PREDATOR Willie Hoppe Commemorative LTD Edition Of 500

parismango

Banned
sailing along minding my own business and BAM!
from out of no where pops the PREDATOR HOPPE COMMEMORATIVE.
i thought you might like to see it.

Attachments

• 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 4,649

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
I haven't got one yet but I'm definitely thinking about it! Could you please take a few pictures of it please? (I have only seen the pictures of this cue on websites - until now Seybert's has had the best quality pic).

How do you like it - are the points and the sticker fine?

Thank you!

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity...

weren't the Hoppe cues full spliced? I mean, I know that this is just a representation and all, but can't remember if the original was full splice or not.

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
The cue is nice. The 314-2 is really nice, I really like it. There is a very noticeable difference between the 314 and the 314-2. Yes, the original hoppe was a full splice cue. The predator has full spliced points. The difference being that a true full splice would be a single piece of rosewood spliced into a single piece of maple (like a one piece house cue), wheras the predator just has the points spliced (not CNC inlaid into the forearm). So the purists may take issue with this distinction. I do not see the big deal here, but what do I know?:D

Overall I really like this cue, I think it is a nice looking and great playing cue with a cool vintage vibe. I have always drooled over nice titlest conversions that I have seen and tried. This is kinda an updated version with a good shaft for a good price.

The only issue I personally have was the quality of the wrap job. The cue has a leather wrap. I love leather and have other cues with leather wraps. The seam on this wrap was VERY noticeable, and you can even feel it when you hold it to play with it. Also the leather itself felt a bit thin and cheap. I contacted predator about this, and they claimed that the wrap was the way it was to try and duplicate the original hoppe cues. I told him that I felt the quality was unnacceptable, and he said he offered to have the cue wrapped with a different leather for free. I can't really complain if they will stand behind it and make an effort to make it right.

Maybe all the others are perfect and mine was just a bit off, or maybe I am just way too fussy. Either way, if they make it right it will all work out in the end. My first thought was that I could have it wrapped by Searing who has done my cues before, but then I thought that I should not have to pay $100 to wrap a brand new cue that retails for $800!

Oh well, if anyone cares, I will give updates on this. He said it will take about ten days to turnaround once he gets it. I have not shipped it yet. BTW I got #38 out of 500.

JIMMY L

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator Hoppe Cue & Case

We got ours in today and they are ready to ship. if you want to see pictures of the cue & case take a look at the link. If you are looking to buy one send us a email. We take Paypal Thanks

Link>>>> Predator Willie Hoppe Cue & Case

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
Thank's for Waldo's for taking some pictures of the cue!! It looks very-very-very NICE! (so does the 2?2 case!)

Edit: It just got into my mind: I've had pretty much the same problem with the P2. I've played with a friend's P2 Maple - and though he did not take good care of it (lots of dings and scratches and the leather wasn't in a good enough condition either) - I could see and feel the seam of the wrap and that's a bit of a pity on a 880 dollar cue...

Last edited:

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
Okay....

First of all, wasn't trying to start any beefs at all, just asked a question. But since I started something, I'll finish it as well...

As far as I'm concerned both the original and this Predator LE are full spliced.

The cues is a very, very nice representation of the Willie Hoppe cue, it really is, but, the key word is representation. This is not, let me say that again, NOT a full-splice cue, it's CNC. Take it for what it's worth.

The predator has full spliced points. The difference being that a true full splice would be a single piece of rosewood spliced into a single piece of maple (like a one piece house cue), wheras the predator just has the points spliced (not CNC inlaid into the forearm). So the purists may take issue with this distinction. I do not see the big deal here, but what do I know?

Great point, concerning the house cues, still though, like I mentioned before, it's not a full-splice cue. One case and point, the points on the cue are rounded at the end, which would suggest that they were done on a CNC machine. Spiced points always are and always have been made, with sharp points, plus, even with a wrap, the bottoms of the points, wouldn't have spaces between them. Full-splice cues, do not have these spaces that you see on this cue.

Folks are gonna be pissed/mad that I wrote this, but I'm not the only one who would say this. Yeah, mabey I am a purist, be initially, I was just asking a question and not judgeing the cue at all. I really like the cue, and think they made a damn good looking cue, but, don't say that it's full-spiced just becasue...

