Places to play in Rockford, Il.

OrigZaphod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be traveling to rockford, Il. in the next week and will be spending a day there, right around the super 8 on 20 and 90.

Looking for a place to shoot alittle pool..

dennis

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I will be traveling to rockford, Il. in the next week and will be spending a day there, right around the super 8 on 20 and 90.

Looking for a place to shoot alittle pool..

dennis

I know Dallas West has a place at State and Madison. Then there is another place around Main and Auburn.

I lived there as a kid but don't go up there much anymore.

Duane Tuula

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which night of the week?

Going west on E. State St 10 minutes or less you will find Shooter's (Don Carter Lanes, upstairs) that has 6 Diamond 7' tables. Farther west on E. State another 10 minutes or less you run into Dallas's at State & Madison (entrance on Madison) with a mix of 7' Valleys and 9' Black Crown tables. Proceeding further west (across the river) and then heading north on Main St another 5+ minutes you will find the Rockford Billiard Cafe (Main & Auburn) again with a mix of Valleys and Gold Crowns.

As mentioned you could also head north on I-90 and visit the Carom Room in Beloit, WI. The drive is about 20 - 25 mins from Super 8.

Feel free to PM me if you have any detailed questions and I'll be glad to help.

Duane

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Going west on E. State St 10 minutes or less you will find Shooter's (Don Carter Lanes, upstairs) that has 6 Diamond 7' tables.
Duane

Wow. That place is still open? I played there a little in the 70s. There was another bowling alley a little west on the other side of the street next to an octopus car wash that also had a bunch of tables but I know that is gone.

Duane Tuula

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. That place is still open? I played there a little in the 70s. There was another bowling alley a little west on the other side of the street next to an octopus car wash that also had a bunch of tables but I know that is gone.

No & yes... Back in those days it had 9' tables (AMF or Gold Crown... I was kinda young) and it closed down in the early to mid 80's. Then in the mid 90's it reopend with cheap home tables. It has evolved over the years into Valleys and now Diamonds.

The other place was Fairview Lanes just west a couple of blocks. It was turned into a few stores to complete the strip mall were it was located. The Octupus is still thriving in the same spot. There was a nightclub for a while in between called Maggie's Pub but that burned down!

OrigZaphod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which night of the week?

Going west on E. State St 10 minutes or less you will find Shooter's (Don Carter Lanes, upstairs) that has 6 Diamond 7' tables. Farther west on E. State another 10 minutes or less you run into Dallas's at State & Madison (entrance on Madison) with a mix of 7' Valleys and 9' Black Crown tables. Proceeding further west (across the river) and then heading north on Main St another 5+ minutes you will find the Rockford Billiard Cafe (Main & Auburn) again with a mix of Valleys and Gold Crowns.

As mentioned you could also head north on I-90 and visit the Carom Room in Beloit, WI. The drive is about 20 - 25 mins from Super 8.

Feel free to PM me if you have any detailed questions and I'll be glad to help.

Duane

Most likely going to be getting up there around 7:30 next wed. Night, then heading back on thrusday night.

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
I frequent Rockford because that is the hometown of my girlfriend so I have also had to look for places to play.

The Rockford billiard Cafe is a decent place (Main and Auburn location I believe). I believe they have all 7' tables and maybe 1 9' that is pretty old. It has been a year since I have been here so I could be mistaken.

I recently found the Carom Room in Beloit and plan to never go back to the Billiard Cafe. This place is nice, tables are in excellent condition, and there are many friendly players. The food is good and they have plenty of both 7' tables and 9' tables. When I was there in January they have a deal during the day you cannot beat. $5 pool from 10am - 3pm, thats a dollar an hour!

Steve

OrigZaphod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I frequent Rockford because that is the hometown of my girlfriend so I have also had to look for places to play.

The Rockford billiard Cafe is a decent place (Main and Auburn location I believe). I believe they have all 7' tables and maybe 1 9' that is pretty old. It has been a year since I have been here so I could be mistaken.

I recently found the Carom Room in Beloit and plan to never go back to the Billiard Cafe. This place is nice, tables are in excellent condition, and there are many friendly players. The food is good and they have plenty of both 7' tables and 9' tables. When I was there in January they have a deal during the day you cannot beat. $5 pool from 10am - 3pm, thats a dollar an hour!

Steve

Well, I will be arriving buy good ol' grayhound and spending the night at the every great super 8. So I was hoping for something within reasonable walking distance from there.

Dartman

Silver Member
There is bus service along State St.
Carters is probably 10 minutes from where you're staying.
Call 815-961-9000 for routes and schedules.

Duane Tuula

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I will be arriving buy good ol' grayhound and spending the night at the every great super 8. So I was hoping for something within reasonable walking distance from there.

Walking distance :eek: Tiger Tail's but they don't have a table as I recall. Cousin's Bar has two Valley's and is a very nice place on Perryville & State but walking there is still a good 25 minutes.

If you can catch a ride down to Shooters (Don Carter Lanes) I'll be there at 9:30 to play for a bit and can help you get back to the hotel.

OrigZaphod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walking distance :eek: Tiger Tail's but they don't have a table as I recall. Cousin's Bar has two Valley's and is a very nice place on Perryville & State but walking there is still a good 25 minutes.

If you can catch a ride down to Shooters (Don Carter Lanes) I'll be there at 9:30 to play for a bit and can help you get back to the hotel.

That sounds good. I can get checked into the hotel and get a cab there by 9:30. I will pm you closer to the day and make the arrangements..

Dennis