In Maryland, D.C., and Virginia area, where do folks go during the week to play pool?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Jam, 999's is OK place. I do have to say..... the tables . .. not great imo. I actually don't even know what kind they are other than full size lol. They have been there since at least when I was a kid. In the afternoons it's usually a packed house with all table full, but I'm sure someone would give you and Keith their table. They also have edible food if you get hungry. You will run into some old friends too that hang there - Bo Newport, Reggie just to na,email a few. Not sure exactly what yall looking for; but if I didn't need a bar and the choice was between Tip hat or 9's it would be Top Hat every time. Btw, Cigar Tom has started working back at Top Hat again.

It's a good place for a fun and sometimes frustrating Saturday tournament. They generally have over 30 players in the field and its running on only 8 tables concurrent with a smaller tournament for APA SL 5 and lower on the same tables. So expect to cool down due to a nice wait between matches...

...but the company there is good. Met a lot of good players and nice people since hanging out there. Made some cool friends.

As for the tables, They have 1 Black Gold Crown 4, 1 Gold Crown 3, and the rest are Brunswick Century 9 foot tables. They have a few Valley boxes up in the front in the bar area. The gold crowns play right. The Centurys, not so much. Pockets are cut funny. From the middle of the table you have all the room in the world in the hole, from the rail, the pockets are cut open with the deep shelf, the ball hangs very easy. Plus the Centruys site about 2 inches lower then most tables I have played on. Doesn't sound like much, and it isn't, but it definitely takes some adjusting, especially when down on the long straights.

Another small issue I have is the lack of consistent equipment. Like I said, they use 8 tables for the tournmanet and 2 are gold crowns they play well at regular height. The other 6 are the Centurys that sit lower. All have different grades of cloth. Some play fast, others play like my front lawn. The ball sets are mix matches and it's tough to get a good rack sometimes ad they also use different cueballs per table. One table you might get a red circle, next table you might get one with the green aramith logo, next table to get the heavy ass red dot that is hard as shit to draw accurately adn wont stop rolling on a follow shot.

The guys that run the tournament do the best they can with what they have to work with in regards to the few tables. I know some people have had a problem with them, but I havent. Left my jump cue there one week and wone of them picked it up afor me and held it until the following week. Good people as far as I'm concerned.

With all the being said, and knowing what to expect when you go there, it is a fun tournament. Race to 3 Loser break. 8ball in winners side, 9ball on losers side. Rack your own if you want too. BCA rules, 8 on snap doesnt count. 9ball side tex express with no 3 foul rule. It's the only regular 9 foot tournament around since Big Daddy's went south and it gives you something fun to do on a Saturday night if you dont have much else going on. Can get a tough field, but race to 3 and loser breaks still makes it interesting. Hacks like myself can get lucky here and there.

I used to go to the tournament weekly, but im gonna make it monthly instead and just go shoot at Top Hat instead for the other Saturdays of the month. They just added a nice bar with a good kitchen menu. All gold crown 3s that play great with some really tight ones up front (Tables, 2, 3, 10, and 11).

Top Hat is probably one of the best poolhall in the state. Upscale and clean. Good people, always find some action, especially in 1 hole and I'm sure you and Keith know a few people that are the regulars there. other then myself of course :)

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a good place for a fun and sometimes frustrating Saturday tournament. They generally have over 30 players in the field and its running on only 8 tables concurrent with a smaller tournament for APA SL 5 and lower on the same tables. So expect to cool down due to a nice wait between matches...

...but the company there is good. Met a lot of good players and nice people since hanging out there. Made some cool friends.

As for the tables, They have 1 Black Gold Crown 4, 1 Gold Crown 3, and the rest are Brunswick Century 9 foot tables. They have a few Valley boxes up in the front in the bar area. The gold crowns play right. The Centurys, not so much. Pockets are cut funny. From the middle of the table you have all the room in the world in the hole, from the rail, the pockets are cut open with the deep shelf, the ball hangs very easy. Plus the Centruys site about 2 inches lower then most tables I have played on. Doesn't sound like much, and it isn't, but it definitely takes some adjusting, especially when down on the long straights.

Another small issue I have is the lack of consistent equipment. Like I said, they use 8 tables for the tournmanet and 2 are gold crowns they play well at regular height. The other 6 are the Centurys that sit lower. All have different grades of cloth. Some play fast, others play like my front lawn. The ball sets are mix matches and it's tough to get a good rack sometimes ad they also use different cueballs per table. One table you might get a red circle, next table you might get one with the green aramith logo, next table to get the heavy ass red dot that is hard as shit to draw accurately adn wont stop rolling on a follow shot.

