fractional aiming zones

harryenn

Registered
i bought "poolology about a month ago. as soon as it arrived i read it cover to cover,then i put it aside thinking i'd never be able to memorize it all.because of all the positive posts by azbers and brian's support videos i decided to give it a try. this is one helluva system.even if you only need it when faced with a tester it is worth learning. i'm very glad i have it.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
i bought "poolology about a month ago. as soon as it arrived i read it cover to cover,then i put it aside thinking i'd never be able to memorize it all.because of all the positive posts by azbers and brian's support videos i decided to give it a try. this is one helluva system.even if you only need it when faced with a tester it is worth learning. i'm very glad i have it.

Thanks so much!

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think of it this way. Most of zone A is pretty easy to learn. Flip A and most of the table is covered. By this time B would start to sink in. Zone C is another matter. I admit I photocopied C and have it in my case. On the other hand while working A you should be getting pretty close to seeing the angles and not needing C, I hope. In any case, it works.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Think of it this way. Most of zone A is pretty easy to learn. Flip A and most of the table is covered. By this time B would start to sink in. Zone C is another matter. I admit I photocopied C and have it in my case. On the other hand while working A you should be getting pretty close to seeing the angles and not needing C, I hope. In any case, it works.

Exactly. I use the system on certain shots, basically as a solid backup to my natural feel. I originally came up with a version of it around 2002, using only the end rail for alignment values, considering the whole table as one "zone". It worked great on some shots, but not so great on others, so I used it sparingly.

Then a friend started using some aiming method where he would line up on the side of the CB, then pivot. It worked on some shots, but he found himself missing more often than before, which was never really that often. So he quit that pivot business. He plays great regardless - once put a 4-pack on me on my own tough 9ft table! Anyway, this was several years back, and I tried to explain my little fractional method for certain back cut shots. But he said it was too complicated to learn. So I worked on it and tweaked it until it wasn't so complicated.

I'm grateful for those of you that are finding value in it! I can't thank you enough for the support!

Keep checking my Poolology videos on YouTube, and don't hesitate to send requests, comments, or complaints.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:

harryenn

Registered
that's a good way of looking at it. as i said in my last post,at first i thought it would be too hard to memorize. when i finally got down to business i was able to memorize 3 of the 4 zones in several days spending only about 30 minutes a day at the table. it's really not difficult at all.
harry

cdsunrise

Registered
Exactly. I use the system on certain shots, basically as a solid backup to my natural feel. I originally came up with a version of it around 2002, using only the end rail for alignment values, considering the whole table as one "zone". It worked great on some shots, but not so great on others, so I used it sparingly.

Then a friend started using some aiming method where he would line up on the side of the CB, then pivot. It worked on some shots, but he found himself missing more often than before, which was never really that often. So he quit that pivot business. He plays great regardless - once put a 4-pack on me on my own tough 9ft table! Anyway, this was several years back, and I tried to explain my little fractional method for certain back cut shots. But he said it was too complicated to learn. So I worked on it and tweaked it until it wasn't so complicated.

I'm grateful for those of you that are finding value in it! I can't thank you enough for the support!

Keep checking my Poolology videos on YouTube, and don't hesitate to send requests, comments, or complaints.

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian, I also purchased your book and I'm reading and learning learning, I have used a rougher system starting with corner pocket and working with diamonds to count 15, 30 and 45 D.

In your book on page 26 , how would you treat a shot where the CB ( on center table spot) is right under OB ( on the spot shot).

In my thinking this is a classic 45 D. shot. CB is right under OB that is exactly on the line joining corner and side pockets.

If i read and use correctly your A zone, I would have alignment values of 20 for long rail and short rail as well. So, 20/20 represents full 100 percent value or hit?????

Tks in advance.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Brian, I also purchased your book and I'm reading and learning learning, I have used a rougher system starting with corner pocket and working with diamonds to count 15, 30 and 45 D.

In your book on page 26 , how would you treat a shot where the CB ( on center table spot) is right under OB ( on the spot shot).

In my thinking this is a classic 45 D. shot. CB is right under OB that is exactly on the line joining corner and side pockets.

If i read and use correctly your A zone, I would have alignment values of 20 for long rail and short rail as well. So, 20/20 represents full 100 percent value or hit?????

Tks in advance.

You're exactly right....mathematical, the line from the OB to the corner pocket is 45°. This ignores the frictional throw that occurs, which could be as much 1 to 3° depending on ball and cloth condition. And keep in mind that shot angles are not based on CB to OB line. They're based on CB to ghostball, the aim line, which adds another 5° or so to the cut. This makes the shot much closer to 50+° to center hole. Add another 5 to 8° for allowable pocket error (shooting left or right of center pocket), and the shot becomes a 1/8 hit to send it to the outside of the pocket. But from that close to the pocket, the 1/4 hit could be used with alignment values between 15 and 20. A little more than 20 can use a 1/4 hit with outside spin.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
brian
my 2 cents
these type of discussions should be via pm or any other method you like to communicate with the purchasers of your book
dont say too much
let people buy your book
i bought it and am happy i did...:)
individual questions should remain individual in my opinion
jmho icbw

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Good idea, Larry. That's why I started the Poolology YouTube channel. There are​ a couple of things that need elaboration, or tweaking. Besides that, it's pretty solid.