JUMP CUE REVIEW: Steve Lomax

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Steve Lomax has been after me for quite a long time to try out his line of jump cues and I have declined his generous offer for some time, partially because I always seem to have one or two jump cues that I was satisfied with.

Recently, I had difficulty jumping the heavier bar table cue ball and was in search of another jump cue. After a couple of telephone conversations, Steve sent me one of his unique jump cues. I didn't want a break/jump cue and so he sent me a jump cue to test out.

The jump cue that he sent, matches my POW-MIA Bender playing cue's rings and I have been practicing with it for a few days now.

Buffalo Billiards had a table that is waiting to be covered so I practiced off and one for the past couple of days.

Immediately upon using the Lomax jump cue, I knew that it was capable of jumping far better than my other jump cues, ESPECIALLY heavier cue balls. I always thought that my "light" jump cue was superior for "dart stroking/jumping" and that just isn't so. Steve's jump cue comes in three pieces and I can jump most shots with the traditional method of jumping using just two pieces of the jump cue, leaving off the last part. If I have a super long distance jump shot, I add the third piece and it definitely helps with accuracy on the longer shot.

On shots where the cue ball is close to an impeding object ball, I can use the first two pieces and dart stroke exceptionally well.

Also on medium distance shots, I can use the same first two pieces of the jump cue with incredible accuracy.

There is NO DOUBT that my jumping ability has increased significantly. I no long jump hoping to hit the object ball. Now, I am expecting to make the object ball on EVERY shot. The truth is that I don't make every jump shot but I am so much better at jumping than I formerly was that is is a joke that I waited this long to try out Steve Lomax's signature jump cues.

Eventually, even a hard-head like me will try something new when it is offered to him.

I guess it's better late than never. :eek:

BigDogatLarge

Da pool gods are laughin'
Silver Member
Nice words...

Steve Lomax has been after me for quite a long time to try out his line of jump cues and I have declined his generous offer for some time, partially because I always seem to have one or two jump cues that I was satisfied with.

Recently, I had difficulty jumping the heavier bar table cue ball and was in search of another jump cue. After a couple of telephone conversations, Steve sent me one of his unique jump cues. I didn't want a break/jump cue and so he sent me a jump cue to test out.

The jump cue that he sent, matches my POW-MIA Bender playing cue's rings and I have been practicing with it for a few days now.

Buffalo Billiards had a table that is waiting to be covered so I practiced off and one for the past couple of days.

Immediately upon using the Lomax jump cue, I knew that it was capable of jumping far better than my other jump cues, ESPECIALLY heavier cue balls. I always thought that my "light" jump cue was superior for "dart stroking/jumping" and that just isn't so. Steve's jump cue comes in three pieces and I can jump most shots with the traditional method of jumping using just two pieces of the jump cue, leaving off the last part. If I have a super long distance jump shot, I add the third piece and it definitely helps with accuracy on the longer shot.

On shots where the cue ball is close to an impeding object ball, I can use the first two pieces and dart stroke exceptionally well.

Also on medium distance shots, I can use the same first two pieces of the jump cue with incredible accuracy.

There is NO DOUBT that my jumping ability has increased significantly. I no long jump hoping to hit the object ball. Now, I am expecting to make the object ball on EVERY shot. The truth is that I don't make every jump shot but I am so much better at jumping than I formerly was that is is a joke that I waited this long to try out Steve Lomax's signature jump cues.

Eventually, even a hard-head like me will try something new when it is offered to him.

Joey,

You have nice words for one of the greats in the cue builder world. Those j/b's not only play well, they look damn fine as well. Kudos to you both.

Dwight

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member

Thanks for the review, Joey. A local semi-pro player has recently obtained one and really likes it. If I wasn't so pleased with my custom, I'd purchase one. I do like the idea of the 3-piece cue.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Joey

Great info, I have a Lomax jump cue on the way really looking forward to trying it.

Bob

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I have a Lomax jump cue, and have had 2 other jump cues he made. He really makes a nice cue. I dotn like to jump much, but when I do, its pretty easy with my Lomax. I would recommend him to anyone.

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
Steve makes great products and his cues are so fine they could be in the center fold of Playboy magazine. I am saving for one that he showed me that gave me such a hard-on I had to walk bent over to the pool table so no one would notice. A few years ago i had him install one of his jump/break tips on my shooting cue that I shot with for a long time until I out grew it (you enjoy stuff learn and move on).

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I like the three piece dedicated jump cues too. I would like to get one of these too - how do I contact him?

Chris

bnall

<---Proud Dad
Silver Member
I like the three piece dedicated jump cues too. I would like to get one of these too - how do I contact him?

Chris

Heres the number to his shop. 706-776-1252. I have a really nice jump/break and jump cue on order with Steve. Cant wait!

Last edited:

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member
Joey,
I want to thank you and the others for the kind words.I'm glad the cue works for you and hope you liked the ringwork.I'll see you at the Classic in a few weeks.

Thanks to all again,

Steve

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Joey,
I want to thank you and the others for the kind words.I'm glad the cue works for you and hope you liked the ringwork.I'll see you at the Classic in a few weeks.

Thanks to all again,

Steve

I sure am glad you didn't say, "I told you so". :D I remember two years ago when you tried to get me into one of your jump cues. What a wasted two years. :(

You do deserve the accolades and am glad to see others feel the same about your cues.

I think Larry Nevel and John Brumback play with your cues as well. Hopefully, they will be at the Gem City Classic July 9-11.

If you see our old friend and devil dog, Jim Jennings, see if he is going to make the trip.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue came in today, beautiful and jumps great. This may be one time when the stick really makes the difference.

Bob

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Based on your esteemed reputation and recommendation, I just ordered one from Steve. Can't wait to try it out. I got the last one of the current batch - he has a new batch coming in a few weeks.

Chris