Club Membership

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Mike,
I like the idea; but those larger avatars are eating up a lot of space per page. Fewer posts per page makes the site definitely a bit less user-friendly.

In addition, the larger avatars stick out like a sore thumb when browsing the forum at our work computers. As some of them are somewhat risque', this is more of a problem. I have always enjoyed the avatars, but maybe I should investigate the "avatars off" option that I have heard about (I have no idea how to accomplish this).

Would there be a way to join the club, but keep my old size header???

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Mike,
I like the idea; but those larger avatars are eating up a lot of space per page. Fewer posts per page makes the site definitely a bit less user-friendly.

In addition, the larger avatars stick out like a sore thumb when browsing the forum at our work computers. As some of them are somewhat risque', this is more of a problem. I have always enjoyed the avatars, but maybe I should investigate the "avatars off" option that I have heard about (I have no idea how to accomplish this).

Would there be a way to join the club, but keep my old size header???

Got to user cp/options. I just changed mine. It does take away from the user experience to have avatars off, but it is better than those big avatars.

BPG24

Banned
All you guys have to do is adjust your monitor resolutions. They are probably on 800x600 which is low quality and HUGE graphics. Send them up 1 or 2 notches, it will fix your issues with the Avatar.

As I said before, I am happy to help support the site.
The huge Avatar was the deciding factor on me joining. Please don't remove them. :)

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
BPG24 said:
All you guys have to do is adjust your monitor resolutions. They are probably on 800x600 which is low quality and HUGE graphics. Send them up 1 or 2 notches, it will fix your issues with the Avatar.

The huge Avatar was the deciding factor on me joining. Please don't remove them. :)

Sorry, I'm already at 11xx by 8xx. I can't go any smaller than that and still read my editor. I have to read my editor when programming which is how I make my living. So avatars off and I shut off the signatures while I was in there too.

Irish634

Whatever
Silver Member
catscradle said:
Sorry, I'm already at 11xx by 8xx. I can't go any smaller than that and still read my editor. I have to read my editor when programming which is how I make my living. So avatars off and I shut off the signatures while I was in there too.

Me too. I am on 1280 x 1024 and when BGs avatar is up all I see is a woman's arse taking up half the area where the text used to be.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
catscradle said:
Got to user cp/options. I just changed mine. It does take away from the user experience to have avatars off, but it is better than those big avatars.

CC,
Many thanks. Avatars are off; I'll miss them a bit.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Mike,

I too have a question. Were you hanging out with my great pal Freddy in his cue ball tent at the Derby? :D

Also, as much as I love this site, I too am willing to pay the same as a subscription to Billiards Digest because I'm on here more than anywhere else.

The one problem is, even though I can work my way around an internet, I still don't know how to do payments over a computer & my wife, even though she is blonde, is a super-genius with finance. So when she comes home later tonight, she'll be able to figure it out for me. I'm stubborn about no more technology for me. Enough is enough already. I still have never had a MAC card and I don't have any idea how to program a VCR or even send a text in a cell phone. I miss the good old days of pen, paper, envelope & stamp. And a check!:)

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
PS- What is V-cash and what does it do? Can we really use it to bet on pool matches somewhere on this site?

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BPG24 said:

make every avatar the small (regular/old) size except for this one....

-Ross
would drink her bath water...

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
BPG24 said:

and there might be the first issue with this whole setup ....
BP..folks are gonna moan about you avatar...it is a given... now you are gonna have to change it or they will have to turn off their avatars....leaving one of you out $35.... b/c when you get down to it , the only thing you really get with that payment is a bigger pic..................:confused:

BPG24

Banned
smokeandapancak said:
and there might be the first issue with this whole setup ....
BP..folks are gonna moan about you avatar...it is a given... now you are gonna have to change it or they will have to turn off their avatars....leaving one of you out $35.... b/c when you get down to it , the only thing you really get with that payment is a bigger pic..................:confused:

I have had 10-15 people tell me how much they like it already. There was even a thread started about it.

It's no more offensive than the MANY other pics of girls in bikinis. Besides if there is a pic worth blowing up, it's this one. :)

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BPG24 said:
It's no more offensive than the MANY other pics of girls in bikinis. Besides if there is a pic worth blowing up, it's this one. :)
hell, I'd also like to see the bigger one of your last avatar... :p

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
Haven't ever bothered with an avatar and probably still won't now but glad to support the site:)

Irish634

Whatever
Silver Member
BPG24 said:

I didn't mean to imply that it was offensive. Hope you didn't take it that way. I just used yours as an example. It might be offensive to some, but I personally don't really care one way or the other.

Just as other members have stated they dislike it when someone posts a pic that makes you scroll horizontally to read a post, I was only stating that I had a dislike to read a scrunched up post that don't have to with regular size avatars or none at all.

As much as I like to see everyone's avatar, the bigger ones are just more of an annoyance for me personally.So I chose to turn them off. I'm glad some of you like them.

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
Design from hell...

I can't believe how butt ugly that club member banner is -- a yellow banner next to a nine ball with a different yellow color, sprinkled with some unrelated fonts... all jammed up next to the green rep-points!

Yehoo -- the perfect example of aesthetics from hell. Now, excuse me while I go'n barf.

-- peer

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Willibetmore expressed most of my worries already. Big avatars are nice when they don't stick out. Less posts per page is also a price to be paid for it, and probably not really worth.

I would like to help supporting AZ though, and I have a question, what is regular drawings? (since I don't need any of benefits offered) Is that picking somebody to receive goodies in a sort of lottery?

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I enjoy seeing peoples avatars, but have to agree with some of the others here that they are just too large now. It scrunches up the text too much.

Another common problem, especially in the for sale section, is that when someone posts a large photo if forces you to have to scroll back and forth left to right to read every line in every post. With these large avatars, it will happen even more often by making even smaller photos cause the same problem.

As much as I hate to do it, I may also be forced to turn off the avatars. If the larger avatar size is causing many people to turn them off completely, it defeats the purpose and benefit of having them larger to begin with. It appears that it will drive many people to not see them at all.

Maybe the best solution is to allow the avatar heigth to be increased 100%, but allow no width increase or possibly a 10% increase in width. On a side note, the names are much better in the blue than the red.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is the aviatar jumbo by default? or a matter of preferance. ie, can they chose not to have a huge av?