Venom Trickshots II (the TV show) - Photography

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
As some of you may know, Florian (venom) and I went on a world tour in October, visiting 9 countries in our quest to film a sequel to his DVD. This time however, specially for TV.

Although I've been very busy with another project, I'm working hard editing the show, which will be delivered to Chinese networks in early April.

The following is a picture that I took at one of our filming location, the Rasson Billiards store, located in Nanchang China. Special thanks to Mezz Cues, Simonis Cloth, Kamui, and Delta 13 for making this happen. These are truly the best and most supportive companies in the industry.

Also note the table in the background. That is the new Rasson Victory table, which will be launched this year. I had the pleasure of playing on the prototype during filming. It really is the nicest table I've ever played on, combining the quality of a tournament table with a new modern edge.

More pictures to come soon.

venom2.jpg

Last edited:

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Couple more from our stop in Germany, at a pool hall called "the Flying Nine". Thanks to the incredibly kind and generous owner, Martin Swab!

venom3.jpg

The first (above) is my personal favorite.

venom4.jpg

This one (above) looks flat. Not a fan, but guys seem to love Adrianna. lol

venom5.jpg

Florian, Adrianna, and I after our 4th day of shooting.

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Looks awesome. I'm a fan of your work. The artistic look you have given the pool dvds with the effects you use are fantastic. I'm not a fan of trickshots really but I bought the first Venom DVD at the Expo in 2010 and I love it. The stuff he does combined with the production quality make it a great DVD. I own Break and Run as well which is one of the best instructional videos for higher level players I have ever watched.

Will this "sequel" be made available to audiences other then the Chinese ever?

Congrats on getting that on TV by the way. Hopefully it is successful and a third part will air in the US.

Last edited:

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nailed it......congrats!

Really nice work! Please give us a little insight on how you put this Florian-table shot(s) together.

Lighting looks perfect...:thumbup:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for sharing, Nathan. Keep up the AWESOME work.

(And see that Florian spends a little of his millions on some metal collar stays:)
F1KWIEMH3CS2Z0C.LARGE.jpg

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
I own Break and Run as well which is one of the best instructional videos for higher level players I have ever watched.

Will this "sequel" be made available to audiences other then the Chinese ever?

Congrats on getting that on TV by the way. Hopefully it is successful and a third part will air in the US.

Thanks! This sequel will be free to networks, so it's likely that it will be broadcast all over. Thus far I only mentioned China, as it's the only confirmed network that we approached. Once it's complete, we'll be shipping it off to more.

Really nice work! Please give us a little insight on how you put this Florian-table shot(s) together. Lighting looks perfect...:thumbup:

This was the only time on the entire trip where I had a controlled environment. The store that we shot it in was in a mall in China where they let us film throughout the night, which allowed me to have a bit more time to play with the lighting.

I used two softboxes together over to one side as the fill, and then a remote flash to the other side as the key. I had no rim light, but there was a row of recessed lights in the ceiling above the archway, which gave me the idea to shoot from a low angle. I was literally laying on the floor when I took this, and simply adjusted the height of the softboxes until the light reflected off the sides of the table.

Florian was covered in blue chalk, and the colors of the room were rather bland, so I simply used Photoshop to make them richer and enhance the lighting. I used a picture of stage light flares, set them to screen, and then used another picture of light beams to create the light pooling under the table. The rest I just did by masking various parts out by hand so that I could adjust the colors and brightness (for instance the floor was actually red, and the carpet white). Finally I added a glamor glow layer, and a curves adjustment layer. It's a bit overdone, but I sort of like it that way. Then again, I've certainly been wrong before. :p

Thanks again.

Is the girl gf of Florian?

No. Adrianna is a friend that I met in Canada when we were filming Venom I. She since moved to Barcelona, so I flew her to Germany for the sequel. Definitely one of the most genuine people I've met.

thanks for sharing, Nathan. Keep up the AWESOME work. (And see that Florian spends a little of his millions on some metal collar stays:)

Oh man. That's a great idea. I'll pass that suggestion along.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the work on the videos, have the Break and Run, Mika series, and have seen the Venom one over and over (it plays on a loop in one of the places I practice). Always on the lookout for future projects!
Scott