US Open 9-Ball 2016 -- Rules

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Official Rules--US Open 9-Ball 2016

A copy of these rules will be printed and given to every player at the players' meeting.
OFFICIAL RULES --- 2016 U.S. OPEN 9-BALL CHAMPIONSHIP
It is each player’s responsibility to follow the rules, regulations and schedules that apply to this event.
I. Dress Code
Dress-type shirt (with or without a collar) or a dress-type sweater
Dress slacks
Dark shoes or dark-colored tennis or walking-type shoes
No sweat pants, warm-up pants, jogging pants, cargo pants, jeans, sandals, slippers or open-toed shoes
No headphones, earphones, earplugs, iPod or Bluetooth devices
Hearing-aids are permitted.
Any dress code exception to the above requires a medical doctor’s note and must be approved by the Tournament Director prior to the tournament.
II. Cell Phones and Personal Electronic Devices
Players must completely turn off (use the airplane mode) cell phones and any personal electronic devices during the entire match.
Smoking and the use of E-cigarettes is not allowed anywhere in the tournament room.
III. Forfeit Time
Both players must be in the tournament room at their scheduled match time, even if their scheduled match table is still in use.
Forfeit time is 15 minutes after the scheduled match time, or when the table becomes available, whichever is later. If a player is not present at his table a few minutes after the starting time, his opponent must notify the referee. Only the Tournament Director can declare a forfeit.
IV. Time-Outs
Each player may take one 5 minute time-out per match. The referee must be notified when a time-out is being taken. A time-out may only be taken during your inning or if you are breaking. Smoking and the use of E-cigarettes is prohibited during any time-out.
V. Slow Play
Referees will monitor the pace of play on all tables.
Referees will issue a speed-up warning after 1 hour if the pace is not satisfactory (approximately
10 games should be completed after 1 hour). If the pace remains unsatisfactory, the referee will implement a 40 second shot clock, with one extension per player per game.
VI. Concession Penalty
Concessions are not permitted at any time. The penalty for a concession is the loss of the conceded game and also a 1 game deduction from the offending player’s score.
VII. Cues and Bridges
Jump cues of at least 40 inches in length are allowed. Cue extenders are allowed.
Players may use their own bridge, provided it is legal in all aspects.
VIII. Ball Cleaning
Once a game is in progress, only the referee, upon request, is permitted to clean any ball.

Rules of Play
The US Open 9-Ball Championship is a WPA sanctioned event.
Players are required to conduct themselves as professionals at all times.
Unsportsmanlike conduct may be subject to penalties administered by the Tournament Director at his discretion.
Specific Rules applying to this tournament are as follows:
I. Format
Double Elimination
Winner Breaks
Race to 11 until final day; Race to 13 on final day; must win by 2 games; 14-14 is hill / hill
II. Racking
The Accu-Rack is the only authorized racking device to be used in this tournament. The Accu-Rack may be removed after the break if both players agree to do so. After it’s removed, the Accu-Rack cannot be placed on the rail.
Upon request at any time during the match, the referee may assist in removing the Accu-Rack, but it is the referee’s decision as to whether the Accu-Rack can or cannot be safely removed. Players must rack the 1-Ball in front, the 9-Ball on the spot, and the 2-Ball behind the 9-Ball.
All other balls must be randomly placed. No pattern racking is allowed. Players must rack their own when they are breaking.
III. Breaking
Players must lag for the opening break.
Players must break from the designated break box.
A legal break requires at least 3 object balls to be driven past the headstring. Any combination of balls pocketed and balls past the headstring totaling 3 or more meets the legal break requirement.
An illegal break is not a foul. The incoming player has the option to either accept the table in position, or require his opponent to shoot from that position. Neither player may push out after an illegal break.
If the 9-Ball is pocketed on an illegal break, it must be re-spotted immediately. Pocketing the 9 ball on a legal break in any pocket wins the game.
IV. Fouls
The “all ball fouls” rule applies.
This tournament is being played with “area” referees; each referee is responsible for several tables.
There is no referee constantly presiding at each table (except in the Accu-Stats TV Arena). Generally, the non-shooting player acts as the referee. However, either player may ask the area referee to watch a shot or to clarify a rule.
The referee’s decision is final once summoned to the table, either before or after a shot has been taken.
3 consecutive fouls is an automatic loss of game. A clearly audible warning of “on 2” must be given to the incoming player as he approaches the table.

Good luck to everyone.
Karl Kantrowitz, Tournament Director

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad you're moving to the full 3-point rule used all around the world. Wasn't it just past the center of the table last time? I have mixed feelings about the break box. With the 3-point rule I don't think it's necessary, but I suppose there's not really a downside. And with these (tougher) break rules, I like winner breaks. It's going to be really tough to get big packages of run outs. And I really like rack-your-own.

I don't understand how you can prevent (or prove) pattern racking, so I don't know why it's necessary to even have that rule in there.

I wish the 40-sec. shot clock was standard on all games, but I understand the logistics might be difficult. They're not even required on the recorded matches?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome stuff. Love the idea of the area refs. Still wish each table could have it's own ref, but in due time hopefully.

I'm also a big fan of the slow play and concession penalty rules. While I don't expect it to happen, what would happen if a player concedes the very first game? Would his/her score be brought to -1?

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm glad you're moving to the full 3-point rule used all around the world. Wasn't it just past the center of the table last time? I have mixed feelings about the break box. With the 3-point rule I don't think it's necessary, but I suppose there's not really a downside. And with these (tougher) break rules, I like winner breaks. It's going to be really tough to get big packages of run outs. And I really like rack-your-own.

I don't understand how you can prevent (or prove) pattern racking, so I don't know why it's necessary to even have that rule in there.

I wish the 40-sec. shot clock was standard on all games, but I understand the logistics might be difficult. They're not even required on the recorded matches?

Yes, it was "past the center of the table" last year.
Pattern racking is difficult to prevent, but we have the rule in place and intend to enforce it. The players have a responsibility to monitor their opponents.
No shot clocks, but the refs will keep things moving along.
Thanks for your comments.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Awesome stuff. Love the idea of the area refs. Still wish each table could have it's own ref, but in due time hopefully.

I'm also a big fan of the slow play and concession penalty rules. While I don't expect it to happen, what would happen if a player concedes the very first game? Would his/her score be brought to -1?

Great question!
Yes, the player who conceded the first game would trail 1 to minus 1.
I hope that someday we can afford to hire certified referees for every table and every match.
This year we have four certified refs, plus Ken Shuman and me.
Two of the four will share afternoon and evening shifts.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Karl -- a couple comments about the 3-point rule for a legal break.

• Your rule requires that at least 3 balls "be driven past the headstring" or pocketed. For quite a while on the Eurotour, the rule has been that at least 3 balls must either be pocketed or touch the head string. "Touch" means they don't have to completely cross the head string (either the base of the ball or all of the ball), they just have to reach it (any part of the ball break an imaginary plane rising from the head string).

The WPA has written new rules that incorporate a 3-point rule for events that use one. Unfortunately, they have botched the language. In the 9-Ball rules, paragraph 2.3(c), it uses the words "three balls must cross the head string" and then refers to Regulation 18 for details. But Reg. 18 uses the "touch the head string" language, where "To touch the head string line means that the edge of the object ball must reach (break) the string line."

So one question for you is what do you really want to do with this. I imagine you are trying to be consistent with the WPA 3-point rules, but, as I said, they currently are internally inconsistent. I don't know whether the WPA will ultimately end up with "touch" or "cross." But if you retain your language of "be driven past the headstring," I'd suggest you be clear to everyone exactly what you mean by that.

• Your rule says "Neither player may push out after an illegal break." This is different from both the Eurotour rules and the WPA rules. In those, if the non-breaker accepts the table after a non-satisfactory (illegal) break, he cannot push out. But if he returns the table to the breaker, the breaker may choose to push out. I point this out on the slim chance that you weren't aware of it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
A copy of these rules will be printed and given to every player at the players' meeting.
OFFICIAL RULES --- 2016 U.S. OPEN 9-BALL CHAMPIONSHIP
It is each player’s responsibility to follow the rules, regulations and schedules that apply to this event.
I. Dress Code
Dress-type shirt (with or without a collar) or a dress-type sweater
Dress slacks
Dark shoes or dark-colored tennis or walking-type shoes
No sweat pants, warm-up pants, jogging pants, cargo pants, jeans, sandals, slippers or open-toed shoes
No headphones, earphones, earplugs, iPod or Bluetooth devices
Hearing-aids are permitted.
Any dress code exception to the above requires a medical doctor’s note and must be approved by the Tournament Director prior to the tournament.
II. Cell Phones and Personal Electronic Devices
Players must completely turn off (use the airplane mode) cell phones and any personal electronic devices during the entire match.
Smoking and the use of E-cigarettes is not allowed anywhere in the tournament room.
III. Forfeit Time
Both players must be in the tournament room at their scheduled match time, even if their scheduled match table is still in use.
Forfeit time is 15 minutes after the scheduled match time, or when the table becomes available, whichever is later. If a player is not present at his table a few minutes after the starting time, his opponent must notify the referee. Only the Tournament Director can declare a forfeit.
IV. Time-Outs
Each player may take one 5 minute time-out per match. The referee must be notified when a time-out is being taken. A time-out may only be taken during your inning or if you are breaking. Smoking and the use of E-cigarettes is prohibited during any time-out.
V. Slow Play
Referees will monitor the pace of play on all tables.
Referees will issue a speed-up warning after 1 hour if the pace is not satisfactory (approximately
10 games should be completed after 1 hour). If the pace remains unsatisfactory, the referee will implement a 40 second shot clock, with one extension per player per game.
VI. Concession Penalty
Concessions are not permitted at any time. The penalty for a concession is the loss of the conceded game and also a 1 game deduction from the offending player’s score.
VII. Cues and Bridges
Jump cues of at least 40 inches in length are allowed. Cue extenders are allowed.
Players may use their own bridge, provided it is legal in all aspects.
VIII. Ball Cleaning
Once a game is in progress, only the referee, upon request, is permitted to clean any ball.

Rules of Play
The US Open 9-Ball Championship is a WPA sanctioned event.
Players are required to conduct themselves as professionals at all times.
Unsportsmanlike conduct may be subject to penalties administered by the Tournament Director at his discretion.
Specific Rules applying to this tournament are as follows:
I. Format
Double Elimination
Winner Breaks
Race to 11 until final day; Race to 13 on final day; must win by 2 games; 14-14 is hill / hill
II. Racking
The Accu-Rack is the only authorized racking device to be used in this tournament. The Accu-Rack may be removed after the break if both players agree to do so. After it’s removed, the Accu-Rack cannot be placed on the rail.
Upon request at any time during the match, the referee may assist in removing the Accu-Rack, but it is the referee’s decision as to whether the Accu-Rack can or cannot be safely removed. Players must rack the 1-Ball in front, the 9-Ball on the spot, and the 2-Ball behind the 9-Ball.
All other balls must be randomly placed. No pattern racking is allowed. Players must rack their own when they are breaking.
III. Breaking
Players must lag for the opening break.
Players must break from the designated break box.
A legal break requires at least 3 object balls to be driven past the headstring. Any combination of balls pocketed and balls past the headstring totaling 3 or more meets the legal break requirement.
An illegal break is not a foul. The incoming player has the option to either accept the table in position, or require his opponent to shoot from that position. Neither player may push out after an illegal break.
If the 9-Ball is pocketed on an illegal break, it must be re-spotted immediately. Pocketing the 9 ball on a legal break in any pocket wins the game.
IV. Fouls
The “all ball fouls” rule applies.
This tournament is being played with “area” referees; each referee is responsible for several tables.
There is no referee constantly presiding at each table (except in the Accu-Stats TV Arena). Generally, the non-shooting player acts as the referee. However, either player may ask the area referee to watch a shot or to clarify a rule.
The referee’s decision is final once summoned to the table, either before or after a shot has been taken.
3 consecutive fouls is an automatic loss of game. A clearly audible warning of “on 2” must be given to the incoming player as he approaches the table.

Good luck to everyone.
Karl Kantrowitz, Tournament Director

What cue ball will be in use? This needs to be finalized so that players can prepare with the right cue ball.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Karl -- a couple comments about the 3-point rule for a legal break.

• Your rule requires that at least 3 balls "be driven past the headstring" or pocketed. For quite a while on the Eurotour, the rule has been that at least 3 balls must either be pocketed or touch the head string. "Touch" means they don't have to completely cross the head string (either the base of the ball or all of the ball), they just have to reach it (any part of the ball break an imaginary plane rising from the head string).

The WPA has written new rules that incorporate a 3-point rule for events that use one. Unfortunately, they have botched the language. In the 9-Ball rules, paragraph 2.3(c), it uses the words "three balls must cross the head string" and then refers to Regulation 18 for details. But Reg. 18 uses the "touch the head string" language, where "To touch the head string line means that the edge of the object ball must reach (break) the string line."

So one question for you is what do you really want to do with this. I imagine you are trying to be consistent with the WPA 3-point rules, but, as I said, they currently are internally inconsistent. I don't know whether the WPA will ultimately end up with "touch" or "cross." But if you retain your language of "be driven past the headstring," I'd suggest you be clear to everyone exactly what you mean by that.

• Your rule says "Neither player may push out after an illegal break." This is different from both the Eurotour rules and the WPA rules. In those, if the non-breaker accepts the table after a non-satisfactory (illegal) break, he cannot push out. But if he returns the table to the breaker, the breaker may choose to push out. I point this out on the slim chance that you weren't aware of it.

