The Rack in Detroit

wincardona

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You had to be there to believe the stories

I played millions of dollors worth of pool at the rack, I didn' stutter, millions. I personally witnessed at least 50 million dollors of pool that was played at The Rack formerly known as Capitol Billiards. The Rack was a reason to get out of bed and not fall asleep, never,you just didn't want to miss any of the action. I played $10,000 & $20,000 a game MANY times, there were nits playing $1,000 a game regularly. Forget about it, there will never, never be another pool room close to The Rack. In retrospect as I look back The Rack was unparalleled, unsurpassed, matchless, beyond compare, it was actually beyond belief period..

This just wasn't a short lived action room, The Rack went on like this for years, it was like dying and waking up in heaven. There were at least 10 huge gamblers that came into The Rack daily.

Pittsburgh John ran $500 into over $300,000 in less than two weeks. He beat Jew Paul Brusloff out of most of the money. The first time he staked me to play Jew Paul I beat him for $50,000 playing one pocket on the snooker table, playing him 8/7. Jew Paul trapped himself with that game. About 6 months prior to me beating him I played him for my own money (cheap) $500 a game, he beat me for $2,000 and bragged about how inexperienced I was and how bad of a game I had. Matter of fact he use to take me to breakfast and tell me that he liked me and why I couldn't beat him, I played his game with him and pretended that I was in awe of him and agreed. Six months later he weighed $50,000.

There were better men than Jew Paul that came into The Rack, men like Jones, big black D---e dealer, he played for $10,000 a game and up.He loved to stake players, particularly black players, Marvin Henderson, Kenny Romberg, Cecil Tugwell, Country, but Country had his own money and bet it himself. Country was one of the smartest pool players ever in life,he never lost for big money,we never played. (I wonder why) Country played Jew Paul one evening and won $500,000. Everyone in the pool room was betting on Country. Jew Paul badly wanted to beat Country,( ego thing)but it never happened. It took Paul several weeks to pay the money,I think most of it got payed. After that session Jew Paul took off a lot of time but was back in action about a month later,just like nothing ever happened.

Al Sherman was another great man ( ask Freddy) smartest conn man on earth,huge money earner in everything but pool. He played worse than anyone that I have ever seen that played for $1,000's, $1,000's he played for 10 and 20 thousand a game. Another guy who would lose two or three hundred thousand on a bad day. Al loved to play one pocket but didn't know the game well,so he would hire a coach and gamble high, he loved to shoot at his pocket, but his coach at the time was Paul Jones, Paul wouldn't let Al shoot at his pocket, but Al was stuck a lot of money and wanted to shoot at his pocket so he fired him in the middle of the game so he could shoot at his pocket. True story.

There are 100's of stories about The Rack, but you really had to be there to believe them.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
This may be in bad taste, but, here goes.

Whitey was one of the most disgusting people I ever met.

He had this pickup truck with a camper on it and left a light on in Denver and I voluteere to give him a jump.

When we got to the truck and he opened that camper, I near puked right there. There were like 4 dogs in there and it smelled as if they hadn't been outside in a month. That was near 40 years ago and I remember that like yesterday.

I saw him take the sickest bet I ever heard of and collect. I may tell it later, but can't think of a way to tell it right now. I mean Sick.

You mean where he bet his kids? I heard that one too.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
wincardona said:
I played millions of dollors worth of pool at the rack, I didn' stutter, millions. I personally witnessed at least 50 million dollors of pool that was played at The Rack formerly known as Capitol Billiards. The Rack was a reason to get out of bed and not fall asleep, never,you just didn't want to miss any of the action. I played $10,000 & $20,000 a game MANY times, there were nits playing $1,000 a game regularly. Forget about it, there will never, never be another pool room close to The Rack. In retrospect as I look back The Rack was unparalleled, unsurpassed, matchless, beyond compare, it was actually beyond belief period..

This just wasn't a short lived action room, The Rack went on like this for years, it was like dying and waking up in heaven. There were at least 10 huge gamblers that came into The Rack daily.

Pittsburgh John ran $500 into over $300,000 in less than two weeks. He beat Jew Paul Brusloff out of most of the money. The first time he staked me to play Jew Paul I beat him for $50,000 playing one pocket on the snooker table, playing him 8/7. Jew Paul trapped himself with that game. About 6 months prior to me beating him I played him for my own money (cheap) $500 a game, he beat me for $2,000 and bragged about how inexperienced I was and how bad of a game I had. Matter of fact he use to take me to breakfast and tell me that he liked me and why I couldn't beat him, I played his game with him and pretended that I was in awe of him and agreed. Six months later he weighed $50,000.

There were better men than Jew Paul that came into The Rack, men like Jones, big black D---e dealer, he played for $10,000 a game and up.He loved to stake players, particularly black players, Marvin Henderson, Kenny Romberg, Cecil Tugwell, Country, but Country had his own money and bet it himself. Country was one of the smartest pool players ever in life,he never lost for big money,we never played. (I wonder why) Country played Jew Paul one evening and won $500,000. Everyone in the pool room was betting on Country. Jew Paul badly wanted to beat Country,( ego thing)but it never happened. It took Paul several weeks to pay the money,I think most of it got payed. After that session Jew Paul took off a lot of time but was back in action about a month later,just like nothing ever happened.

Al Sherman was another great man ( ask Freddy) smartest conn man on earth,huge money earner in everything but pool. He played worse than anyone that I have ever seen that played for $1,000's, $1,000's he played for 10 and 20 thousand a game. Another guy who would lose two or three hundred thousand on a bad day. Al loved to play one pocket but didn't know the game well,so he would hire a coach and gamble high, he loved to shoot at his pocket, but his coach at the time was Paul Jones, Paul wouldn't let Al shoot at his pocket, but Al was stuck a lot of money and wanted to shoot at his pocket so he fired him in the middle of the game so he could shoot at his pocket. True story.

There are 100's of stories about The Rack, but you really had to be there to believe them.

Great stuff here and all true. I was only in the rack twice in my life. I tried to bet $100 a game on the side and got laughed at. Al Sherman said, "Kid, the minimum bet in here is $500."

You did have to know someone to get in. The first time I went, they wouldn't let me in, until Cornbread took a break from his game and walked over to the door. He looked at me through the peephole and said, "He''s okay, let him in."

The second time I went in with Jimmy Reid and he was playing some black pimp $500 a game 9-Ball and I had half. Jimmy was only giving him the 5,7 and the break. I was sweating bullets but Jimmy took it off. Jimmy won over 100K that trip, and drove back to L.A. in the most beautiful Caddy convertible you ever saw.

I ran into Piona after he beat someone for $40,000 at the rack. He told me it was the most money he ever had in his life and he was a 40 year old man then. He told me he went to sleep in the motel room with the money all spread out on the bed. He slept with it.

I remember Watson a black dude who would rack the balls just to get a nice tip from the winner. I come back a year later and he is dressed to the nines. What happened to Watson I ask? Oh he's a millionaire now I'm told. He won a million dollars in cash during the time I was away.

Cornbread made untold millions in his years at the Rack. I often wondered what happened to all that loot. I would never ask Red about money, just not cool. He never loaned money to the best of my knowledge, but he really liked me, especially after I wrote a story about him. When he won all that money in Vegas, I saw him the next day. I told him how cool it was that he bought clothes for all those guys, and he tried to hand me $500 to buy some clothes. He still had a huge stack in his pockets. I turned him down. I was too proud to take a loan from anyone, and I had money of my own. I let him buy me breakfast. True Story! :smile:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Great stuff here and all true. I was only in the rack twice in my life. I tried to bet $100 a game on the side and got laughed at. Al Sherman said, "Kid, the minimum bet in here is $500."

You did have to know someone to get in. The first time I went, they wouldn't let me in, until Cornbread took a break from his game and walked over to the door. He looked at me through the peephole and said, "He''s okay, let him in."

The second time I went in with Jimmy Reid and he was playing some black pimp $500 a game 9-Ball and I had half. Jimmy was only giving him the 5,7 and the break. I was sweating bullets but Jimmy took it off. Jimmy won over 100K that trip, and drove back to L.A. in the most beautiful Caddy convertible you ever saw.

I ran into Piona after he beat someone for $40,000 at the rack. He told me it was the most money he ever had in his life and he was a 40 year old man then. He told me he went to sleep in the motel room with the money all spread out on the bed. He slept with it.

I remember Watson a black dude who would rack the balls just to get a nice tip from the winner. I come back a year later and he is dressed to the nines. What happened to Watson I ask? Oh he's a millionaire now I'm told. He won a million dollars in cash during the time I was away.

Cornbread made untold millions in his years at the Rack. I often wondered what happened to all that loot. I would never ask Red about money, just not cool. He never loaned money to the best of my knowledge, but he really liked me, especially after I wrote a story about him. When he won all that money in Vegas, I saw him the next day. I told him how cool it was that he bought clothes for all those guys, and he tried to hand me $500 to buy some clothes. He still had a huge stack in his pockets. I turned him down. I was too proud to take a loan from anyone, and I had money of my own. I let him buy me breakfast. True Story! :smile:

Is this the time Cornbread and Wade won all that money at the crap table?

I was just a kid and it weems as soon as it was done, Wade went straight to the airport and got the hell out of there.

Jay, I got ot tell ya, I have a pretty good memory myself, but your long term memory is like a steel trap.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Broke Whitey

SJDinPHX said:
I am sure Ironman is refering to Whitey's wager involving one of his female dogs genetalia. It is the most disgusting thing you can imagine.
Whitey was, without a doubt, the crudest human being I've ever met.
I have a story about him and Canadian Pete that I will share someday.
It is worthy of the Beard's War stories column. If he had done to me, what he did to Pete, he would have met his demise much earlier. He was a man with absolutely NO scruples.

Dick

PS. Whitey could give Jack Taylor the 5 out and the break for treachery. And Jack played that game real well.

Dick, I must have the Canadian Pete story because Pete and Tommy the Sailor came and stayed in Bensinger's immediately after their tour with Whitey. Whitey turned out Pete and Tommy the Sailor Kramer around the same time. I heard a story about Tommy and the spaghetti sauce, is that it? If its too horrible to post at least PM or email me with it.

Here are a couple of many Whitey stories. These are out of my book, The GosPool. In the book I had to say things I knew to be true as, "I heard," and "It was rumored."
When he went broke, Whitey and his dog, a German Shepherd named Windy, used to go out begging together. Whitey would wear dark glasses and brandish a tin cup. "It was rumored" he sold his two kids to black-marketeers to raise money to play another pool session

Detroit Whitey and Windy: Windy would lay down under the pool table when Whitey was playing. When Whitey gave him the "office," Windy would snarl, growl, and sometimes fart just as Whitey's opponent would go to shoot.

As candid as my book was, I have many more Whitey stories that I couldnt put in the book.

the Beard

Last edited:

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Whitey's protege's Pete and Tommy

freddy the beard said:
Dick, I must have the Canadian Pete story because Pete and Tommy the Sailor came and stayed in Bensinger's immediately after their tour with Whitey. Whitey turned out Pete and Tommy the Sailor Kramer around the same time. I heard a story about Tommy and the spaghetti sauce, is that it? If its too horrible to post at least PM or email me with it.

Here are a couple of many Whitey stories. These are out of my book, The GosPool. In the book I had to say things I knew to be true as, "I heard," and "It was rumored."
When he went broke, Whitey and his dog, a German Shepherd named Windy, used to go out begging together. Whitey would wear dark glasses and brandish a tin cup. It was rumored he sold his two kids to black-marketeers to raise money to play another pool session

Detroit Whitey and Windy: Windy would lay down under the pool table when Whitey was playing. When Whitey gave him the "office," Windy would snarl, growl, and sometimes fart just as Whitey's opponent would go to shoot.

As candid as my book was, I have many more Whitey stories that I couldnt put in the book.

the Beard

More excerpts:
Laziest Pool Hustler:"Canadian Pete" Tasic, a prodigy of Detroit Whitey. In the gambling bars, he used to act like he had money, and wanted to play, so that the "Jar" hustlers would buy him a few free beers in order to spike them with scopolomine. He didn't mind, and rather enjoyed the high.
He could play, however.
Canadian Pete once got woke up off the bench after an all-night drunk. John the Greek gave him one $20 barrel to play Nine-ball against Jim Rempe. He played Rempe to a three hour draw. Rempe asked me, "Who is this guy?"

Tommy The Sailor Kramer. He was so brutal and disgusting, that no less a distinguished figure than Detroit Whitey called him Tommy the Toilet.

the Beard

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
This is the best thread on AZB right now. I'm DYING to hear more Rack stories. I hope you guys keep them coming. The Rack was before my time - I'm trying to live vicariously through you guys - keep talking....

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
two tables at 15k ea

macneilb said:
anyone got anything else?:thumbup:

I was in there one night and Jew Paul was playing CornBread 1pkt on the snooker table for 15k a game. On the very next snooker table, Al Sherman was playing Jerry Bulldog Howard 1pkt, also for 15k a game.

the Beard

FSutton

Full Rack Banks only!
Silver Member
So who owned The Rack and why did it end up closing. Trouble with the law for all the action? Hell how do you even attract that kind of action to your room. Just a case of all the right elements I guess that or it was a bunch of criminals and mob types mixed with charlatans and con men

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
The raid at the Rack

The joint got raided one night. I missed that one. They collected an incredible amount of cash, which was eventually returned. One broken down looking old man had 100k cash on him. The police couldnt believe someone that looked that shabby could have that kind of cheese in his pocket. It turned out he owned the building that the police station was in.

That's the same night that CornBread told Bugs in the lockup, "Let's see you bank your way out of this trap, Bugs!"

the Beard

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FSutton said:
So who owned The Rack and why did it end up closing. Trouble with the law for all the action? Hell how do you even attract that kind of action to your room. Just a case of all the right elements I guess that or it was a bunch of criminals and mob types mixed with charlatans and con men

You name them, they were there.

Danny Medina and I were walking into Hard Times around 2 AM just as Ronnie Allen was walking out. He looked at us and said, " what the hell are you two doing this time of night?" we replied, " just checking things out". Ronnie snaps back " get the hell outta here boys, the only people out this time of night are Gypsies, whores, and thievs!" We laughed about that for weeks.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
If Billy Incardona ever writes a book, I nominate him to do the full story or however much he remembers about the Rack.

Hell, I'd read Billy's book even if it didn't talk about the Rack.

Uh...I'm not so interested in the screwing the pooch type stories. Blech.

FSutton

Full Rack Banks only!
Silver Member
Yeah please bring them on. I wish someone would just write a book about the great pool rooms like The Rack and the 7-11.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just to keep this thread alive...

I had the pleasure of watched Billy Incardona practice on a snooker table at the Rack in the early 70s. Wow! He was cutting the ball down the rail (about 2-3 diamonds away from the corner pocket) at very high speeds and making the shot most of the time. Also, I seem to remeber watching him make a cross corner bank on the same table 3 times in a row where the object ball was about 1/2 diamond from the corner pocket on the long rail. The amazing thing is, he hit it at warped speed and it looked as thought the object ball would get airborn to avoid the round part of the cushion in the opposite corner pocket and just fly into the pocket.

At least that's my memory of it. Billy, was I seeing things or did you do it as described?

Whatever, Billy was a trip to watch back then, he was solid as a rock at the table and deadly accurate.

Dave

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a great rack story told to me by phil hubbard ( money man around beanie's place ) was about calhoun ( earl kellaher -- spell check.lol )
houn beat jew paul out of over 100k in a week in the 70's at the rack. he bought a new conversion van and drove it to the pool room every day from the hotel. he comes out 1 nite and cant find the van. the next day he shows up at the rack and phil says... did you find the van...naw says houn got tired of lookin ...bought a new one!!....that was the houn

JPB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
No, I heard about that one too though. This is one about his own genetalia.

He laid it out on the billiard table at the old Fun Center in Denver and allowed a guy to smack it with a billiard ball,,,,,,,for $10.00. My skin crawls thinking about that event.

The next day he was in there playing Fat Marty {Martin Kaman} one pocket.

I read this and almost had to go wash my hands. I know they recovered the table after the incident and before I ever played on it, and the table is now gone, but still. Pass the bleach please.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Request from Punter

Got a PM request from Punter about confirmation of a Rack story. There was this ex-pug, Jimmy, that used to hang in the Rack. He was brutally obnoxious. He stuck his nose in everybody's business. Finally one of the mob guys ordered a hit, just to rid him out of the joint. He was an old man but he was pretty tough. He got grabbed, beaten to a pulp and thrown in a dumpster. Lo and behold. a few days later he shows back up like nothing happened. The mobsters gave up on him after that.
That's the same guy that Popcorn Miller had a problem with. Even after the dumpster incident this guy didn't slow his act down. He was interfering in Popcorn's game and the Corn warned him to stop. Jimmy paid no heed. The next day Corn came into the pool room with a cue ball in a sock. He went up to Jimmy and conked him with it. He still stayed a pest, but he at least stayed away from the Corn's games after that.
Philly's Joel Marx also took Jimmy outside and gave him a strumming.
I wasn't there for the dumpster incident, I just heard, so there is probably more to that story, but I did attend Popcorn and Joel's events.

the Beard

My DVD will be in my hands this week. (Banking With The Beard--The Movie)
Yes, I do tell old war stories on it.