The guys that run the tournament do the best they can with what they have to work with in regards to the few tables. I know some people have had a problem with them, but I havent. Left my jump cue there one week and wone of them picked it up afor me and held it until the following week. Good people as far as I'm concerned.

With all the being said, and knowing what to expect when you go there, it is a fun tournament. Race to 3 Loser break. 8ball in winners side, 9ball on losers side. Rack your own if you want too. BCA rules, 8 on snap doesnt count. 9ball side tex express with no 3 foul rule. It's the only regular 9 foot tournament around since Big Daddy's went south and it gives you something fun to do on a Saturday night if you dont have much else going on. Can get a tough field, but race to 3 and loser breaks still makes it interesting. Hacks like myself can get lucky here and there.

I used to go to the tournament weekly, but im gonna make it monthly instead and just go shoot at Top Hat instead for the other Saturdays of the month. They just added a nice bar with a good kitchen menu. All gold crown 3s that play great with some really tight ones up front (Tables, 2, 3, 10, and 11).

Top Hat is probably one of the best poolhall in the state. Upscale and clean. Good people, always find some action, especially in 1 hole and I'm sure you and Keith know a few people that are the regulars there. other then myself of course :)

Top Hat is definitely a place we're going to check out. You're right, though, in that I'm sure we'll know a few of the regulars. I haven't seen many of them in a long time. It will be a fun trip. :)

I'll take some photos if they allow me to. Some, believe it or not, in this day of Internet still like to try to fly under the radar. :grin-square:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ba1-bb23-119f252c3e57/?utm_term=.b077bc1bde8c

Pool Lines Their Pockets

By Ned Corrigan November 3, 1983

They came from all over and it seemed they all had nicknames: "Seattle Sam" Trivette and Fletcher (Tucker) Shephard, former Virginia champions; Mike (Geese) Gerace, the current Maryland champion; Steve (T-Shirt) Moroffko, Frank (West Virginia) Kroll and Gregory (Radar) Cattaneo.

"You can't be a pool player without one," said Doug Kelly of the monikers. Kelly didn't need one because he was one of the directors of the tournament that determined the area's best nine-ball player.

The scene was the "Let's Play Games" pool hall in Rockville, where players from as far away as West Virginia came brandishing their sticks and their reputations. For two nights last week, a field of 32 players competed for $550 in prize money, a first-place trophy and satisfaction in knowing they were the best.

The field included five women, all of whom lost in the first round. "The women all played well, but the competition was stiff," said Richard Allen, tournament director.

The spectators were wall-to-wall to watch the players bank and spin the balls around the green felt table. The object of the game is to sink the nine ball before your opponent does. The nine ball can be driven into one of the six pockets either by first taking off the balls numbered one through eight in order, or by using one of those lower numbered balls, in proper order, to bank in the nine. The first player to win six games advances.

The competition was stiff. Seattle Sam and Tucker Shephard were eliminated in the second round.

In the end, it came down to a shootout between Geese Gerace and Danny Wohlford, who both make their living playing pool. "In the finals, it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop," said Kelly.

"I was a little nervous," said Geese. "It was a tough field and anybody could have won. Whoever gets the shots is going to win." When the smoke had cleared, Geese had defeated Wohlford six games to three and collected the huge champion's trophy and the $300 first prize. Wohlford got $100 for second place.

Geese, 32, has spent many hours honing his craft. "I do this most of the time," he said. Geese praises the movie "The Hustler" for accuracy and says that there have been times when his own life paralleled that of the Paul Newman character who hustled the legendary Minnesota Fats.

"I had a chance to get my thumbs broken in a lot of spots," Geese recalled. "But I want you to understand that it's a gentleman's game. But there are some places you don't want to go. Tournaments are the best way to play."

Geese calls pool a "growing sport. There are more state tournaments now than there's ever been."

"Let's Play Games" owner Richard Allen also sees an increase in the popularity of pool. "We're trying to do with pool what was done with bowling," Allen said. "When I was growing up I wasn't allowed to go into a bowling alley; they were dark, underground places. Now they're called bowling lanes and they're clean. I wasn't allowed to go into pool halls, either. We trying to change that old-fashioned image. We want a family-style atmosphere here, where a man could feel comfortable bringing his date or his wife."

For many players and spectators the real "action" begins when the tournament is over and the players challenge each other in private games.

