Looking to buy wood in bulk & info on cue parts please :)

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were in your position and your location I would contact Leonard Bludworth. If he's feeling good enough I bet he would come up for a week or so at a reasonable rate. He offered me to come up here if I would transport him and that was AFTER he called me a liar and I called him a crook. :) But his health may not be well enough now.

http://www.bludworth.com/

JC
Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna give him a shout. For sure

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Yes that is exactly what I'm looking for. Lol. :). I live about an hour north of Kansas City. And would love if a veteran cue builder could come and help set shop up and do all you stated in your post. Help me get going. Does anyone know someone who could do that for me. Thanks for the really insightful post qbuilder

It would be good if you had somebody nearby, so travel expenses wouldn't be an issue. Having somebody nearby would also be nice to have as an ally of sorts. While in NM, Wes Hunter & Myself not only helped one another out with projects & such, we also split a lot of material costs. It wasn't uncommon for one of us to need a certain something & the other had it to give, such as a piece of amboyna burl, some delrin joint protectors, a table saw blade, etc. I don't off hand know any makers in Kansas City, but i'm sure somebody is there or near. Otherwise, reach out to some makers who interest you & ask. I have no idea what kind of reception you'll get or what it might cost, but I wouldn't think anybody will be rude or off putting. I do know that it's not uncommon, although I have never seen it mentioned on here. Lots of the older makers learned exactly that way from other makers. Bludworth used to sell machinery to makers, then come set up their shop & teach them basic cue making. He's he helped a lot of makers, but is now retired.

JC

Coos Cues
It would be good if you had somebody nearby, so travel expenses wouldn't be an issue. Having somebody nearby would also be nice to have as an ally of sorts. While in NM, Wes Hunter & Myself not only helped one another out with projects & such, we also split a lot of material costs. It wasn't uncommon for one of us to need a certain something & the other had it to give, such as a piece of amboyna burl, some delrin joint protectors, a table saw blade, etc. I don't off hand know any makers in Kansas City, but i'm sure somebody is there or near. Otherwise, reach out to some makers who interest you & ask. I have no idea what kind of reception you'll get or what it might cost, but I wouldn't think anybody will be rude or off putting. I do know that it's not uncommon, although I have never seen it mentioned on here. Lots of the older makers learned exactly that way from other makers. Bludworth used to sell machinery to makers, then come set up their shop & teach them basic cue making. He's he helped a lot of makers, but is now retired.

Leonard was retired when I talked to him about three years ago but he was also bored and broke.

JC

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes Doug Patrick is out of Kansas City area. I asked him. He said he mite be interested after the Midwest 9 ball tour this week Maybe after that. To help me out Alittle. Not sure to what extend yet. So thanks for the heads up of alerting that a cue builder mite do this for me. Keep any advice you guys can spare coming please. :)

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Yes Doug Patrick is out of Kansas City area. I asked him. He said he mite be interested after the Midwest 9 ball tour this week Maybe after that. So thanks for the heads up of alerting that a cue builder mite do this for me. Keep any advice you guys can spare coming please. :)

Good! That's the best case scenario, and Doug knows how to make a nice cue. Take good care of him & no doubt you'll learn far more in a few days than you'd ever learn from reading this forum. The forum is good if you need a band-aid on a scratch. You need a surgeon.

Take Doug down to Kurzweil Country Meats about 20ml south of the city, in Missouri. Eat some of the best BBQ on the planet, then ask for Chris & tell him you all are cue makers. Chris knows a thing or two about cues & cue making himself, and is about the finest example of a human being as you'll ever encounter. Seriously worth your time.

Last edited:

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good! That's the best case scenario, and Doug knows how to make a nice cue. Take good care of him & no doubt you'll learn far more in a few days than you'd ever learn from reading this forum. The forum is good if you need a band-aid on a scratch. You need a surgeon.

Take Doug down to Kurzweil Country Meats about 20ml south of the city, in Missouri. Eat some of the best BBQ on the planet, then ask for Chris & tell him you all are cue makers. Chris knows a thing or two about cues & cue making himself, and is about the finest example of a human being as you'll ever encounter. Seriously worth your time.

Wow. Hell yeah. Nothing like some great bbq and even better conversation. Lol. Thanks for that . That's awesome.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
. . . . . . . .

Wow, good 'Q and knowledgeable cue advice - doesn't get any better!!:thumbup:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It would be good if you had somebody nearby, so travel expenses wouldn't be an issue. Having somebody nearby would also be nice to have as an ally of sorts. While in NM, Wes Hunter & Myself not only helped one another out with projects & such, we also split a lot of material costs. .

That is good advice. I used to go in with other local cuemakers on wood and such to be able to get a good price. When we formed the ICA, that was one of the goals we had. We did some things like that as a group a few times and as the ICA forum participation level has died down so did the group buys.

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is good advice. I used to go in with other local cuemakers on wood and such to be able to get a good price. When we formed the ICA, that was one of the goals we had. We did some things like that as a group a few times and as the ICA forum participation level has died down so did the group buys.

Yeah that would be nice. But now no one does the group purchases anymore. I say lets get it started again and get together and buy a huge lot of wood/supplies.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Come up with a source for blk pheno tubing in jnt size that isn't loaded with porosity and I'll buy 100 ft.
That should get you started. Blk G-10 Radial pins would be a real crowd-pleaser as well. I'm in for 2 doz.

Reactions: JC

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come up with a source for blk pheno tubing in jnt size that isn't loaded with porosity and I'll buy 100 ft.
That should get you started. Blk G-10 Radial pins would be a real crowd-pleaser as well. I'm in for 2 doz.

Maybe we can do a group buy from guitarparts?
Their phenolic is very nice.

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Yeah, I knew I shoulda stayed home but figured I'd ask anyway; silly me.
Thanx Kim but $8-10 more per ft over industry avg. is a little more than exciting.
I was asking for tube, which they have but dimensionally, there's excess waste.
Now, I'm certainly not knocking the presented mtrl. as I've never bought theirs.
Given the ante, I'm not likely to either though I do wish them well.

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were to buy my shop for 27k I’d probably answer any questions you had regarding suppliers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were to buy my shop for 27k I’d probably answer any questions you had regarding suppliers.

Meaning I figured Hill would have been more than willing to answer your questions.

Reactions: JC

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hell just black pheno tubing in ANY size that isn't loaded with porosity! I can buy brown locally all day long as well as delrin and ABS. But black phenolic...good luck and God bless.