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
shoutout33 said:
First of all, wasn't trying to start any beefs at all, just asked a question. But since I started something, I'll finish it as well...

The cues is a very, very nice representation of the Willie Hoppe cue, it really is, but, the key word is representation. This is not, let me say that again, NOT a full-splice cue, it's CNC. Take it for what it's worth.

Great point, concerning the house cues, still though, like I mentioned before, it's not a full-splice cue. One case and point, the points on the cue are rounded at the end, which would suggest that they were done on a CNC machine. Spiced points always are and always have been made, with sharp points, plus, even with a wrap, the bottoms of the points, wouldn't have spaces between them. Full-splice cues, do not have these spaces that you see on this cue.

Folks are gonna be pissed/mad that I wrote this, but I'm not the only one who would say this. Yeah, mabey I am a purist, be initially, I was just asking a question and not judgeing the cue at all. I really like the cue, and think they made a damn good looking cue, but, don't say that it's full-spiced just becasue...

it's hard to tell from the pictures and i haven't had one on my hands but it looks like the points are inlaid like Bill Stroud does. if not than it's a short splice. FWI there can be a gap at the base of the points if it's been full spliced or short spliced. it all depends where the wrap is cut in on a full splice and where the maker cuts off the base on a short splice.

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
skins said:
it all depends where the wrap is cut in on a full splice and where the maker cuts off the base on a short splice.

Firstly, that's exactly what I wanted to say...

...Secondly: I'll post a link to a thread on the Seybert's forum whereas a Predator Rep. told us some info regarding the Willie Hoppe cue's construction - as far as I can remember she said that it is going to be a full spliced cue.

Finally, if I am not mistaken the SP series cues are full spliced too - at least that's what they claim.

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
shoutout33 said:

Hey, you should look closer before you make this claim. I peronally own one of these. THE POINTS ARE NOT ROUNDED. I do know the difference. I did make the distinction that as far as some purists go this is not a full spliced cue. However, these ARE NOT CNC inlaid points. I thought I made it pretty clear on the difference of opinion on what constitutes a "full spliced" cue. I made it clear that I understood the difference on each method of construction. While I think it is not a big deal either way, I can see where people will feel that is not technically a full spliced cue. It is also not a CNC cue. This is one of the things that appealed to me enough to buy one.

I agree that calling this cue a "full spliced " cue can be misleading. If it was me making a claim I would have described this cue as " a cue with spliced points". It is a bit more accurate. My feeling is that we are really splitting hairs here. Overall this cue is a very decent REPRESENTATION of an original hoppe cue. I agree 100% with your statement there. It is not meant to fool anyone, or to be confused with one. I like the original hoppe cues, I like predator cues, I do not care so much for CNC rounded points. This cue really seemed to fit the bill for me on all accounts. It is also a limited edition which is nice. Kind of a no brainer for me!

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
I, personally, totally agree with poolpro. The only difference is that I do care for rounded points and I have checked which type of points this cue comes with.
Like a fellow forumer on Sey's forum said, this cue is like a fancy Pred. SP. And that sounds weird but in my opinion it's true. [imo it is also doubtless that this particular cue has got a much better value and you get a lot more 'stuff' for your money - case, limited ed., great veneers and to me, for example, the feel of the '40s... but that's JUST me].
What is a fact though, is that this cue has got sharper points than a 5kX has. My friend has got a 5k3 and that cue comes with CNC cut points and though those are quite sharp (much sharper than a 4k7's) YET not as sharp as this LE's.
Another friend of mine has ordered one through me (I'm placing the order for him on Seybert's and I have counseled him to purchase one of these) so within a week or so (depends on shipping to Hungary and local bank transfers) I'll be able to compare these two cues - the LE and the 5k3. If you check the SP cue's points you'll see that those are NOT rounded either and those are declared to be full spliced cues. What is more is that, in my point of view, this cue is based on those SP Predator's construction; but that's just my suggestion.

Poolpro said: "If it was me making a claim I would have described this cue as a cue with spliced points"

As far as I know that would be a short splice cue (see picture).short spliced forearms.jpg

BUT as far as I'm concerned these Predator LE cues (just like the Sneaky Petes) are full spliced cues.

