Tournament Listing Tips......

jamaicajoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey bigtruck, is there a way to edit my header? I listed my tourn for nov 7th and 8th and it should be nov 6th and 7th. Bill jamaicajoes

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Hey bigtruck, is there a way to edit my header? I listed my tourn for nov 7th and 8th and it should be nov 6th and 7th. Bill jamaicajoes

Bill,
Just go to your post and select "Edit", then select "Go ADVANCED" and edit. You can change your heading there.
JoeyA

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bill,
Just go to your post and select "Edit", then select "Go ADVANCED" and edit. You can change your heading there.
JoeyA

Unfortunately Joey, That will only change it inside the thread, not on the title that everyone sees.

Here's how to do it.

Send your request to:

Housepro@azbilliards.com

Include a link to the thread in question and exactly how you want the title to read.

Ray

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Unfortunately Joey, That will only change it inside the thread, not on the title that everyone sees.

Here's how to do it.

Send your request to:

Housepro@azbilliards.com

Include a link to the thread in question and exactly how you want the title to read.

Ray

I know Ray. At least when someone clicks on the thread and they go to reading about it they will see the corrected heading.

Housepro has a lot to do these days and he really doesn't have a lot of time to go correcting headings.

Another suggestion is to delete everything and start a new thread with the correct dates. Bump that thread versus the one with the misinformation and it will rise to the top and be read instead of the error thread.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know Ray. At least when someone clicks on the thread and they go to reading about it they will see the corrected heading.

Housepro has a lot to do these days and he really doesn't have a lot of time to go correcting headings.

Another suggestion is to delete everything and start a new thread with the correct dates. Bump that thread versus the one with the misinformation and it will rise to the top and be read instead of the error thread.

Joey,

He sure does have a lot going on. Multiple threads are confusing IMO. I think they should be avoided.

Best thing we can do is to be very careful and sure about our titles before hitting the post button. There is a small window, maybe a minute or so, that you can correct the title yourself. After that, Mike,Jerry or Dave are your only options.

Ray

Bankin-B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THESE ARE A FEW THINGS THAT HAVE WORKED FOR ME.:)

Do a little research on events in your area. Try to co-ordinate schedules the best you can. ALL events can have more players if they are not stacked on top of each other.

The TITLE - DATE, EVENT TITLE, TOWN & STATE, ADDED MONEY IF IT'S 1,000+++
....................( if players have to scan through your entire thread to find out your event is in Alaska, fewer people will bother)

If you can paste or link a Map to where the pool Hall is, it's very helpful. ( Make sure the map is correct) (Thanks JoeyA ;) )

All the details -. Posting a flyer is great, if your flyer is too big to post, either re-size it or include a link to the flyer or simply list some of the details.

Save some details for "bumping".

Dated Events - All of our events are dated. We all like to keep our event up front. Nothing worse than getting your event, that's scheduled for next weekend, trumped by an event that's not scheduled for another month or two.

a) Don't "bump" too soon - Get the thread bumping 7-14 days before the event. If you bump to soon the thread may fade when all points are addressed.
b) If you will present questions, the players will help you bump the thread.( I have found that if I see ALL the information right away, there's nothing to ask)
c) Use Information to "bump" - I know most events have many mentionable attributes that can be useful to someone considering your event. ie Hotels, Restaurants, action spots nearby etc.. "bumping" just by using the word "bump" doesn't generate interest in my opinion.

IF ANYONE HAS ANYTHING THAT WILL HELP US BENEFIT MORE FROM THIS PART OF THE FORUM, PLEASE SHARE WITH US.

Sincerely,

Ray
9th annual Turkey Blowout at John waynes, great tournament and proven to be the best 8-ball tournament in town. everybody is welcome, tournament is handicapped and low skill level is guaranteed to make the final three. good food and good action. John Waynes bar and grill in Indianapolis Indiana. Friday after thanksgiving

gpool67

The Tiger West Palm Beach Open Held @GOLDEN Q BILLIARDS 1/16/11

Sunday "One Day Event"
$500 Added
Golden Q Billiards
The Tiger West Palm Beach Open Held
January 16th, 2011
4340 Forest Hill Blvd.
West Palm Beach, Fl. 33406
http://www.southeastopen.com

See you there!!!

Last edited:

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
Tournaments in same regions Please

I think it would be cool if the we could post tournament announcements in regional categories instead of the whole world together.

What do you'all think?

Ray

That would be great if we could list by region :)

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can they start with city and state for the announcement of tournaments. Thanks

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to suggest that people who think enough of pool tournaments to advertise them in this forum, it would sure be swell if they could exert the same effort and provide the RESULTS at the conclusion of the tournament to AzBilliards, so inquiring minds can learn who won.

