New John Schmidt run on Youtube

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't watched the whole thing, but the bank at 4:25 is one of the most remarkable shots I've seen in any game.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't watched the whole thing, but the bank at 4:25 is one of the most remarkable shots I've seen in any game.

I'm having trouble accepting that that shot was executed as planned. He was hitting down on the cue ball and I think he wanted to stop it so it wouldn't interfere with the banking ob, but he didn't hit down enough. John has said that he free wheels it until he gets to 100 at which point he starts paying closer attention.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm having trouble accepting that that shot was executed as planned. He was hitting down on the cue ball and I think he wanted to stop it so it wouldn't interfere with the banking ob, but he didn't hit down enough. John has said that he free wheels it until he gets to 100 at which point he starts paying closer attention.

If balls are frozen draw can be used to slow down cueball. I´ve made similar shots so I believe he tried it. Because it was only way to make a ball. :smile:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If balls are frozen draw can be used to slow down cueball. I´ve made similar shots so I believe he tried it. Because it was only way to make a ball. :smile:
Did you notice that the cue ball hit the object ball a second time by the cushion?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's the thing that makes me dubious of the shot. On the other hand if this is some kind of trick shot I've never heard of...
There is a frozen ball shot vaguely similar. The cue ball and object ball are angled into a cushion at about 45 degrees and maybe 12 inches out. The cue ball meets the object ball as it comes off the cushion and redirects it straight along the cushion. I probably haven't played it since the 80s. Depending on the angle and such, you don't aim exactly along the line of centers. If you play it with draw you can get some amazing action on the cue ball after the second contact.

But that is very different action than in the video.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know when this was recorded? Now, or years ago? When I saw the thread title, I thought it was the 300 plus run that John and Marop went back and did player commentary on, but it is obviously not.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Finally getting to watch this
That man knows how to move the damn cue ball like I've never see on a pool table

Top notch break out end of first rack when he had to
And yes bob the bank, awesome

I also never knew what to do if the cueball ends up inside the rack area ,

5inch pockets? Don't look like it

Love the American flag shorts

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Apparently John deemed the bank shot at 4:25 to be a foul, as it, and the previously pocketed 25 balls, were not counted. [Notice that John moved his rack-counting coin back to the "zero" point after pocketing the remaining 2 balls of that rack.] John then ran 25 full racks, plus 7 more balls on camera and (we are told), after the video died, 4 more balls.

2 + 25x14 + 11 = 363

At about 9:53, a ball actually didn't fall because of other balls already in the pocket. In actual competition that would not have counted, but for a practice run like this, no problem. [Or, for sticklers, view it as a 335.]

The run of 363 took about 90½ minutes (4.0 balls per minute), including racking 26 times, a 3½ minute break during rack 10, a 2 minute break after rack 15 to polish the balls and wipe the playing surface, and the distraction of the racker recording it on his phone camera throughout the run.

Just remarkable.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you notice that the cue ball hit the object ball a second time by the cushion?

Yes!
I have two shots where I use double kiss on trick shot on that video on my signature. I have fooled around with them quite a lot when I was really on trick shots.
https://youtu.be/33FuQkqA5_0?t=130
This shot is almost like John´s(same idea) but just not frozen on object ball. :smile:
Made shots on 8-ball games with that same shot or near same shot sometimes.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a frozen ball shot vaguely similar. The cue ball and object ball are angled into a cushion at about 45 degrees and maybe 12 inches out. The cue ball meets the object ball as it comes off the cushion and redirects it straight along the cushion. I probably haven't played it since the 80s. Depending on the angle and such, you don't aim exactly along the line of centers. If you play it with draw you can get some amazing action on the cue ball after the second contact.

Tom Kollins was a master of that shot.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have to call that shot a foul, as the CB followed right behind the OB all the way to the rail. If the balls were not frozen, it was an obvious foul, and even if they were frozen, I still think it was a foul. Just curious what John would say regarding that shot?

It was indeed very strange that he made it, as the OB appeared to double kiss off the CB back in to the rail at the perfect angle to complete the bank.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have to call that shot a foul, as the CB followed right behind the OB all the way to the rail. If the balls were not frozen, it was an obvious foul, and even if they were frozen, I still think it was a foul. Just curious what John would say regarding that shot?

It was indeed very strange that he made it, as the OB appeared to double kiss off the CB back in to the rail at the perfect angle to complete the bank.
Sorry, I've now read the entire thread which I should have done before posting, and see that John admits the foul and that he did not count those first nearly 2 racks towards his high run.

I'm glad he didn't edit that shot out of this video, as that shot was quite remarkable - foul or not!