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
FYKI: A friend of mine has ordered one of these cues (#103) from Seybert's and it got here today... I received it and after an hour or so it was in my friend's hands so I haven't had much time to examine the cue but I spent a few minutes with and all I can say is: WOW!

This cue looks totally awesome, the veneers and the points are very-very nice, the leather feels good and the butt sleeve with the sticker on it looks great too - not to mention the engraved Willie Hoppe signature above the points and the brass joint! :)

I can honestly and strongly recommend one of these cues - and so I can recommend Seybert's for their exceptional customer service.

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
Yep, I think the weight and balance of the cue is very good. You say the warp was good? How was the seam?

BTW: The cue IS supposedly a FULL SPLICE CUE! Not short spliced, like I earlier believed. Just like the predator sneaky petes are FULL SPLICED cues. Those cues come with or without a wrap, so it is obvious on the ones with no wrap that it is indeed a full splice. Not that I would be disapointed either way, just thought I would throw it out there for all the bashers.

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
Hello!

Like I said the wrap seemed to be good and nicely done but I don't want to sound misleading so I'll make it as clear as possible: the seam was visible - not everywhere and where it was (on this particular cue!) it wasn't as serious as it was posted about another cue. I couldn't really feel it and in my newbie opinion you won't feel it either because you'll focus on how great that cue plays not on a 0.02 inch gap - there wasn't any difference in between the two ends height. So once again, you do can see the seam like you would see on a true Willie Hoppe professional cue.

As for the cue being full spliced: that is what I have been saying since the very first second, it truly is a full spliced cue and not even a short spliced one.

I would jump on one of these because they look very nice, the points and the veneers are very nicely executed and even and the veneer colors are great true.
The case was beyond my expectations, it was looking very-very classy. You may want to take into consideration that the case hasn't got any pocket to accomodate accessories yet you can put your chalk and a tip shaper on the top of the cues.

As for the balance: it was very good too but that particular cue felt a bit heavy to me at first, it was 19,50 (or maybe a bit over it) and all my cues I have owned since I've been playing pool (Don't laugh... my current cue, a 5k2 is my fourth cue) were all 19. oz.

I hope now you know everything about this cue! If you don't just send me a PM and I'll try to get the cue and look after what you would like to know.

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a copy of an email I received regarding Predator's Hoppe cue being a full spliced model.

John,

Thank you for your support in our company and our products. No sir the Hoppe is a four splice I do not believe that it is one piece throught the forearm and to the butt of the cue. Sorry about that.

Thanks again,

Mark Kurtiak
Predator Group
Customer Service
5505-5 St. Augustine Rd.
Jacksonville, Fl. 32207
1-888-314-4111

I bought 2 Hoppe Predator cues from Joe Nielsen aka www.joerackem.com and want to know if these LE Hoppe cues are full spliced with the rosewood being one piece thru the forearm down to the butt sleeve. By the way, love the hit, NICE JOB!!!

I own almost every model Predator built of the LE's and SE's in my personal collection.

Thank you,
John Marshall

Unless I missed the point the cue is a short splice. I almost am tempted to remove the nice leather wrap and check it out.

John

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
skins said:
it's hard to tell from the pictures and i haven't had one on my hands but it looks like the points are inlaid like Bill Stroud does. if not than it's a short splice. FWI there can be a gap at the base of the points if it's been full spliced or short spliced. it all depends where the wrap is cut in on a full splice and where the maker cuts off the base on a short splice.

The points are INLAID.

Don't know if the handle is a seperate piece.

If the handle and points are one piece what do we call it??:confused:

Interesting cue.....!!!

Love the design of the case,would be killer in leather.

Last edited:

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
This question is getting more and more confusing...

On Seybert's forum a Predator Rep. answered something like this to the question: "What does 4 spliced mean?"

She said that something like this: The cues are full spliced, sorry about the confusion.

At the same topic someone mentioned that he called Predator and they told him something else - not actually that it is full spliced.

On the other hand all the Predator SPs are full spliced... And if you look at it there's not much difference between a SP4RJL and the Willie Hoppe LE - veneer colors are different and it comes with a leather wrap instead of linen... oh, and there's a sticker on its butt sleeve.

I truly can't understand what is true and what is not about this cue. :(

Anyways, here's a picture I found about the splice of the SP cues - it is not the best picture as the whole butt is not on it...sp_groupie.jpg

Last edited: