New Here? - Introduce Yourself

Drilltrash

Registered
I'm new to pool. Got a table from my in laws about a year ago. Started playing as much as I could. I live in Northern California and started going to the local pool halls in Chico and Yuba city (if anyone from the area looking for a few games hit me up) I travel for work so at least once a week I try to find a hall to go play at. Ive learned a lot from this site and YouTube videos. Thank you to all that put time, effort and knowledge on this site. It really does help the newer players out!

Dustin

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Longtime lurker, joined fairly recently. From western North Carolina. Bought a table in May of this year and on a mission to learn as much as possible about the game.

Hello,

Just so no one thinks I'm trying to trick anybody, my name is Jim and I live in Idaho. :smile:

I played pool or, most often, snooker almost every day, back in the late '60s through the mid '70s. Life got in the way and I have only recently decided I should try to get in a few more strokes before the run's over. Imagine my chagrin to discover how hard it can be to find a room these days. I haven't been able to find a snooker or carom table within 500 miles. (Of course, I do live out in the sticks.)

I do have a table project I hope to get going on, so, I expect to have some questions for the mechanical threads.

Regards, all,

Jim

Hello everyone. I thought I'd introduce myself after lurking on these forums off and on for the past couple of years (I finally registered yesterday). I'm from a small down in western PA. Compared to what I've read, I seem to be one of the young bucks on the forums. I took up playing pool probably 10-11 years ago. Bar pool actually. I didn't know much. I needed something to do besides drink. A few of my friends talked me into joining a pool league about 5 years ago. I played a year then took a year long break. I got back into it and after watching people and learning from the better players in the area, I seem to be holding my own. I'm a few balls off from my goal of 30 8-ball breaks this year. I play maybe 15 games a week, so I'm very much an amatuer. I've made it to a couple of regional and state pool tournaments. I'm currently playing with a McDermott G224, a Rage Jump/Break, and a McDermott Lucky as a backup. They seem to be doing me quite well so far. I hope to be playing for years to come.

Hi...I joined a few days ago asking for help in identifying an old cue. The forum was very helpful. At the end of that thread I gave a little history of playing in the Games Room, at Cal Berkeley in the late 60's to early 70's...including encounters with luminary pool figures Bob Jewett, Phil Capelle and even Willie Mosconi!
I'd bet there are others out there who recall "Stoney" the one armed house man?

I've been checking this page out for quite sometime and would like to say hello to everyone. I used to play a lot when I was a teen but my work took over my life so I haven't been shooting pool as much as I wanted to.

I'm 32 from PI and just recently bought my first cue (Al Bautista) and looking forward to improve my game. Happy hustlin everyone!

I'm new to pool. Got a table from my in laws about a year ago. Started playing as much as I could. I live in Northern California and started going to the local pool halls in Chico and Yuba city (if anyone from the area looking for a few games hit me up) I travel for work so at least once a week I try to find a hall to go play at. Ive learned a lot from this site and YouTube videos. Thank you to all that put time, effort and knowledge on this site. It really does help the newer players out!

Dustin

Welcome to the forum guys.
I'm not the normal welcome wagon; I guess those guys are busy with the US Open and who makes it to Mosconi. (stay tuned for that one!!)

At any rate, feel free to ask/contribute, just keep it sane. Everyone has opinions and you are entitled to them within the rules of AZB.

That said: There are some very experienced ppl here along with some gifted instructors who are happy to help others. Searches can answer many common questions. Have fun ! :smile:

oh,.....
And if some guy named Tramp comes along offering a bus trip to Matilda Iowa it might be worthwhile to hold out till he offers the cruise to Aitutaki.You'll probably get a free T-shirt. :thumbup:

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys. A Filipino snooker player here from Singapore. Been reading these forums for quite some time now. As you might guess from my profile name, I'm a fan of both Efren and Ronnie. Been working to develop a stroke that incorporates both of theirs--so far I'm not doing too bad :thumbup:

Looking forward to contributing here!

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning, I joined a month or so ago when I inherited a pool table that my father and I built together back in the late 70's. He passed away and now I'm looking at restoring the table, tightening the pockets, new cushions and structural upgrades with new pockets. It has leather drop pockets, but when we were disassembling I noticed that the leather baskets were coming apart, so I will be replacing at least the bottom portion of those to. I grew up in Kentucky and used Steepleton tables from the local pool room to get the specs I needed, so yes the pockets are big. My goal with this project is to make it look good and still play as close to a Gold Crown as possible. It is made of Walnut from my grandfather's farm and the frame is made from oak, while the sub rails are made of poplar. I may upgrade the frame to either hickory or mahogany. Anyway thanks for allowing me to hang out and gain some much needed mechanical knowledge.

dnbnt

Just a little "stituos"
Silver Member
OK, will try not to bore too much. Born & raised in Wis., started pool around age 6 (over 50 yrs. ago). Played leagues here and in CA. up till the 90's. Realized that while playing leagues & tourneys I was no longer enjoying myself. The game had lost its fun for me. Now just play bank the 8 with some old friends on Fri. nites and came to realize that when just playing for the table I cheer for my opponents and can enjoy the game again. My Dad was a very good player from Hammond IN. and started me well.

Also would like to thank all of the great contributors to this very informative site.

Dave

Pierce24

Registered
Hey, new guy here. Thought for my first post I should say hi.
I've been shooting league for about ten years now, I'm nothing great, just a guy who likes to shoot pool and have a whiskey or two with some friends.

Last edited:

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,
My name is Kevin Lennon. I live in Scranton, PA. I have been reading and following this forum for a long time. I may have had an account here in the past from a different email address I no longer can access so I created a new account. I practice regularly on a beat up sportcraft 7' table until I can upgrade in the near future. Thanks for having me here

ChicagoJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats up everyone, my name is Jay I am new to the forums. I use to play a lot about 20 years ago. Decided to start playing again recently. From what I can tell from the last few trips to the pool hall is that I have a lot of rust to work off in my game. I played 8 ball back in the day, but have been working on 9 ball recently. However I do enjoy both.

poolplaya1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is probably a good place to ask a question. Where is the action room? I don't see it. Do I need more posts?

thanks

jhev1

Hello from CT

Hi everyone,

My name is John, I played for years growing up, got married & took 15 years off. I played maybe once every couple years during that time. Now I'm back in the APA and playing again. Boy is there a lot of rust!! Anyway, been lurking around here for a while but recently registered. See you around!

Railbird Hero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome.

Welcome to the new members. I hope everyone enjoys their time here. I've met incredibly good folks. I may not post often, but I do pop in and read the threads when I can. Wish everyone a happy holidays. Cheers.

burgessdg

New here, great site!

Hello to all. Thanks to those who created and contribute to this site.

A little about me? Started shooting in the 60's with a finished basement that included an 8 foot Montgomery Ward pool table. 3/4" pressboard, blue felt, but it was all ours. Yes and a pole to shoot around LOL. 7 boys, lots of fun for years. We did have a nice pool hall in the bowling alley about a mile away that we frequented when we had the $1.20 per hour for the tables. 15 tables, all Brunswicks. Half were Anniversary models, the other half were newer models that were colored formica, not real wood, kinda wedge shaped and functional, not pretty. All were 9 footers, all were true. As the Anniversaries were worn, they were replaced with the formica models. I think last time I was there in the late 70's all the Anniversaries were gone, by the 80's they expanded the bar and dropped to 9 tables.

My first purchase from my first job was a 2 piece stick from Minnesota Fats for $13. Still have it, still use it, same leather case.

When I was 14, I paid for my table time by "hustling" 20-30 year olds whose ego could not take a 14 year old kid beating them at 8 ball. Kinda fun, once in awhile dangerous. There was most always someone in the hall that knew me, or one of my older brothers, so not too dangerous...

When I designed my house in the 80's I knew I would have a 9 footer some day, hopefully an Anniversary. As such, my family room is 19 x 33, planned, for the table at the far end. Early 90's, Pizza joint in town was closing, they had a 9' Hanson Billiards table that I would shoot on with my kids while we were waiting for pizza. My wife asked the owner what he was going to do with the table. He said he needed to get rid of it. A deal was struck. Happy Anniversary hubby. Don't know much about the table except it is 3 piece slate, I broke it down and put it up. All wood, except at corners and side pockets are polished aluminum, and top of rails is simulated wood (Formica). Still on my list to refinish it and install new felt.

Plaque says "Hanson Billiard Supply, Top Line Tables, Chicago Illinois. (Has an 8 ball just ahead of the Top Line tables) Anyone has any info about Hanson tables I would appreciate it.

Thanks for allowing me in, sorry my story was more than a little:grin:

mclordstephen

Registered
New here

Hi I,m Steve
I just recently inherited some pool cues from my faster-in-law. I don't know a lot about them other than he got them from his brother and his brother passed away in 1993. (none of these cues have been used since 1993) He used to live with the owner of hard times billiards in the L.A. area for some time. Two of the sticks I have verified as a late 80s barbell ginacue and D-26 McDermott. I am trying to verify what I believe is a Al Ramero Sneaky pete and another that just has a gold cross and no other marks that I can find, I have pictures but don't know how to post them, Any help is appreciated thanks.https://photos.google.com/

Last edited:

cueassembler

Registered
Intro

Hi,
I am in Michigan, retired, and making a few cues as a hobby. My other interests are hunting, fishing and of course playing pool. I play 8 ball in a league and a few local tournaments.

Leonard

Attachments

• IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,115

Rshoe

Registered
I have been lurking for some time, figured it is time to buck up and join. My dad introduced me to pool and I got hooked. I played any chance I could get.

It had been 10 years since I last really played before I took it up again in 2014. Life just got in the way, but no I have been back at it when time permits.

I have come here to learn more about the game and help myself improve now that I am back at it.

Willieboy

Registered
New old giuy here.

I'm a really old guy. I have not played in many years, but have recently picked up my cue in an effort to reclaim some measure of my severely eroded skills. I was introduced to the game by Moses when we were in Egypt together a few years ago.

Bill

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a really old guy. I have not played in many years, but have recently picked up my cue in an effort to reclaim some measure of my severely eroded skills. I was introduced to the game by Moses when we were in Egypt together a few years ago.

Bill
Welcome aboard WB, do you still have your birth certificate after all these years?

My experience with those clay tablets hasn't been a good one.