"Hawaiian" Brian Hashimoto

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Mr. Pockets is in Manhattan Beach. Yankee Doodles is in Long Beach by the water. I saw you in there once. I was the house pro there in the late 80's, early 90's. Marlene the manager called me in to play you, but when I saw it was you I took a pass. This is the room that used to be called Black Jacks (in the 70's), and it was a rough spot then. John was referring to this place.

There also was a Mr. Pockets or Pockets on Victory Blvd. in No. Hollywood or the Valley for a while also. Hollywood Jack used to go in there and it wasn't too far from the House of Billiards in Studio City that had monthly 9 ball tournaments forever. Frank the Barber & I used to play in them and the Sardo brothers were always in there along with several other pretty good players. Jerry McWhorter hung in there when he was a young guy and was a pretty good player prior to his making cues. Frank probably won more of those tournaments than anyone over the years.

I remember the manager at Yankee Doodles in Long Beach and she was a beauty. I also remember when you ran tournaments there after The Color of Money came out, that when Keith played he signed in as Grady Seasons.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
jrhendy said:
There also was a Mr. Pockets or Pockets on Victory Blvd. in No. Hollywood or the Valley for a while also. Hollywood Jack used to go in there and it wasn't too far from the House of Billiards in Studio City that had monthly 9 ball tournaments forever. Frank the Barber & I used to play in them and the Sardo brothers were always in there along with several other pretty good players. Jerry McWhorter hung in there when he was a young guy and was a pretty good player prior to his making cues. Frank probably won more of those tournaments than anyone over the years.

I remember the manager at Yankee Doodles in Long Beach and she was a beauty. I also remember when you ran tournaments there after The Color of Money came out, that when Keith played he signed in as Grady Seasons.

That place on Victory Blvd. was called Chopstix. The manager's name was Marlene and she was my girlfriend for a couple of years. I took her to the U.S. Open Straight Pool in Chicago in 1989. That's the one that Oliver won, beating Mizerak in the finals. George Fels and I did the commentary for local television.