

I sent some quotes out for an aerospace project recently. A few of my vendors came in with their standard pricing. What was surprising to me though was how many came in cheap.. and I mean dirt cheap. One vendor literally came in a hair above the price of materials! Things are bad right now, and I only expect them to get worse. Being a lower level guy will not be easy in these times..

DJ

Larry already has some machining experience as a cuemaker. Formal training is all he'd really need to earn some real good money.

As I recall, he does have a strong enough work ethic.

His pool game like anyone else's, with a job, will most certainly suffer. But isn't he and everyone else suffering now?

Not a bad move IMO.

If ever there is a viable pro tour, you'd see him again and a list of 100 great players that have gone by the wayside.

Travis Bickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had to look up CNC to find out what you folks all already know, so I'd just say: Best of luck, Larry, and hope you can find a way to do it and keep those work hours to a minimum so you can keep reasonably sharp playing ... just in case you want to get back in the game.

That post about the hours would be enough to worry me! Heck, there's always the post office. Or ... pharmacy school? That could keep one connected to the pool world, too, I suppose.:smile:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> He might want to keep playing so he can make money while he's in school. It's not an automatic thing,trust me I know,I'm going to school for the same thing.

He won't JUST learn CNC either,he HAS to learn manual machining and other stuff first,unless he already has that training. It doesn't work ANY other way. If you can't cut a 1/2-20 screw on a manual machine any time you feel like it,you sure as HELL can't tell a CNC lathe to do it. Tommy D.

PlynSets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy-D said:
> He might want to keep playing so he can make money while he's in school. It's not an automatic thing,trust me I know,I'm going to school for the same thing.

He won't JUST learn CNC either,he HAS to learn manual machining and other stuff first,unless he already has that training. It doesn't work ANY other way. If you can't cut a 1/2-20 screw on a manual machine any time you feel like it,you sure as HELL can't tell a CNC lathe to do it. Tommy D.

LOL... Just about every CNC machinist I know couldn't run a manual bridgeport, or a lathe. I agree it would make you a better CNC machinist to know how to run manuals, but it's not 100% necesarry.

Just so long as they have their speeds and feed rates handbook, and some idea of fixturing.

Either way I wish Mr. Nevel the best of luck.

DJ

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PlynSets said:
LOL... Just about every CNC machinist I know couldn't run a manual bridgeport, or a lathe. I agree it would make you a better CNC machinist to know how to run manuals, but it's not 100% necesarry.

Just so long as they have their speeds and feed rates handbook, and some idea of fixturing.

Either way I wish Mr. Nevel the best of luck.

DJ
I hope Larry thought this through. The demand for high end cues might go down when the repercussions from the market crash hit.

Poolmouse

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Razorback Randy said:
Does anyone see a way out of this hole?

He could take up poker.

I'd be happy to trade him some poker coaching for some pool coaching!
:) :grin: :wink:

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
BigDaddyInc. said:
Hey larry, Can i have your stroke since you won't be needing it anymore?

As good as his stroke is we could all divide his stroke up equally and be at least a ball or two better....=)

I am sure he will be in action/tourneys from time to time. It is totally depressing to think that someone with this kind of talent doesn't see that he can make it on the poolscene... He just needs a solid backer and a accountant. He is probably just going throguh a bad phase right now and is needing a short timeout.
Hang in there Nevel cause u got what it takes!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I'm not saying that this is the case with Larry, but a BIG percentage of women won't put up with the life of a pro pool player unless he's really making good money. If it's a struggle to make ends meet they don't want any part of it.

I was far from a pro and almost always had a job or a business, and some times both. I treated pool like a part time business, even keeping books on it. I was never home. I am very lucky to still have my wife of over 40 years and my 3 daughters seem to still want me to see me. I try and give as much time as possible to family now. Johnnyt

suprnva

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tigerseye said:
As good as his stroke is we could all divide his stroke up equally and be at least a ball or two better....=)

I am sure he will be in action/tourneys from time to time. It is totally depressing to think that someone with this kind of talent doesn't see that he can make it on the poolscene... He just needs a solid backer and a accountant. He is probably just going throguh a bad phase right now and is needing a short timeout.
Hang in there Nevel cause u got what it takes!

If Danny Harriman would answer my damn PM's, this could happen sooner then later. If anyone can get in touch with Danny, let him know that if he'll negotiate on the format of an all-around he can get action from Larry if he wants it.