Down Rail Shots- Worst Advice Ever?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
But the fact remains that if you do manage to hit the ball and the cushion at the same instant, contact-induced-throw will push the object ball into the cushion and you will miss the pocket completely for long shot, rattle the ball for medium shots, and maybe make the ball for short shots with ample pockets. Of course this assumes you do not have outside gearing side spin on the cue ball.

Telling a beginner to hit the ball and cushion at the same instant for frozen rail shots is very bad advice. It is better to tell them the truth.

So, you kind of agree with the original post? This might be a first for me on AZB! I'm really excited as I respect yours and Dr. Dave's opinions. I've added to the OP by including how I drill on this shot. Thanks.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have to have a special "overcutting" shaft to produce this shot, LD shafts will not give the required angle of entry due to their stiffness.
In addition, you must line up 45 degrees off center, and pivot into the shot.
I think someone is pulling our collective leg.

But perhaps the best advice is what the Miz said: ignore the cushion and shoot the ball into the pocket.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a shot that helps to understand how compressible the cushions are. The 1 and 9 are a chalk apart. The shot is to shoot directly at the 1 ball. The 9 goes straight in. Shoot firmly.

CropperCapture[12].png

PoppaSaun

Banned
But the fact remains that if you do manage to hit the ball and the cushion at the same instant, contact-induced-throw will push the object ball into the cushion and you will miss the pocket completely for long shot, rattle the ball for medium shots, and maybe make the ball for short shots with ample pockets. Of course this assumes you do not have outside gearing side spin on the cue ball.

Telling a beginner to hit the ball and cushion at the same instant for frozen rail shots is very bad advice. It is better to tell them the truth.

And yet, somehow, 13-year-old me very quickly figured out how to make the shot.

As for the CIT being a problem, it really isn't, except on very long shots. The CIT force pushing the ball into the rail is going to be very small, which means that the rebound is going to be extremely small.

PoppaSaun

Banned
Here's a shot that helps to understand how compressible the cushions are. The 1 and 9 are a chalk apart. The shot is to shoot directly at the 1 ball. The 9 goes straight in. Shoot firmly.

View attachment 461729

This is incredibly poor for demonstrating this. You know there is more going on (the ball being squeezed down the rail). You know you would never make that shot if you hit the cueball into that spot if the one weren't there.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've come to realize (been taught by a master) the worst advice for hitting down the rail shots is to "hit the ball and rail at the same time" thus trying to keep the ball frozen to the rail all the way to the pocket. A much better way is to hit the OB with a slight over cut. In other words, the OB should be moving out from the rail 1/2" to 1" by the time it hits the pocket. Hitting the shot this way allows hitting it hard and allows for any cling and CIT. This method also insures the OB will go past the side pocket points on the side rail shots. To practice this, I put a 4" piece of 3/4" PVC sprinkler pipe about 6 inches from the pocket tucked under the rail. Then with the OB on the rail, the ball will hit the pipe is it isn't out at least 1/2" to clear the pipe. Try this just shooting the CB into the hole with a shot that spreads out from the rail. Depending on your table, you might get away with as much as 1.5"-2" out with big pockets. I can get a little over 1" out with 4.5" corner pockets.

Too many variables not given. If object ball is frozen at a tight angle low inside rail first is the shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And yet, somehow, 13-year-old me very quickly figured out how to make the shot.

As for the CIT being a problem, it really isn't, except on very long shots. The CIT force pushing the ball into the rail is going to be very small, which means that the rebound is going to be extremely small.
The 13-year-old arm learned how to make the shot in spite of a wrong concept. Many players learn things they don't consciously understand.

CIT is a problem and can cause a shot only two or three diamonds long to miss. This is easy to demonstrate, and has been demonstrated many times. Check out Koehler's "Science of Pocket Billiards" for lots of info if you don't believe what's on Dr. Dave's site.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
.. You know you would never make that shot if you hit the cueball into that spot if the one weren't there.
I think you haven't tried the shot. Let us know how it goes. Including without the one ball.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
CIT is a problem and can cause a shot only two or three diamonds long to miss. This is easy to demonstrate, and has been demonstrated many times. Check out Koehler's "Science of Pocket Billiards" for lots of info if you don't believe what's on Dr. Dave's site.
For those who doubt the importance of throw, here's a good place to start:

throw tutorial page

And in relation to rail cut shots, see the rail cut shot resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

View attachment 461729

Thanks Bob. That reminds me of a great shot that many good players don't know. The cue ball and object ball are both on the rail inches apart and within a diamond of the pocket. You can actually shoot the cue ball into the rail (firmly again) directly behind the object ball and make it. This allows the cue ball to rebound off the object ball and roll up table and not be stuck on the rail. Maybe you can diagram that shot as well.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob. That reminds me of a great shot that many good players don't know. The cue ball and object ball are both on the rail inches apart and within a diamond of the pocket. You can actually shoot the cue ball into the rail (firmly again) directly behind the object ball and make it. This allows the cue ball to rebound off the object ball and roll up table and not be stuck on the rail. Maybe you can diagram that shot as well.

Something like this:

CropperCapture[14].png

Mike Massey was practicing this shot at the recent US National 3_Cushion Championship except it was as a 3-cushion draw shot. On a pool table put a ball in the pocket on the left.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Something like this:

View attachment 461738

Mike Massey was practicing this shot at the recent US National 3_Cushion Championship except it was as a 3-cushion draw shot. On a pool table put a ball in the pocket on the left.

Its like the 1pckt shot Grady would make the ball on the bottom rail and draw 4 rails around the table to get behind a ball close to his opponents pocket amd shoot it into his. Great stroke practice.

Jason

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Something like this:

View attachment 461738

Thanks Bob, I won't shoot it with the cue ball that far away from the object ball, mainly because I don't have the stroke for it, like you do. :thumbup:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob, I won't shoot it with the cue ball that far away from the object ball, mainly because I don't have the stroke for it, like you do. :thumbup:
Well, I don't think I'd try it on an Ernesto table, but 5" pockets will work.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The worst advice for these shots I've heard was to always go rail first.
Rail first hits are a solid option, but more often can get
over/under the object ball (for inexperienced players) and steer it away from the rail.
Not all cushions are the same firmness, and can compress deeper than intended. Until you become familiar with how a table rolls, just aim to make it.
Simply my humble opinion, but I'm preaching to the choir now. Lol.

Adding a touch of inside definitely puts some glue on the object ball, but you need a nice stroke, and be familiar in
aiming distances with inside english.
Something all players should practice anyway.

I just aim to cut the ball as if it were anywhere else.
"Like the rail isn't even there" was the phrasing taught to me as a kid. Works extremely well; for me anyway. Lol.

The simplified explanation cut my learning curve drastically,
as I recall, just by helping me absorb the aiming theory easily,
and visualize what needs to happen for consistent success with those long frozen cuts.

Last edited:

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something like this:

View attachment 461738

You hit this firm with dead right english, and aim to scratch- is how that was explained to me...
The cue ball compresses the rail and will
catche the english. Sending it up-table.

Last edited: