15 Ball Rotation vs 14.1 as a educational tool

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what things can 15 ball rotation teach you that 14.1 does not or vice versa? This is a question that was brought up during a hall visit recently and surprisingly enough, it really grew into a good debate. As you can guess, it was a lot of old timer 14.1 players debating a few 9 ball tour players.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9-10-15 ball rotation involves more safety play/kicking and less precise position play. 14.1 = patterns, breaking up clusters, precise position play especially at the end of the rack.

It isn't an either/or. You can learn from both.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
9-10-15 ball rotation involves more safety play/kicking and less precise position play. 14.1 = patterns, breaking up clusters, precise position play especially at the end of the rack.

It isn't an either/or. You can learn from both.
If you watch Efren run out racks of rotation, the precise position play is amazing. I guess it depends on how you try to play the game. Rotation ghost forces you to play far more precise position than 14.1.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. 400 would be a good one to ask

He often (maybe always) starts his 14.1 practice sessions by practicing rotation. He told me that it lets his stroke out quickly.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you watch Efren run out racks of rotation, the precise position play is amazing. I guess it depends on how you try to play the game. Rotation ghost forces you to play far more precise position than 14.1.

For playing the ghost of course you are correct at least early in the rack. At the end of a rack of rotation you can get away with area shape. Versus an opponent rotation develops kicking more than 14.1 and at the end of a rack I would assert you need more precise position on the last 2 or 3 balls than in 9 or 10 ball.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
german 14.1 ?

I did hear that in Germany the top players play straight pool - but the last five balls must be pocketed in numerical order ( I guess the 5 ball would be the lowest # ball possible for break ball, I have practiced this 14.1/rotation style and it is more challenging. I would argue that position in normal 14.1 becomes more difficult towards the end of frame. Maybe some one from Germany can add more info. as far as special rules etc.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think players should play all games. There are things to learn from one, that will help another. To include bank pool, one pocket, and 3 cushion.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did hear that in Germany the top players play straight pool - but the last five balls must be pocketed in numerical order ( I guess the 5 ball would be the lowest # ball possible for break ball, I have practiced this 14.1/rotation style and it is more challenging. I would argue that position in normal 14.1 becomes more difficult towards the end of frame. Maybe some one from Germany can add more info. as far as special rules etc.

Having a hard time understanding how this could work. Doesn't it mean that the break ball has to be the highest numbered ball left on the table when you get down to just five balls? No matter where it lies? And a similar problem with the key ball?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having a hard time understanding how this could work. Doesn't it mean that the break ball has to be the highest numbered ball left on the table when you get down to just five balls? No matter where it lies? And a similar problem with the key ball?

Not sure I see the problem, actually. If you plan ahead, you will make sure that your break ball is the highest number of the 5 left. Definitely makes things more challenging. I think the last of my worries would be where the key ball was located. You'd just have to make it work.

I'm looking forward to the day when 14.1 is so easy that I have to resort to this game!