??? Full-splice cues ???

Rhino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,
I was wondering how hard it is to make a full-splice cue, if they are more expensive than a half-splice, and who are the better cue-makers that make full-splice player's cues??? Thanks in advance for the input.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
To a talented cue maker, making a full-slice cue would not, in all probability, be considered difficult to produce.
There are many out there who sell full-splice cues and blanks. Andy Gilbert, comes to mind, although I have heard they are only available in a finished cue.
I have owned, at one time or another, three John Davis full-splice blanks. His are as good as it gets. :smile:

Rhino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info.. I am looking for a finished cue by a reputable maker. Additionally, does anyone make 6-point full-splice veneered cues??? Just curious, never heard of anything but 4-pointers..

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member
Joel Hercek--- The best.

Vinnie...
Is it true ALL of Joel's cues are full splice? Including his gorgeous box cues? I thought I read somewhere on here that the forearms were sleeved over... Not sure if this is correct or just me making #$%@ up LOL...
Thanks for clarifying...
Clint

vinniebabarooch

Wanna Sell Your Hercek?
Gold Member
Silver Member
Vinnie...
Is it true ALL of Joel's cues are full splice? Including his gorgeous box cues? I thought I read somewhere on here that the forearms were sleeved over... Not sure if this is correct or just me making #$%@ up LOL...
Thanks for clarifying...
Clint

Hi Clint,
Yes it is true that they are all full splice. Joel starts out with a standard 4 point, 4 veneer full splice blank. Then he sleeves the forearm. So under the forearm is indeed 4 points with veneers.
Take care

n0th1ng

Son of the beach
Silver Member
forgive my noobness but what is the difference, in term of hit and feel, btw half and full and non splice cues?

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
You'd have to hit them both and feel it for yourself. 5 or 6 shots with one, then 5 or 6 shots with the other. Personally, I love the full splice hit. Go to Superiorcues.com and check out the Davis blanks and pick one out. Then talk to several cuemakers about making you a cue the way you want it using the Davis blank, check their reputations and costs, and follow your instincts. Many cuemakers are happy to use this blank if they don't make their own. Have fun!
:grin:

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Jerry Rauenzahn -R-

Jerry makes a great full splice at a very reasonable price with a short lead time. He makes 6 pointers as well. Here is a full splice Jerry made for me. It is #4. I believe he has made aboiut 50 now. I like a wrap so we used a double pressed black linen wrap.

Wedge

Attachments

• MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,412
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,422
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,477
  • MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,435
  • MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,523

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
You'd have to hit them both and feel it for yourself. 5 or 6 shots with one, then 5 or 6 shots with the other. Personally, I love the full splice hit. Go to Superiorcues.com and check out the Davis blanks and pick one out. Then talk to several cuemakers about making you a cue the way you want it using the Davis blank, check their reputations and costs, and follow your instincts. Many cuemakers are happy to use this blank if they don't make their own. Have fun!
:grin:

Thanks for the good word Ray. I just happened to add 10 more new John Davis blanks to the www.superiorcues.com site today--including lots of longsplice (meant to be wrapless) fullsplice blanks. I added 10 other blanks about a week ago. The selection of blanks has never been better. There are many cuemakers who are very excellent at working the blanks into good playing cues. I'd be glad to make recommendations for anyone interested in a John Davis fullsplice blank.

Martin

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Very, very nice cue

the very first Jerry -R- full splice 8 pointer with 4 veneers.

made to my specs.

Jerry is great to work with!!

DSC04279.jpg

DSC04286.jpg

And amen to Jerry is great to work wirh. I love the way he sends progress photo's of the cue while it is being built.

Thanks for sharing the photo's

Wedge

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I maybe the noobest, but some one, if you have pictures describing the full/half/none splice, pls show me. I cannot imagine the difference.

thanks a bunch.

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rauenzahn

Dittos for Jerry R cues. With 40 years experience the man can make anything you could dream up. His prices are very fair and he is a pleasure to work with. Did I mention they hit sooo good.

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Clint,
Yes it is true that they are all full splice. Joel starts out with a standard 4 point, 4 veneer full splice blank. Then he sleeves the forearm. So under the forearm is indeed 4 points with veneers.
Take care

Wow didn't know that. Am I the only on that finds this sounds like an odd or unusual practice. Please understand, I'm not criticizing just questioning as I'm curious about the details as I have admired his creations almost since I started playing. Has Joel ever given you his reasoning for having a veneered blank instead of just a plain full splice blank in the forearm of his box or art cues? Is that just his style or is there some real added function to having those veneers in there? Does he use specific colors or specific wood veneers for this function?

Thanks and good shooting to you

Kevin

azEddie

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Good stuff, Marty!!!

Thanks for the good word Ray. I just happened to add 10 more new John Davis blanks to the www.superiorcues.com site today--including lots of longsplice (meant to be wrapless) fullsplice blanks. I added 10 other blanks about a week ago. The selection of blanks has never been better. There are many cuemakers who are very excellent at working the blanks into good playing cues. I'd be glad to make recommendations for anyone interested in a John Davis fullsplice blank.

Martin

Full splice blanks are very time consuming and difficult to make. This is why many cue-masters only make a "half" splice (quicker to finish and only have to match up the "exposed" points) If you are looking to get a cue that hits great, but do not care about the inlays, go with a one piece cue! But, up until the 1930's, it was common for a cue to be one piece, and few shooters carried it around town, but since they did'nt just play at one room (mainly a "horse parlor" - thus "pool" hall/tavern) (they had it locked up at their room). So, getting tired of using different cues all the time, for transportabilty, 2 piece cues were made, and they caught on. (some did actually carry a full cue, with case to different halls) A 2 piece cue with zero inlay with just a bumper (for end protection) is going to hit better than multiple pieces - as long as the maker sounds his wood, uses good adhesives, and the wood has been aged accordingly. I have a full splice Balabushka with the splice made by Spain and the transmission from the hit on the cue ball to my hand is amazing, which shows how a good full splice should feel. From what I see on superior cues site, and what I have read about the John Davis full splice blanks, the John Davis Full Splice Blanks seem to be "meticulously" made, with materials selected for the highest quality therefore they would hit every bit as good, if not better as this Balabushka, ...........btw, nice to see you on az billiards, Marty! It's been a while!!!

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FullSplice

I would like to mention Jeff Prather and the Prather family.
They make full splice cues and blanks.

I picked one up from Jeff at Hopkin's Expo awhile back. At the time I was looking for a main player, and I found it.

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member
To a talented cue maker, making a full-slice cue would not, in all probability, be considered difficult to produce.
There are many out there who sell full-splice cues and blanks. Andy Gilbert, comes to mind, although I have heard they are only available in a finished cue.
I have owned, at one time or another, three John Davis full-splice blanks. His are as good as it gets. :smile:

Andy has only made 14 full splice cues,each one is individually numbered and he will not make any more as he say they are to hard to build,I was lucky enough to get #12
GilbertFullSplice1.jpg