Thanks for your comments. We will clarify the "be driven past the headstring" rule at the players' meeting. I think we will use the base of the balI as the point of measurement, but I will confer with Ken Shuman prior to that meeting and make the final determination. We also discussed the push out scenario and we decided to make it clear that no one can push out after an illegal break. One could certainly make a case for either way.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What cue ball will be in use? This needs to be finalized so that players can prepare with the right cue ball.

In his announcement of the 2016 US Open 9-Ball Championships, Pat Fleming, the Producer, detailed the equipment to be used:

Diamond 9' Tournament tables with pro cut pockets.
Simonis 860 cloth.
Aramith balls with measle cue-ball
Accu-Rack 9-Ball template

Thanks for your comment.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Sounds the like you guys have everything covered this year. I wish Pat and staff good luck with what sounds like the start of a new beginning for this tournament. Johnnyt

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Last year we used the "3-point rule in the center of the table".
This year we decided to use the headstring.
Winner breaks from the break box combined with the headstring 3-point rule is fair, in my opinion.
We will enforce the no pattern racking rule.
Shot clocks are not possible because we don't have referees at every table.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds the like you guys have everything covered this year. I wish Pat and staff good luck with what sounds like the start of a new beginning for this tournament. Johnnyt

Thank you, Johnnyt, that is high praise, especially coming from you.
I mean that sincerely.
You often criticize on this forum, which you have the right to do.
I like the fact that you are skeptical concerning anything in the pool world.
I've been around long enough to see both the good and the bad, and sometimes I agree with your skepticism.
I've known Pat Fleming, the Producer of this year's Open, for over 30 years.
Pat is a straight-shooter...everyone respects him.
That's why I wanted to be the Tournament Director this year.
That's why I published all the rules.
See you in Norfolk.
Karl Kantrowitz

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Thank you, Johnnyt, that is high praise, especially coming from you.
I mean that sincerely.
You often criticize on this forum, which you have the right to do.
I like the fact that you are skeptical concerning anything in the pool world.
I've been around long enough to see both the good and the bad, and sometimes I agree with your skepticism.
I've known Pat Fleming, the Producer of this year's Open, for over 30 years.
Pat is a straight-shooter...everyone respects him.
That's why I wanted to be the Tournament Director this year.
That's why I published all the rules.
See you in Norfolk.
Karl Kantrowitz

Thank you for the kind words. I won't be there live, but I will be watching on PPV. Johnnyt

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In his announcement of the 2016 US Open 9-Ball Championships, Pat Fleming, the Producer, detailed the equipment to be used:

Diamond 9' Tournament tables with pro cut pockets.
Simonis 860 cloth.
Aramith balls with measle cue-ball
Accu-Rack 9-Ball template

Thanks for your comment.

Much appreciated.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity, why the rule that players can't smoke or vape during their 5 minute break?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your comments. We will clarify the "be driven past the headstring" rule at the players' meeting. I think we will use the base of the balI as the point of measurement, but I will confer with Ken Shuman prior to that meeting and make the final determination. We also discussed the push out scenario and we decided to make it clear that no one can push out after an illegal break. One could certainly make a case for either way.

The break rules sounds good like those for Matchroom events- Mosconi cup and World cup of pool. This makes it harder to runout :)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The break rules sounds good like those for Matchroom events- Mosconi cup and World cup of pool. This makes it harder to runout :)

These rules for the US Open will be quite a bit different from what the Mosconi Cup has used for the last couple years:
- a standard triangle rack (US Open will use a template)
- break from anywhere behind the head string (US Open will use a break box)
- no illegal-break rule (US Open will use an illegal-break rule)

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity, why the rule that players can't smoke or vape during their 5 minute break?

The hotel prohibits smoking and vaping in the Arena and all surrounding areas. It's impossible to leave those areas, smoke and return to play in less than five minutes.
We instituted the rule to emphasize that it simply can't be done, so don't even try it.
Last year, a few players tried to smoke on their time-outs and were late returning to their matches. It's unfair to their opponents and the spectators.
Good question.
I hope that my answer is satisfactory.
Karl

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see the " rack on the rail " thing has been officially addressed this year lol so that's a good thing I suppose.

I did notice something in the official rules again this year I am still curious about though. As per written " the 2 ball MUST BE RACKED BEHIND THE 9 " . Now there are technically 3 positions where a ball could be racked " behind the 9 ", so don't they have a specific location in mind ( such as the very back of the rack - think opposite of 1 ball ) or does it mean in any of those 3 position behind the 9? I axed this question last year and do not recall getting a specific a answer.