It's all fine and dandy to advertise for a tournament beforehand, but I think the same effort should be exerted to provide the results thereafter, JMHO!

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to suggest that people who think enough of pool tournaments to advertise them in this forum, it would sure be swell if they could exert the same effort and provide the RESULTS at the conclusion of the tournament to AzBilliards, so inquiring minds can learn who won.

It's all fine and dandy to advertise for a tournament beforehand, but I think the same effort should be exerted to provide the results thereafter, JMHO!
I agree 4,000,000 %!!!

People continually post and bump over and over to get you to show up for a tournament...but as soon as it's over the bulk of them disappear into nothingness.

It takes less than 5 minutes to post results!

Even if we won't go to an out-of-state event for personal reasons, we would at least like to see who won, and what the payouts were.

Let's have some follow-up, people!

Last edited:

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
I agree 4,000,000 %!!!

People continually post and bump over and over to get you to show up for a tournament...but as soon as it's over the bulk of them disappear into nothingness.

It takes less than 5 minutes to post results!

Even if we won't go to an out-of-state event for personal reasons, we would at least like to see who won, and what the payouts were.

Let's have some follow-up, people!

+1 here. It would be great to know the final results.

On another note, most of us are looking for tournaments within driving distance. Something I'd like to suggest is putting the zip code of where the tournament is in the title section.
If the zip code of the tourney starts with the same two or three numbers of where I am, then I want to find out more.

Just my $.02...

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can they start with city and state for the announcement of tournaments. Thanks

I agree whole heartedly....

[STATE, CITY] etc..etc..etc...

I missed a couple tournaments already because the STATE and CITY were not listed. :)

real cowboy

Registered
Big Truck this is ACE is called you the other night about the clam.. you know who the nice guy well im working on some stuff and will let you know what up when ready thx for your ear!!! You are the best and kept up the GREAT '' work... ACE

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
BigTruck has taken the time to create a Sticky for tips on posting tournament information. I would strongly recommend reading this.

AZ'ers would like to see the information presented in a certain way, and we can all agree the desired format is helpful to all.

I would like to propose some additional tips that I (and hopefully others) would find useful.

1. Please do not create multiple threads for the same event. This is not the same as bumping. It causes confusion, especially when you have as many as five threads for your event. We don't know which one to follow and which to reply to. Also, it suggests a certain level of disorganization, which may be interpreted as a sign of how the event would be run.

2. Please post the results, payouts and well-known participants as soon as possible after the tournament is over. You want us to read the thread for your event and to be interested in your event. That sentiment should carry over into us being interested in the results, payouts and participants. Don't leave us hanging!

3. Don't be rude to people asking questions about your event, whatever they may be, or however angry it makes you. Simply put, this is poor customer service. If the person's question is out of line as perceived by you, you should send that person a PM and not chastise them in the presence of everyone else. That person could have been a regular at future events and could have also brought in more business by encouraging their friends to participate.

4. Don't take criticisms personally. Some of us are trying to help you. We are not all business owners, but sometimes the slightest suggestion for improvement causes the hackles to rise. This is unnecessary. Take the opinions with a grain of salt, weigh the pros and cons and act accordingly. Flying off the handle and making off-the-cuff, and often misinterpreted responses helps no one.

5. Be very clear about payouts and green fees when asked. In my opinion, participants have every right to know where and how their entry monies are being distributed. Usually the weaker players outnumber the stronger ones, and people need to know if their investment, drive time, food, hotel fees are going to be worth it, especially if it takes time away from their families. Not everyone is going to be super-grateful just because they can play in a tournament, and be happy with that. The bad economy affects us all, not just room owners.

6. Please be very clear about the rules, or have them readily available on Game Day. There should not be an attitude of "Everybody should know the rules by now". If you're trying to entice new business, this may also include new players who may not be familiar with the intricacies of any game, or every scenario. Be patient...and prepare to be informative.

7. Schedule your event's play time evenly if it is a weekend event. Having players stay into the wee hours of Sunday morning, only to resume play early Sunday afternoon is asking too much. There is a big difference between giving the players all the pool they can handle and scheduling an event unevenly.

8. Please start your events on time! Stop making the bulk of the field suffer because Big Time player called and said he/she would be a few minutes late. Time does not work differently the better you are. If Big Time player can't get to the event on time like everybody else, they should suffer the consequences like everybody else.

I know the title of my thread listed posting of tournament results but once I got going I could not stop...:)

Thanks for reading.

Great post. Wanted to share here too.

GoBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How difficult would it be to add a sort option to the tourney listings page that would sort tourneys within a certain distance from your zip code? It seems this would be fairly straight forward and it would be extremely helpful for all involved.