"That's where the big money is," Kelly said. CAPTION: Picture 1, Gregory (Radar) Cattaneo concentrates during competition in Rockville. Picture 2, For two nights last week, 32 players competed to determine the best nine-ball player in the area. The winner received $300 and a large trophy.

Aw, Radar. He used to shoot at Hank Dietle's on the Pike, my alma mater of pool.

I thikn I have this article. I put inside the leg of my pool table, like a time capsule, so that somebody would find it after I die. I hope whoever does find it is a pool fan and will appreciate what I put in that leg of my pool table. ;)

Danny Wolford used to be one of the best barbox players in Maryland. He went on a road a lot.

Great pool read! :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's Radar, Tom-Tom, Jimmy Mac, and Richard Allen.

I saw Richard Allen not so long ago in the mall. He had long hair. I mean really long. I wouldn't have recognized him at first glance. He always treated me right. I like Richard.:)

Attachments

• Radar, Tom-Tom, Jimmy Mack, Richard Allen at 86 MD State Tournament.jpg
    Radar, Tom-Tom, Jimmy Mack, Richard Allen at 86 MD State Tournament.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 248

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aw, inside a leg...

Danny Wolford used to be one of the best barbox players in Maryland. He went on a road a lot.

Great pool read! :)

I put gravel and dirt inside my leg. Hope it isnt there for anyone else to own later!:grin-square:

Danny came through arlington one evening an i played him until the next day. We battled and i could tell he played well, but i kept winning, a few games ahead every hour.

He never asked to raise the bet and i didnt have to pay pool time or be anywhere, ever...and i ended up like 20-30 games winner.

We chatted a bit and he told me it was the first pool he played in over a year. I was playing good pool then, so i definitely would not have liked any part of an in-gear rockville danny.

bbhistorian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Second row from top. ?, ?, ?, ?, ?

Somebody fill in the holes! :D

I see Jackie Robinson in row 2!

When I first worked at Champions in Laurel, Jackie and I shared the Keno counter position. :love2:

This thread brings back memories for sure. Thanks, JAM!

Riggie wanted to take me to Texas...
"Why Texas, Riggie?"
"They have the best ham in Texas, Miss Wonderful, the best ham."
"You in the mood for ham, Riggie?"
"I'm not. But if I was in Texas I would be." :rotflmao1:

One day Riggie said proudly, "Hey Miss Wonderful, look at this."
Between his thumb and forefinger he had two coins.

Probably shouldn't have, because it was so simple, but it took me years to figure out he was trying to tell me he had two nickels to rub together.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ww, the old Bill & Billies ( Jack & Jills ) is where I came up and was my home room. Geese was awesome and funny as hell. I learned one pocket from him. The only real competition for Geese in the State tourney was my buddy Cigar Tom. Tom won it like 9 years in a row or something and he's told me Geese was always the only one he worried about . I remember Gentlemams when it was owned by Nick Frank ( also had Northpoint billiards and Top Hat - at the time, he is now passed ). Gentleman's was across the street from on of Barry Greenbergs rooms, I say one of because he lost several along with millions of dollars gambling . That name of that place was Greenies. Do you remember that place or him at all?

Geese was great and Geese was a character, but he was lucky that the late "Little Nicky" Vlahos went up to Boston when they were still both teenagers, because Geese couldn't have beaten Nicky in one pocket or straight pool without a decent spot. Check out the archived Accu-Stats match between Nick and Earl if you've never heard of him, and this was when Nick hadn't been playing straight pool for quite some time.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Here's Radar, Tom-Tom, Jimmy Mac, and Richard Allen.

I saw Richard Allen not so long ago in the mall. He had long hair. I mean really long. I wouldn't have recognized him at first glance. He always treated me right. I like Richard.:)

Great picture. I still miss Jimmy Mac. Played the weekly nine-ball tournaments with him in Champions Shirlington in the early 90s. A lot of people don't realize that Planet Pool got going because Jimmy took the effort to start what he called the Mid Atlantic Regional Circuit in about 93 or so, because there were competing local tournaments.

Jimmy could play, and he would also share some knowledge with you, which a lot of good players won't do. I always thought he looked like a bit of a combination of James Dean and the Fonzie, probably with some other characters thrown in.

All the best,
WW

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great picture. I still miss Jimmy Mac. Played the weekly nine-ball tournaments with him in Champions Shirlington in the early 90s. A lot of people don't realize that Planet Pool got going because Jimmy took the effort to start what he called the Mid Atlantic Regional Circuit in about 93 or so, because there were competing local tournaments.

Jimmy could play, and he would also share some knowledge with you, which a lot of good players won't do. I always thought he looked like a bit of a combination of James Dean and the Fonzie, probably with some other characters thrown in.

