Old Pool Table?

Ho11ywood

Registered
I have a old pool table with a brass tag on it that says

Rothchild & Sons
Professional Edison Cushions
Portland, OR Spokane, WN

The only thing I can find about this company is that they were a liquor distributer and they had 5 local bars in the Northwest. And that they were in business from 1899 to 1915.

Does anyone no anything about the table?

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
table

Post a picture of the table in question'. It will help u get answers...if you don't find anything on it here post it in the talk to a mechanic section on here.
-
Rob.M

9-ball B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do know that some companies that worked on tables would take out the original Brunswick,or whatever maker's nameplate,and replace it with their own as advertising. This was very common practice. As the previous post mentions,some pictures of the body,legs,and aprons,will help identify the table. You could also try the Brunswick official site to see pictures of most of the antique models.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I have a old pool table with a brass tag on it that says

Rothchild & Sons
Professional Edison Cushions
Portland, OR Spokane, WN

The only thing I can find about this company is that they were a liquor distributer and they had 5 local bars in the Northwest. And that they were in business from 1899 to 1915.

Does anyone no anything about the table?

I've had a little experience with a Rothchild & Son's billiard table and did a little research at the time.

I found that Rothchild & Sons was primarily a bar fixture company. They made some of the most elaborate back bars in the country. They made some pool tables and billiard tables for this purpose. What really distinguishes them from the rest is that they originated the famous "Monarch Lions Head" design which they used on the billiards tables and some of the other very high class bar furniture. Brunswick liked the design and tried to purchase the design itself but Rothchild wouldn't budge. Brunswick did what a lot of big companies do when they don't get their way. They bought out Rothchild & Sons and used the "Monarch" as their "flagship design" and even named their gum rubber cushions after the "Monarch" which is why a lot of people think they have a "monarch" pool table when the name plate says "Monarch Cushions". The true "Monarch" pool tables were the ones with the lions head leg design, which was all cast iron. It is rumored that Andy Griffith, the actor, purchased an antique
9 FT Brunswick Monarch pool table for his home for a mere $100K. It is probably the most desirable antique pool table there is.

If your table is one of the ones Rothchild made with the cast iron lions head leg system, you have a hell of a piece! I sold a 10ft billiard table to Champion Billiards back in the mid '80's for $30k for a (at the time) friend who stiffed me on the 10% commission he promised. His name is Ron Kollman, a real POS who later stole a pool room from another (at the time) friend when he got in a little trouble and had to go on a vacation for a while.

Ho11ywood

Registered
I've had a little experience with a Rothchild & Son's billiard table and did a little research at the time.

I found that Rothchild & Sons was primarily a bar fixture company. They made some of the most elaborate back bars in the country. They made some pool tables and billiard tables for this purpose. What really distinguishes them from the rest is that they originated the famous "Monarch Lions Head" design which they used on the billiards tables and some of the other very high class bar furniture. Brunswick liked the design and tried to purchase the design itself but Rothchild wouldn't budge. Brunswick did what a lot of big companies do when they don't get their way. They bought out Rothchild & Sons and used the "Monarch" as their "flagship design" and even named their gum rubber cushions after the "Monarch" which is why a lot of people think they have a "monarch" pool table when the name plate says "Monarch Cushions". The true "Monarch" pool tables were the ones with the lions head leg design, which was all cast iron. It is rumored that Andy Griffith, the actor, purchased an antique
9 FT Brunswick Monarch pool table for his home for a mere $100K. It is probably the most desirable antique pool table there is.

If your table is one of the ones Rothchild made with the cast iron lions head leg system, you have a hell of a piece! I sold a 10ft billiard table to Champion Billiards back in the mid '80's for $30k for a (at the time) friend who stiffed me on the 10% commission he promised. His name is Ron Kollman, a real POS who later stole a pool room from another (at the time) friend when he got in a little trouble and had to go on a vacation for a while.

Thanks for the info. My table is not one of those tables but it looks very simular to a Brunswick Newport. The leg designs are the same and the base is the same without some of the trim. Thank you again for this info it helps a lot.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info. My table is not one of those tables but it looks very simular to a Brunswick Newport. The leg designs are the same and the base is the same without some of the trim. Thank you again for this info it helps a lot.

if you don't mind doing it, I'd love to see a pic of the nameplate :smile:

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
if you don't mind doing it, I'd love to see a pic of the nameplate :smile:

He emailed me a pic of the nameplate because he didn't know how to upload it to the thread. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind me posting it. If he does he can contact me and I'll gladly take it down.

Attachments

• 2010-06-07 16.03.34.jpg
    2010-06-07 16.03.34.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,648

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
sweet. thanks. its in pretty nice condition too....

I also discovered that a couple of the Brunswicks actually married a couple of the Rothchilds. not surprising I guess..

Ho11ywood

Registered
He emailed me a pic of the nameplate because he didn't know how to upload it to the thread. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind me posting it. If he does he can contact me and I'll gladly take it down.
Thanks for posting the picture. Once I get the table put back together I will post some more pics. With the table I also recieved a Brunswick Balke Collender wall mounted cue rack and some really old balls and also a few books one of which Willie Mosconi has signed. Pretty cool.