APA sandbagging?

dundeewizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing in my local pool halls and bars winning quite often and cashing in tournaments. I have been offered to play on an APA team. It seems like great fun and I am willing to get a regualr game scheduled. I understand their is a rating system 2 worst and 7 best. New players will start as a 4 and my players are urging that I stay a 4 for the session or sessions. My response is that is sandbagging. Their's is no you do not have to lose but jsut soft break make the rack messy get plenty innings and still win the game and you will not go up.

1. Is that correct?
2. Apart from pride why wouldn't players do that especially since you want to have a chance of winning and going to nationals teams and doubles and apparently at the nationals everyone is a sandbagger is some respect.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

dundeewizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sandbagging. Did you really think it was otherwise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Well not initially because I do not know how strong the area is and what my rating will be. Some have said 5 other 6,7 guess depends when they have seen me play. The person who asked me to play is a 5 and he is real good. So either he is sandbagging too or I am actually a 4.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Thats APA for you, I see it every Wednesday... The system that apa goes by pretty much encourages it, people see others doing it and it causes them to do it.

-Drew

liakos

Banned
My opinion,,, sounds like your playing 8-ball!!! Break the balls and take ball in hand, if you run out 1 of 3 or better consistently, then your 6-7!!! If your running out 2-3, definitely 7!!!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Funny how most players that gamble are always on the lemon/sandbagging, but when done in the APA people are shocked. On the lemon at pool=$, sandbagging in APA=$ from nationals. Johnnyt

liakos

Banned
If your looking to sandbag, go for it, the league is full of them!!! It's a garbage league because of it!!! I like running my mouth when I see the baggers, :), most of em can't touch me on the table so I get to mess with them like they mess with system!!! The league idea is great, but some of the players ruin it!!! I like watching the 3's who know there 6-7's and I totally mess with them because I see what they are doing!!! My favorite saying,,,, "you got the balls to hustle the system but you seem to lose them when I ask you to play some";) love the look!!!!!!!;)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats APA for you, I see it every Wednesday... The system that apa goes by pretty much encourages it, people see others doing it and it causes them to do it.

-Drew

Personally, I'm not bored enough to spend 4 or 5 hours weekly at a pool hall or bar deliberately missing balls. There are much easier ways to get to Las Vegas, flights leave every day.

CantEverWin

"The One"
Silver Member
I'm not so sure I'd call it sandbagging except for the intention of staying at a certain skill level.
I don't play Apa anymore, but there were times as a matter of stratagy I would break "softer" to try and induce clusters, and have high inning matches. However, this wasn't to lag games out, but to help ensure my winning. If you break and play a ticky tack game, moving balls, I don't believe it's sandbagging IF you keep score correctly. If your not trying to pocket a ball on any shot, it should be marked as defensive. You can be a sl 7 and have a match with 50 innings.

As long as your playing to win, and keeping score properly your not sandbagging. If your trying to effect your rating when you play your doing something wrong. Even if your not successful.

Tell your captain you'll play to win, and you will make sure your score is kept properly. If he doesn't want you there anymore then that's not a team I'd want to be on. If they're sandbagging then it will reflect poorly on you as well.

CantEverWin

"The One"
Silver Member
My opinion,,, sounds like your playing 8-ball!!! Break the balls and take ball in hand, if you run out 1 of 3 or better consistently, then your 6-7!!! If your running out 2-3, definitely 7!!!

Really? If your beating the 8 ball ghost 2/3 times on a barbox your a pro who's not allowed to play in the APA.
Lol, everyone is a champion on the Net.

dundeewizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny how most players that gamble are always on the lemon/sandbagging, but when done in the APA people are shocked. On the lemon at pool=$, sandbagging in APA=$ from nationals. Johnnyt

What an excellent point, players are always saying I need weight or similar.
My opinion on this though is typically I do not break and run that often on the barbox so I break hitting 2nd ball trying to make the 8. This typically is conducive to a clustered table. Therefore go for a few pots 2 way shots stretagically move the bals around let the numpty try and get out then just clear up. Usually takes 4/5/6 innings. That'll keep me down but I am playing a strategy that I usually win with.

liakos

Banned
Really? If your beating the 8 ball ghost 2/3 times on a barbox your a pro who's not allowed to play in the APA.

I didn't think about the BB factor!!! Ok, maybe 1-5 and 2-5! I'm a B+ player and I'm oit 2-3 consistently on a 9ft!!! But also, factor in that I play all the games equally!!! 8-9-10-15ball rotation, one pocket straight pool!! They may give me the edge!!!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

100% correct.

Yes, OP, that would he sandbagging.

Play to win. Don't pad your innings. Any otherwise is sandbagging

Some people do it. Many don't. Up to you, when you look in the mirror, does it matter to you? You have to live with yourself first

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, keep your innings up win around 65% of the time, stay a 4 or a 5, get to vegas and crush it in the mini's. It's the apa way and anyone who complains about you sandbagging just doesn't get that the league is really just a ponzi scheme trying to get more teams to split to generate more revenue. GL with your endeavors. Cya in vegas :wink::thumbup:

CantEverWin

"The One"
Silver Member
What an excellent point, players are always saying I need weight or similar.
My opinion on this though is typically I do not break and run that often on the barbox so I break hitting 2nd ball trying to make the 8. This typically is conducive to a clustered table. Therefore go for a few pots 2 way shots stretagically move the bals around let the numpty try and get out then just clear up. Usually takes 4/5/6 innings. That'll keep me down but I am playing a strategy that I usually win with.

Again, if your truthful and keep score correctly you can play any style you'd like, and you WILL move up. That's exactly they style in which I played and had an extremely high winning percentage. Your handicap goes up. Even if you don't keep score, and consistantly win your going to move up. Might as well be honest and keep your integrity. Not much point in damaging your integrity to slow down the inevitable.

dundeewizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, keep your innings up win around 65% of the time, stay a 4 or a 5, get to vegas and crush it in the mini's. It's the apa way and anyone who complains about you sandbagging just doesn't get that the league is really just a ponzi scheme trying to get more teams to split to generate more revenue. GL with your endeavors. Cya in vegas :wink::thumbup:

can you win good money in the mini's ?

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind that in city, state or Vegas APA tournaments if you go up 2 skill levels you get forfeited out and the team you are on.

RonnieOSullivan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Guy on my team is the best player at the hall; he doesn't break and run in 8 ball nearly that often.

As far as bagging goes, it's lame as hell, anybody who cares about winning at APA to do as one poster above said, spend two hours scoring so they can miss balls, is lame. I mean, I don't call out "defense", but it's mainly because I feel like a doofus wasting my breath yelling "defense" when I'm trying to play pool; it ain't to lower my SL. (my SL is embarrassingly low right now anyway)

liakos

Banned

That's how I feel about the league too!!! I just being called a bagger!!! I guess if you don't care what people think,,, its full bagging ahead;)

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sandbagging is part of the format. My captain told me to miss some balls to keep my handicap low.

I quit playing APA, my integrity is important to me.