All the best,
WW

I remember one time when Geese and I went to the Montgomery County Fair in Gaithersburg, MD. We saw Jimmy Mack there with his kid. Jimmy pulls me aside and tells me how to win on the crooked pool table at the fair. And he was right. I won the biggest stuffed animal ever! :grin-square:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember one time when Geese and I went to the Montgomery County Fair in Gaithersburg, MD. We saw Jimmy Mack there with his kid. Jimmy pulls me aside and tells me how to win on the crooked pool table at the fair. And he was right. I won the biggest stuffed animal ever! :grin-square:

And most probabl wouldnt know, but jimmy mac retired from service with a local government, for whom i also worked.

His accomplishments as a civil servant were recognized by his superiors and publcally, by his customers.

He was a strong player and a good human.

Also featured in mccumbers book, running the table (whatever he called it :shrug:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geese was great and Geese was a character, but he was lucky that the late "Little Nicky" Vlahos went up to Boston when they were still both teenagers, because Geese couldn't have beaten Nicky in one pocket or straight pool without a decent spot. Check out the archived Accu-Stats match between Nick and Earl if you've never heard of him, and this was when Nick hadn't been playing straight pool for quite some time.

Nicky, Stu, and New decker were before my time . I have however heard plenty about each and I did know Newdecker, although WAY past his prime. Everyone mentioned were stone cold champions so would be hard to bet against any of them, but I can tell you ANYONE spotting Geese in one hole is something I would have to see.

All the best,
WW

I was pretty sure Danny Green started Planet Pool or am I thinking of something else?

Hit the rack dead on but very easy with a tip of high English 😆. I used to bust out that game down Ocean City, Giving away the huge stuffed animals to every hot chic I saw ( not like I was gonna carry it around anyway lol ). But first they end up putting a two a day limit on me, then banned lololol.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nicky, Stu, and New decker were before my time . I have however heard plenty about each and I did know Newdecker, although WAY past his prime. Everyone mentioned were stone cold champions so would be hard to bet against any of them, but I can tell you ANYONE spotting Geese in one hole is something I would have to see.

I was pretty sure Danny Green started Planet Pool or am I thinking of something else?

Hit the rack dead on but very easy with a tip of high English 😆. I used to bust out that game down Ocean City, Giving away the huge stuffed animals to every hot chic I saw ( not like I was gonna carry it around anyway lol ). But first they end up putting a two a day limit on me, then banned lololol.

Yes, Danny Green did start Planet Pool.

You'll never guess who I just became FB friends with: Wayne Collins. Now, there's a Marylander player from the past. He's now living in Alabama.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

You're absolutely right, Danny started Planet Pool, but the reason I mentioned Jimmy Mac in that is that I don't think it would have happened without Jimmy starting the MARC a few years before. Then, there were tournaments in Shirlington, Rockville, Laurel, and Herndon, to name a few,, that were uncoordinated, sometimes happening on the same nights, which limited the field. I think the fact that Jimmy started the MARC led to Danny starting Planet Pool later on. Maybe it would have happened anyway, can't say for sure. There's other morphing involved too, I have to admit. The MARC was doing pretty good for awhile, so it was either taken over or bought in some way by the McDermott tour. But anyhow, I give Jimmy some credit, as he was the first to get a major area circuit going in those days.

And I agree with you. Anybody giving Geese a spot would have to have mashed potatoes for brains. I'd like to see it. Maybe in nine ball, but not in straight or one pocket.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're absolutely right, Danny started Planet Pool, but the reason I mentioned Jimmy Mac in that is that I don't think it would have happened without Jimmy starting the MARC a few years before. Then, there were tournaments in Shirlington, Rockville, Laurel, and Herndon, to name a few,, that were uncoordinated, sometimes happening on the same nights, which limited the field. I think the fact that Jimmy started the MARC led to Danny starting Planet Pool later on. Maybe it would have happened anyway, can't say for sure. There's other morphing involved too, I have to admit. The MARC was doing pretty good for awhile, so it was either taken over or bought in some way by the McDermott tour. But anyhow, I give Jimmy some credit, as he was the first to get a major area circuit going in those days.

And I agree with you. Anybody giving Geese a spot would have to have mashed potatoes for brains. I'd like to see it. Maybe in nine ball, but not in straight or one pocket.

All the best,
WW

Lolol, the McDermott Tour! Boy I had some good times there! Usually Action Billiards down in Salisbury. Never had any intentions of doing any good in tourney but was tons of good action there for me - loved it! A bunch of us would go down and it would be the biggest party before leaving Bmore all the way down, the whole weekend, and when we got back. Partied hard - good old days 😊. Actually made a thread on here about one of those weekends - but my boy getting a pole up his ass ( literally ).

Wayne Collins lolololol. I like Wayne. We were friends when he was up here. I actually staked him quite a bit. NEVER WON ONCE LOL!. He's a really strong player , but it was this one time that .... just broke him. Not money wise but as a player . It's been awhile, but either I was staking him or I was in staking playing I think Jeremy Jones with the free7. Can't remember but it might have been a skunk. But IT WAS BAD. He never played the same after that night. But none the less I always likes wayne. He used to work with me in my 9 ball game, I picked up that funny slip stroke he uses lol. I don't think I've seen him since 07, 08.

As far a Geese, well nuff said really. Not only were the top guys in the world not looking to play him, a spot??? Lololol

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We get some good shiiid flowing about the mid Atlantic.

I'd like to be able to revisit sometimes.

I will throw you one more: first time I had an extended exchange with Buckles was in Georgia ave champions. I was there with my buddy, Knuckles. Must have been 17-19 and he was fun to party with, but a bit uptight.

He had a nice 70 ss camaro and we parked in the used car lot next door. Well, Knuckles has to be home at a certain hour, or it is trouble...for him:grin-square:. Surprise! There is a fat chain across the lot.

Buckles comes out and we chat about the situation. He says he has it taken care of, comes back in his jeep, with a tow chain. Wraps chain around offending barrier and rips it away, pulling the pole to which it was grounded from its roots.

Off we drove and I am sure Knuckles got grounded, but he did keep his camaro.

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We get some good shiiid flowing about the mid Atlantic.

I'd like to be able to revisit sometimes.

I will throw you one more: first time I had an extended exchange with danny green was in Georgia ave champions. I was there with my buddy, dean. Must have been 17-19 and he was fun to party with, but a bit uptight.

He had a nice 70 ss camaro and we parked in the used car lot next door. Well, dean has to be home at a certain hour, or it is trouble...for him:grin-square:. Surprise! There is a fat chain across the lot.

Danny comes out and we chat about the situation. He says he has it taken care of, comes back in his jeep, with a tow chain. Wraps chain around offending barrier and rips it away, pulling the pole to which it was grounded from its roots.

Off we drove and I am sure dean got grounded, but he did keep his camaro.

Lol, that's a good one!

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the Ted Gup article that Mike Page posted earlier in this thread, it looks like Champion Billiards in Silver Spring closed in 2005 (or possibly a bit earlier). Does anyone know when it opened? And did a pool hall exist in that location before Champion Billiards; if so, how long was it there?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the Ted Gup article that Mike Page posted earlier in this thread, it looks like Champion Billiards in Silver Spring closed in 2005 (or possibly a bit earlier). Does anyone know when it opened? And did a pool hall exist in that location before Champion Billiards; if so, how long was it there?

A pool hall did *not* exist in that Silver Spring location before Richard Allen opened up Champion Billiards in Silver Spring, MD. This was the very first Champion Billiards in the area. They were the largest pool talbe distributor on the East Coast at that time. In fact, when the movie people from "The Color of Money" were looking for pool tables for the Atlantic City scene, they contacted Richard, but another company bid lower for the job, so Richard didn't get it.

Richard was partners with Chris-something (can't remember, old age kicking in :embarrassed2:), and the two of them then opened up a Champions in Virginia, not to be confused with the Champions in the shopping center with the cop shop where Seattle Sam was working. This is the Champions located on the second floor that Billy Stephen once owned too. In fact, there still exists a Weanie Beanie hot dog stand down the street from it, last time I checked. :grin-square:

Before Champions in Silver Spring, which is where I worked graveyard shift, when all the action woudl take place :cool:, Richard owned "Let's Play Games" pool room in Rockville, which I think went under or he just closed it down.

Richard's family used to own a pool table distributorship on 14th Street in D.C. that sold these tables, which are not Brunswick. They don't make those tables anymore, and I can't remember the names of those tables either. I can find out, though.

The Champions in Frederick, MD that exists today is run by Richard's son Gary Allen. Here's a photo of him at the 1986 Maryland State Championship that I was the TD of. From left to right, Gary Allen's mother holding Gary, Rose, me, Chris (Mike Sigel's girlfriend), and Cigar Tom's wife with the neck brace. :grin-square:

Attachments

• SqueezeShot.JPG
    SqueezeShot.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 136