Pool Maxims...

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Tramp, you're tough. Fair, but tough. Ever thought of being a moderator here?:wink:
BTW that Mattana bloke made a mini list. Two maxims. Maybe you can let him off with a warning, he does a lot for pool. :cool:

My maxim:
Learn where center ball will get you before you even think about spinning the ball.

You're absolutely right, Sloppy.
Okay, new rule. Two maxims, max.
Anymore than that and you're banned for five minutes. :smile:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A good stroke is like water coming out of a hose.

...uh, I'm allowed two?

Never gamble with a man named after a State....

....or a ship

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one I hate the most on league night. Misses shot and sticks you. Completely unintentional.
"GOOD LEAVE"

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
Draw for show, follow for dough!

(Not that I particularly think that way, but it's catchy. I do think it's harder to land right with follow than with draw - for me anyway.)

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based upon personal experiance:

Doesn't make any difference how hard or soft you hit it, it will still end up on the rail

or so it seems;)

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
One I made (though probably someone has said something similar, in dfiferent words).

The right shot is the right shot, even if you miss it.

(and conversely: The wrong shot is the wrong shot even if you make it).

Basically, play the percentages and don't think just because you missed the shot,
it was the wrong shot to take. Don't be that guy who misses and immediately stands up and says
"I shoulda shot this other thing instead". Sometimes the right shot is not the easiest one
to make, or the right shot is just one option out of several missable shots.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
One I made (though probably someone has said something similar, in dfiferent words).

The right shot is the right shot, even if you miss it.

(and conversely: The wrong shot is the wrong shot even if you make it).

Basically, play the percentages and don't think just because you missed the shot,
it was the wrong shot to take. Don't be that guy who misses and immediately stands up and says
"I shoulda shot this other thing instead". Sometimes the right shot is not the easiest one
to make, or your the right shot is just one option out of several missable shots.

Good one.

I could not make my new friend understand what you're saying here before he passed away. It does not always have to be percentage based. Sometimes, actually many times the more or even very difficult shot is the 'right shot' given the point & time in a game. Many times shooting the 'right shot' at the right time will win you the game even if you mis the shot. I could not make my new old friend understand this aspect. He'd shoot the easier 'wrong' shot that he was nearly certain to make & lose when he had no real shot a shot or two later.

Again, a good one.

Best Wishes,
Rick

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Draw for show, follow for dough!

(Not that I particularly think that way, but it's catchy. I do think it's harder to land right with follow than with draw - for me anyway.)

That's a great saying and there's definitely a reason it exists :)
I never met anyone who drew more precisely than they followed in terms of speed and direction.
If you have a practice table try this... line up a perfectly straight in shot as shown and hit with
follow 10 times, trying to sink the ball and scratch in the same corner pocket.

Then repeat with draw, trying to scratch in the corner nearest you.
I can almost guarantee you'll succeed more with the first drill than the second.

Y3rHb0g.jpg

I think the reason for this is that follow requires more force to go the same distance, since the friction
from the cloth fights you. More force usually means less accuracy. And it's less forgiving of a little accidental sidespin.